Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
If some people here really think Paire's FH is better than his BH I don't know what to say. :facepalm:

And the players with the weaker FH don't run around to hit the BH because it takes much more effort to hit a BH, we are lazy by definition, in a sense. It's also harder to recover ground after dispositioning to hit a BH than from dispositioning to hit a FH.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's a tricky question because most don't really look at this topic in the correct light.

The vast majority of players have a forehand that is a significantly more effective shot than their backhand. Most players have more power, hit deeper, create better angles, and can reach more balls off their forehand wing. And this usually even remains true for players with very strong backhands.

There are notable exceptions, like Gasquet and Santoro. But I wouldn't put guys like Safin, Djokovic, Agassi, or Nalbandian in that category.

Just because some players have much stronger backhands relative to other players' backhands....doesn't mean that their backhand is a more effective shot than their own forehand. Put more plainly, just because Nalbandian had a fairly average forehand shot compared to his peers, and an amazing backhand shot compared to his peers, it doesn't necessarily mean that his backhand is a more effective shot than his forehand.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
It's a tricky question because most don't really look at this topic in the correct light.

The vast majority of players have a forehand that is a significantly more effective shot than their backhand. Most players have more power, hit deeper, create better angles, and can reach more balls off their forehand wing. And this usually even remains true for players with very strong backhands.

There are notable exceptions, like Gasquet and Santoro. But I wouldn't put guys like Safin, Djokovic, Agassi, or Nalbandian in that category.

Just because some players have much stronger backhands relative to other players' backhands....doesn't mean that their backhand is a more effective shot than their own forehand. Put more plainly, just because Nalbandian had a fairly average forehand shot compared to his peers, and an amazing backhand shot compared to his peers, it doesn't necessarily mean that his backhand is a more effective shot than his forehand.
Exactly, but Latso and others are reaching to the other extreme claiming there is no player with a better BH than his FH.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Only in defense for some players. No serious player at a professional level attacks better with his BH than FH.
Nalbandian, Safin and Gasquet all attack(ed) better with the BH. Of those, the first two had a very solid FH too, it's just that they could do pretty much anything with the BH. Anyone who has seen the angles they would create off that wing or how they would boss the point with the BH knows you're much better off playing to the FH.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nalbandian, Safin and Gasquet all attack(ed) better with the BH. Of those, the first two had a very solid FH too, it's just that they could do pretty much anything with the BH. Anyone who has seen the angles they would create off that wing or how they would boss the point with the BH knows you're much better off playing to the FH.
Maybe they produced better angles from BH, but control and pace? I doubt that. They didn't try to play BH from FH side, even on slower balls, which indicates they didn't feel that they attack better from BH wing.

AFAIK, Paire is the only player on Tour who does that, but he can act pretty clownish, so it's hard to treat him as a serious example.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Haven't you watched them?

Running around FH or BH is not something any serious player would do on a consistent basis if you ask me. It takes time that you usually do not have and even when you do, you do not want to be completely predictable or you're screwed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Haven't you watched them?

Running around FH or BH is not something any serious player would do on a consistent basis if you ask me. It takes time that you usually do not have and even when you do, you do not want to be completely predictable or you're screwed.
They wouldn't try to do it, cause they know their BH is still worse for attacking than their BH. FH is the shot that gives more control, when taking the ball on the rise, so it's always more suitable for attacking than BH.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Even if a player has a more mechanically sound backhand than forehand, they will hit more winners off the forehand because short balls are much easier to attack with the forehand. Of course it's possible players hit winners of short balls with their backhand, but any pro will have a good enough forehand to put them away.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Modern tennis strategy is always based off forehand. Players may feel more confident hitting their backhands, but all of them want to play to their forehand in order to win, no exception.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Forehand will nearly always be better. Much easier to defend from that side. Gasquet is the only player I can think of that probably has a better backhand.
What? There are tons of other players who have a better BH than FH. Paire, Gulbis, Nishikori, Murray, Haas, Troicki and Coric just to name a few.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
What? There are tons of other players who have a better BH than FH. Paire, Gulbis, Nishikori, Murray, Haas, Troicki and Coric just to name a few.
This sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Definitely disagree on Murray and nishikori though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Many players hit more winners with their backhand than with forehand. Santoro and Gasquet most of the time if not nearly always.

Safin, Gaudio, Kuerten definitely have a fair amount of matches hitting more winners from that side.

Even Djokovic must have a decent amount.

And there are many others.

While it's true that most players have better forehands, it's also true that in the majority of these cases, it's the player's fault that he's technically limited and can't do much with his backhand :)

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
I think even players with better BHs than FHs prefer using their FH as the finishing stroke. Plus you can hit I/O with your FH which is tough to do with the BH.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts