Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can a convicted player redeem himself in your eyes?

• Yes, no grudge hold against him

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No, I have will have trouble for the rest of his career

Votes: 13 40.6%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested whether you can look at a certain player the same as in the past before he was convicted for illegal substance. Are you capable to forgive and leave it all behind?
I have asked meself this question alot lately, ever since Cilic won USO. Cilic has been suspended, because he tested positive for nikethamide.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10313784/Marin-Cilic-given-nine-month-ban-for-positive-drugs-test-after-taking-glucose-tablet.html

There was no antagonism from my side, Cilic winning USO was a breath of fresh air in my opinion which is good for tennis, but soon after he won the USO Cilic completely disapeared from the radar. I'm not too fund of that so from my point of view I'm judging him on the past. Can you blame me?

To answer the question from personal view, no I cant forgive a certain player entirely, as you can see if he stretches the line, I will hold it against him.
What's your take on this case? Note that I have used Cilic as a prime example to clarify my case, I would apreciate if we could refer a convicted player as Mr X to prevent any accusation involving other players. I mainly want to know if you're capable to forgive and what's your take when Mr X wins a slam? What are your final thoughts about his career achievements?

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
I'm interested whether you can look at a certain player the same as in the past before he was convicted for illegal substance. Are you capable to forgive and leave it all behind?
I have asked meself this question alot lately, ever since Cilic won USO. Cilic has been suspended, because he tested positive for nikethamide.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10313784/Marin-Cilic-given-nine-month-ban-for-positive-drugs-test-after-taking-glucose-tablet.html

There was no antagonism from my side, Cilic winning USO was a breath of fresh air in my opinion which is good for tennis, but soon after he won the USO Cilic completely disapeared from the radar. I'm not too fund of that so from my point of view I'm judging him on the past. Can you blame me?

To answer the question from personal view, no I cant forgive a certain player entirely, as you can see if he stretches the line, I will hold it against him.
What's your take on this case? Note that I have used Cilic as a prime example to clarify my case, I would apreciate if we could refer a convicted player as Mr X to prevent any accusation involving other players. I mainly want to know if you're capable to forgive and what's your take when Mr X wins a slam?
That's so thoughtful of you, shitting only on one player instead of a couple.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's so thoughtful of you, shitting only on one player instead of a couple.
You can use example of convicted players but thats at your own risk, accusing someone without evidence might be punished. I inplented Mr X for your own protection.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's hard for me to forgive because whatever results you achieved were stolen from somebody else. Puerta reaching Roland Garros final still twists my knickers to this day. That dude has a grand slam final under his belt and it's wrong.

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
It's hard for me to forgive because whatever results you achieved were stolen from somebody else. Puerta reaching Roland Garros final still twists my knickers to this day. That dude has a grand slam final under his belt and it's wrong.
Yeah, I already forgave him, though it was Kolya's best chance to get into a Slam's final and would have been an epic five setter against Nadal. Thing is Nadal saved tennis, even a doped tennis player couldn't handle him.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes. Convicted players can redeem themselves by bringing food to homeless people, collecting trash on a dump, helping blind people to cross the street and such activities in next 20 years.

·
Your visions will happen
48,543 Posts
MTF: "I will forgive him if he beats that one guy that I don't like"

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Never.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Depends what they were convicted for, and during what time period, not all dopings are the same, but i'm not surprised Yoda can't grasp the difference.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Convicted players can redeem themselves by bringing food to homeless people, collecting trash on a dump, helping blind people to cross the street and such activities in next 20 years.
And how do you look at his tennis achievements?

Depends what they were convicted for, and during what time period, not all dopings are the same, but i'm not surprised Yoda can't grasp the difference.
Not all murders are the same, but should be punished nevertheless.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It depends on whether it was accidental or intentional. Cilic inadvertently took a PED in a supplement. Wayne Odesnik was caught with the stuff in his luggage.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about you start making sense for a change?

Yes, punished, but not in the same manner. Would you look the same at someone who euthanized his dying family member and someone who killed someone in cold blood?
I believe my example will provide a better indicator in a sense of justice.

You have cold blood murder and a husband who works his ass off to come home find his wife sleeping in the same bed with another man. It's a harsh reality, but killing or having illegal subtances must be punished, regardless the sympathy a man deserves.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Forgiveness is for the weak ... bring the death penalty for doping, and the problem goes away overnight. I have no problem with Cilic though. I saw him from a different camera angle recently, and he did kind of look cute.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Of course.

People love people that go from zero to hero. If Fognini beats Nadal in the final of RG he will become one of the favorite players of the forum.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
It's bad for the sport in any case but I go by the rule. "Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
So Odesnik gets everything he deserves because he knew about it beforehand. Benefit of the doubt for the others and if they did resort to PEDs or the like, you'd hope they'd learn from their mistakes, because everyone makes mistakes of different kinds. Cilic winning a slam afterwards is a rare case and I can understand the sentiment against him, as I am a fan of the player he beat in the final (Goran said it was 'justice' for Cilic in regards to the allegations???).

But yes, they can definitely be redeemed IMO, unless they've lied all along and mad a big story out of it (most famous example being Lance Armstrong...who doesn't hate him to his guts for his baloney act! :mad:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts