Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agassi said his goal is to finish this year as the #1 player in the ATP race.

He would have to win this Madrid tournament to gain some decent ground on Hewitt. Anyone think he will be able to do it? Or will Hewitt step up and play his game to maintain the #1 ranking?

Geeez, I can't believe we are at the end of the year already!

·
SammySammySammy OiOiOi
12,534 Posts
Lleyton's tough, but Agassi's not exactly known for crumbling under pressure either! We have race on our hands.

I think Lleyton will come through unless he can't kick this latest series of illnesses in time.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i didn't know that Agassi had said this but i certainly hope that he finds a way to put his racquet where his mouth is! it would redeem his spanking by the android in new york. it certainly helps that the Potato seems to be running out of steam. fine with me...:angel: :angel: go Agassi!!!! finish the year as #1...and then quit Steffi style..;) ;)

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Agassi will have to get thru his first big challenge in the quarterfinals, against Ferrero (Lopez certainly challenged Agassi to the max, but it wasn't expected to be a blockbuster match).

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
go Agassi!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I hope not!:angel:

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
After the win in Madrid, his chances look pretty good!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
the cat said:
I don't think it would be a meaningful #1 to Agassi. Why? No slams. That's why.

And it is bizarre how Lleyton Hewitt has just dissappeared!

TC TC! :wavey:
He didn't disappear. He caught a virus and took a few weeks off to recover (and watch Kim). He's playing this week...and will have to be playing at his best to keep the #1 ranking with Agassi playing so well

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with the cat.

Lleyton has 1 slam and Andre has no slams that has to make a diff. But i hope Andre can or can try to be #1 by the end of the year. :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'm sure Agassi will try his very best because he needs something positive to happen in a year where once again he was trumped by Pete Sampras in a Grand Slam final. Pete can retire with a flourish on his career with this latest US Open trophy but Agassi is in danger of just withering away. I think the Masters will be very interesting because I'm sure Lleyton Hewitt wants to solidfy his number one status and this year's Wimbledon crown with a second year-end number one ranking. In fact, he's even said as much...that now he will be focusing on the number one ranking for this year.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i wonder why Pete isn't retiring with a flourish? :rolleyes:

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Looks like Agassi will most likely make it. With Hewitt losing in the second round this week and all...and with the way he's been playing recently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can't see why Agassi won't feel it's meaningful.
He did win 3 TMS tourneys & no-one else has won more than 1.
Also he did get to a Slam final + his opposition was far tougher than Lleytons at Wimbledon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts