Mens Tennis Forums banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
27,177 Posts
Gasquet and Paire would be pretty dire players if they had mediocre backhands.

·
Registered
18,732 Posts
Best example is Benoit Paire.
Gasquet and Paire would be pretty dire players if they had mediocre backhands.
agreed with Manu_ser and leng jai.

leng jai, will you tell me what? Gasquet and Paire are good players for sure. how close are they privately? do they practice together? does being compatriots have something to do it with both being good at backhands?

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Gasquet and Paire are good players for sure. how close are they privately? do they practice together? does being compatriots have something to do it with both being good at backhands?
Hi ali :wavey:

Richard and Paire are friends and practice together sometimes, but I wouldn't say they are each other's closest friends on tour. For Paire, that is probably Wawrinka and ERV. And for Gasquet, it's Monfils, Tsonga, Gilles Simon and Nadal. I don't know much about the development of Paire's backhand, but Richard used one hand right from the start - there is video of him at age 4, when the racquet is almost bigger than he is, and he's hitting a one-handed backhand. He never started with 2 hands, like many kids do until they are strong enough. He describes his backhand as being very natural for him, and it just seems like something he was always able to do very, very well.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I just began tennis lessons in July of this year, but I would say my backhand is better than my forehand. With a two-handed backhand, I have a much better grip.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
well gasquet s backhand is so much better than his forehand same goess for paire ,gulbis,even stans backhand is his most natural shot ,nole s backhand seems better than his forehand and you can make a case for nishikori also ,I think there are other players with a better backhand than forehand just not as well known .I myself could hit a ok 1 hander from my first time on the court(I ve practiced it at my home with the wall),yet my forehand is crap I can sometimes hit a good winner but mostly it just goes all over the place,I have to change something I guess..

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is nice to see you guys argueing to the death because all of you just "know it all" and have no other argument than "everyone must see it". Lets look at some numbers, shall we?

Wing - PointEnds - Winners - InducedForcedErrors - UE - InPointsWon*
Djokovic
FH - 20 % - 7 % - 5 % - 7 % - 56 %
BH - 15 % - 4 % - 4 % - 8 % - 52 %

Murray
FH - 19 % - 7 % - 5 % - 8 % - 52 %
BH - 14 % - 4 % - 3 % - 7 % - 49 %

Haas
FH - 21 % - 6 % - 4 % - 12 %- 49 %
BH - 16 % - 4 % - 2 % - 10 %- 46 %

Wawrinka
FH - 26 % - 9 % - 5 % - 11 %- 51 %
BH - 19 % - 5 % - 3 % - 10 %- 48 %

Paire
FH - 28 % - 10 %- 5 % - 13 %- 48 %
BH - 28 % - 9 % - 4 % - 16 %- 45 %

Safin
FH - 23 % - 7 % - 6 % - 9 % - 50 %
BH - 19 % - 5 % - 5 % - 9 % - 49 %

Gasquet
FH - 18 % - 6 % - 4 % - 8 % - 47 %
BH - 16 % - 5 % - 3 % - 7 % - 47 %

None of these players have better number on backhand than on forehand. Everyone with exception of Paire use forehand more often than backhand as his "ending shot" (does not matter if winner or error). Everyone with NO exception has more W + IndFcd than UE. Everyone with exception of Gasquet is more likely to lose the point when he plays from his backhand side than when he plays from his forehand side.

When we go by the numbers noone has better backhand than forehand. Few players like Safin or Gasquet are really close to have equally good backhand and forehand (however still a little worse backhand) but this is as far as any player went.

*Eg. Djokovic's FH - Out of 100 forehands he plays 20 of them end the rally, out of which 7 are winners, 5 are induced forced errors (means opponents forced errors) and 7 are unforced errors. Out of 100 rally he played forehand in he wins 56 of them.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts