Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? To continue my discussion from another thread I thought it made sense to create another thread related to the topic.

A certain forum member believes no player in open era history possessed a better backhand than forehand.

In 2006 Blake and Andreev played a final in Australia, early season, Blake won in a third set TB. Igor has always been all about his FH and some serving, nothing else. And he nearly beats him. I believe it's pretty solid as an argument.
Despite Igor's FH has always been better than Blake's, for me there is no doubt ever.

Agassi - as you say the guy couldn't move, made a couple Qfs that year, but except the legs missing he had everything else on, so you just can't say Blake's FH was better.

Davydenko ended the year higher ranked than Blake (3rd vs 4th)...his FH was indeed better than James' back then, the BH's similar, James' serve was better, so they were almost tied overall quality wise.

Nalbandian - i accept my mistake on this one, now that i think of it, it's rather questionable, yet Bandy was a top player back then, ofc based on his BH quality more than the FH.

Safin perhaps i'm wrong again, i don't remember 2006 that specifically and you being a fan of the guy most probably could tell better.

But Gonzo (he's among the top 5 FHs of all time, we're not speaking years here, it's uncomparable), Verdasco (ended the year 26th, the worst choker of all time at that moment, but 26th on one exceptional shot only - his FH!), Soderling (was just coming up, 3Qfs, 3Sfs, 1F, based on one and only one shot at the time, just as Verdasco, his signature FH) you can't just dismiss like that.

These guys made careers or breakthroughs at that time based on their unique special FHs, while James' peak has been based on much more qualities, like his great footwork, great FH AND BH, serve.

Anyways, i won't enter the BHs compaisons, coz really with Kiefer in 2006, Berdych, half South America, etc. against the #4 at the time with better BHs...it would be too long, it will be again useless, as you can't prove to me that fish soup is better than chicken soup, you just can't, you know what i mean.

I believe the misunderstanding comes rather from ppl comparing his FH to his BH is real terms, which is laughable ofc, as with a handful of exceptions, Open Era wise there are no male players with a better BH than FH.

We even had a thread about it and i believe it was proves biomechanically, biochemically, nuclear physically, mentally and in any possible way on Earth.

So there's never been a question about that.
Andreev was useless on fast surfaces and ok on slow surfaces but not really a standout player in either regard. His forehand required time and even then the shot was nowhere near as penetrating as the Blake bullet.

Davydenko's backhand was miles ahead of Blake's in 2006, yet you think they're level in that regard. Says it all.

How you can even compare Soderling and Verdasco's forehand in 2006 to Blake's I will never know. I like how you ignore the fact that Verdasco and particularly Soderling had pretty good serves too.

By your logic of the bolded, that means that Carlos Moya who was barely inside the world's top 20 at some point in 2002 did not possess a better forehand than Tommy Haas who almost topped the rankings, when evidently Moya's forehand was way better.

I've studied biomechanics and what you're saying about biomechanics is utter nonsense. It doesn't even make any sense, I don't even know where to begin.

No player has had a better backhand than forehand in open era? Let me give you only 3 examples. Marat Safin: Generated more power and more consistency without even the slightest doubt. Richard Gasquet: As like Safin but his forehand is a complete disaster which makes it easier. Gaston Gaudio: Way more consistent, could direct the ball much better off that wing, could flatten the ball out much better and thus more power.

Oppose these players.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I just replied in the other thread and now it's gone :(

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
For sure, yes. A forehand will hit more winners usually, but a backhand can be the better shot. Nobody thinks Paire has a better FH than BH. I think Djokovic, Murray, and Agassi all have/had better BHs than FHs.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Yes, it is possible, but I'd say 90% of players on tour have a better forehand than backhand.

An interesting question is, if there was a mid-court ball that was just sitting up, with the player having enough time to adjust and hit either a forehand or a backhand, would they always go for the forehand?

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Not if you want to be a great player.

Yes, it is possible, but I'd say 90% of players on tour have a better forehand than backhand.

An interesting question is, if there was a mid-court ball that was just sitting up, with the player having enough time to adjust and hit either a forehand or a backhand, would they always go for the forehand?
I've seen players run around a forehand to hit a backhand this year. Paire or Gulbis I think.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
yes

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Not if you want to be a great player.
Not really. Otherwise you are saying Agassi, Safin, Nalbandian, Djokovic, Edberg, and Murray weren't/aren't great players.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
In fact, on the women's tour, it's fairly common.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Not really. Otherwise you are saying Agassi, Safin, Nalbandian, Djokovic, Edberg, and Murray weren't/aren't great players.
Their forehands are better than their backhands. Not in comparison to the tour, but if they have a choice they'd hit a forehand to finish off a ball.

(not sure about edberg though, never seen him play)

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,334 Posts
Murray's backhand is far better, although his forehand has improved. Djokovic's is better, but only slightly since he's very solid off both sides.

Gasquet's backhand is so much better than his forehand, which is mediocre at best.
Wawrinka's too, in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Their forehands are better than their backhands. Not in comparison to the tour, but if they have a choice they'd hit a forehand to finish off a ball.

Most guys finish short balls with their forehands, but it doesn't mean it's a stronger wing. Nobody thinks Safin's FH was better than his BH.

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here, to save you guys some time - http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=277121&highlight=biomechanical

Burrow is excused coz he's a smart poster, some others, which i won't quote can hide in their corner in shame.

p.s. will start reading and answering your post Burrow, gimme a minute :D
The American boy with the Murray avatar makes a decent analysis for a layman but he's talking about the inside out shot, he's not talking about the actual backhand in general. He's explaining why it's more natural to hit an inside out forehand than backhand.

Absolutely irrespective of biomechanical differences, some players have better backhands than forehands. Just like some players may genuinely enjoy hitting the backhand smash, whilst being one of the most technically awkward shots in tennis.

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Safin's forehand was better than his backhand?

Please stop embarrassing yourself. I only respond to Safin because he's the most classic example of anyone in the history of the game. Edberg is pretty obvious too but the gulf in class between Safin's backhand and forehand is unbelievable.

Agreeed with Sapeod and Kyle.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Is it possible? To continue my discussion from another thread I thought it made sense to create another thread related to the topic.

A certain forum member believes no player in open era history possessed a better backhand than forehand.

Andreev was useless on fast surfaces and ok on slow surfaces but not really a standout player in either regard. His forehand required time and even then the shot was nowhere near as penetrating as the Blake bullet.

Davydenko's backhand was miles ahead of Blake's in 2006, yet you think they're level in that regard. Says it all.

How you can even compare Soderling and Verdasco's forehand in 2006 to Blake's I will never know. I like how you ignore the fact that Verdasco and particularly Soderling had pretty good serves too.

By your logic of the bolded, that means that Carlos Moya who was barely inside the world's top 20 at some point in 2002 did not possess a better forehand than Tommy Haas who almost topped the rankings, when evidently Moya's forehand was way better.

I've studied biomechanics and what you're saying about biomechanics is utter nonsense. It doesn't even make any sense, I don't even know where to begin.

No player has had a better backhand than forehand in open era? Let me give you only 3 examples. Marat Safin: Generated more power and more consistency without even the slightest doubt. Richard Gasquet: As like Safin but his forehand is a complete disaster which makes it easier. Gaston Gaudio: Way more consistent, could direct the ball much better off that wing, could flatten the ball out much better and thus more power.

Oppose these players.
It's all in the link above, greatly explained by BHDTL.

I won't oppose the few exceptions ofc coz it will add fuel to a non discussion. I can add for you Paire and Gasquet.

That makes 5 players from a few thousand. I think it's pretty unbalanced..

Even those guys though, you play a ball at them in the middle of the court - none would play a BH, all of them will play a FH and that says it all. Even with the exception cases.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
There are many players with more solid backhands than forehands.

Even Seppi for example, forehand may be more dangerous but twohanded backhand is more steady.
Benneteau who we just saw losing to Murray comes to mind as well.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Safin's forehand was club level. His backhand was the only good thing.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Most guys finish short balls with their forehands, but it doesn't mean it's a stronger wing. Nobody thinks Safin's FH was better than his BH.
That's because his backhand is compared to other backhands and his forehands to other forehands.

So his backhand was top 3 material, and his forehand, well i have no idea, let's say top 15. Therefore his backhand is remembered as his stronger wing, and it is, but the forehand shot is still the better shot on itself. FH > BH.

There are a few examples where the BH is the better shot in general, but there aren't many and certainly not on top in today's power game. A good forehand is vital. Murray only won slams after he improved his FH, despite always having a worldclass BH.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts