Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I never saw this video before, I am also aware they are just highlights but still, how often do you see a journeyman crushing a top player this way in a slam! :)

This feels a bit like Rosol's performance, although the match went to 5 sets mainly because of Nadal never die attitude.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Lleyton Hewitt was always somewhat overrated to begin with and by then had already declined quite a bit, Agustin Calleri was always a good player who had shown what he can do long before this match. This is no more surprising than Dmitry Tursunov beating Tim Henman on his home turf in 2005.

In recent times, i would say this is similar to Reilly Opelka defeating Stanislas Wawrinka last year at Wimbledon and i am sure there are similar examples too.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Great highlights, somewhat hard to believe this guy never made it past 3rd round at a slam, he must have really been in the zone that day

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Was Hewitt injured or something? Some shots he clearly don't move where he could... others he seem quite slow

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Argentines hated Hewitt and were extra motivated to kick his ass. Maybe that factored into this pretty big upset. I remember being at the Open this day and leaving while this match was going on, walking by Armstrong while they were on court thinking Hewitt would win it comfortably. Big upset indeed.

Reactions: UsD.AnDreS

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was quite shocked by this match at the time. Hewitt was my favourite for a while, but Federer had overtaken him earlier in the year as a personal favourite ;) Hard to see him lose such a winnable match for him.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Guess what Calleri did next round after beating Hewitt? He lost to Monaco in 3 sets 67 26 46. Calleri finished his career two years later in 2009 at age 33.

Hewitt won the h2h vs Calleri, 2007 Hamburg on clay Hewitt won 6364. And 2005 Adelaide Hewitt won 61 64. Truly a magical match by Calleri at 2007 US Open.

Reactions: TennisBetMaster

·
|
15,331 Posts
Hewitt had a fortunate career, and was allowed to play Nalbanidan in a Wimbledon Final, and was a little fortunate to play Sampras in the 2001 US Open Final after Sampras had beaten Rafter, Agassi and Safin.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Calleri wasn't a journeyman, he was the typical inconsistent ballbasher that could put performances like this one and then lose to players outside the TOP 200.

This performance was fantastic but his most iconic was destroying Ferrero when he was #1 in a Davis Cup final on clay courts in Spain.

He also had a great performance against Agassi in Miami 2004, straight-setting him despite serving like 30% first serves in one of the sets. He was unplayable from the baseline.

He beat Hewitt, Agassi, Ferrero, Roddick, Safin, Kuerten, Nalbandian, etc. so he wasn't really an anomaly that he'd cause an upset.

A performance that was talked about a bit at the time when he was just starting his career was against Sampras at the USO, he lost but caused him a bit of trouble when he was #1 and winning slams regularly.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
:) I never saw this video before, I am also aware they are just highlights but still, how often do you see a journeyman crushing a top player this way in a slam! :)

This feels a bit like Rosol's performance, although the match went to 5 sets mainly because of Nadal never die attitude.

Hewitt was not as good at this time, seeded 16th in this tournament. Calleri played well but Hewitt let many shots whiz by.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Calleri was not a journeyman in the first place. He had a top ranking of 16 and 11 top 10 wins in his career. He also once beat current world number 1 Ferrero in a Davis cup match. Not more surprising than the wins of Darcis, Brown or Rosol against Nadal, Stakhovsky or Millman against Federer or Chung and Cecchinato against Djokovic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not more surprising than the wins of Darcis, Brown or Rosol against Nadal, Stakhovsky or Millman against Federer or Chung and Cecchinato against Djokovic.
I meant the way he beat Hewitt here, cannot compare with Millman or Cecchinato, indeed the Rosol match was even more impressive.

Calleri wasn't a journeyman, he was the typical inconsistent ballbasher that could put performances like this one and then lose to players outside the TOP 200.

He beat Hewitt, Agassi, Ferrero, Roddick, Safin, Kuerten, Nalbandian, etc. so he wasn't really an anomaly that he'd cause an upset.
Calleri was not a journeyman in the first place. He had a top ranking of 16 and 11 top 10 wins in his career.
Journeyman doesn't mean average player. Of course Caleri was a journeyman. You are listing wins over top 10 players but check for example Chardy, the definition of a journeyman, yet has wins over Federer, Murray, Del Potro, Davydenko, Berdych, Tsonga (Medvedev last year)...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Argentines hated Hewitt and were extra motivated to kick his ass. Maybe that factored into this pretty big upset. I remember being at the Open this day and leaving while this match was going on, walking by Armstrong while they were on court thinking Hewitt would win it comfortably. Big upset indeed.
Why?

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
In recent times, i would say this is similar to Reilly Opelka defeating Stanislas Wawrinka last year at Wimbledon and i am sure there are similar examples too.
Dafuq?

Stan probably wasnt even the favorite for that match lol

Or was that your point? To mention a match where the favorite won?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Journeyman doesn't mean average player. Of course Caleri was a journeyman. You are listing wins over top 10 players but check for example Chardy, the definition of a journeyman, yet has wins over Federer, Murray, Del Potro, Davydenko, Berdych, Tsonga (Medvedev last year)...
Then you have a different definition for journeyman than I do. For me, someone who reaches the top 20 during his career is a high level tennis player, not a journeyman. Chardy is not a journeyman either, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Dafuq?

Stan probably wasnt even the favorite for that match lol

Or was that your point? To mention a match where the favorite won?
Reilly Opelka is no better on grass than Stanislas Wawrinka. I meant to say a former slam champion, past his best, losing to a dangerous opponent outside top 50. A small upset that some could have seen coming.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts