Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
We could definitely seen an Isner-Mahut repeat with Isner and Raonic haha. I do like the 5th set tiebreaker because some five setters just get far too draining and don't forget tiebreakers can go a long way too like 20-18.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm against this. You should have to break serve to win the final set. I know that you can still win a match with three tie-breakers, but that's a practical way to shorten matches. The final set should be left as it is. In fact, I don't think the USO should have a tie-break in the fifth set.

BJK was going on again the other day about men playing 3 sets, that would be a total disaster for me. Everything is catered for short attention spans nowadays. Why not play best of 3, no deuces, first to 4 games? That way everyone can get on social media quicker once it's done...

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Nonsense. Can't disagree more. US Open is the worst GS and one of the reasons is the dumb TB in the final set - it's totally anti-climactic and more flukes happen that way. If players are completely even for 5 sets then I definitely don't want the winner to be decided by couple of points (often one lost service point in TB means a loss) - winner has to break the service, there is no other way to win - that's great.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am against tiebreaker in ANY sets. A marathon first set in who a servebot with horrible return and wear him down in next match in the major. No way he would recover this in 48 hours. You do not want to see him in latter stage of the major so it's important for any servebot to focus on returning game as well. In old days, there were no tiebreak and it worked well until tiebreak was introduced, while it shorten the matches, it ruined the draw with a 50/50 breakers. Servebot came into the scene once it was introduced.

·
Your visions will happen
47,142 Posts
I've been calling for a TB at 10-10 in the 5th set for years now

Would not have changed the Federer result though, I still feel you should have to break but if it gets to 10 all, I mean, come on, let us play the TB and get outta here

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Fifth set tiebreak at the US Open is the joke and has to be removed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tiebreaks, as implemented, are trash. On the one hand, they're the only period in an entire match where scoring becomes logical -- a point lost on serve must be won back on return -- but they're tiny samples tacked on to much larger samples during which one player has generally demonstrated a clear advantage only to be forced back to even footing. If things had been invented or were currently run by someone even halfway intelligent, they'd just play "tiebreaks" of larger samples from the outset instead of wasting time on 12 games of nonsense and then finishing with something half-assed.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
We could definitely seen an Isner-Mahut repeat with Isner and Raonic haha. I do like the 5th set tiebreaker because some five setters just get far too draining and don't forget tiebreakers can go a long way too like 20-18.
Hope is not lost. Isner and Anderson meet on Friday.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
"No" to 5th set tie-breaks. Let the player earn the break in the final set and be the deserved winner of the match, and not by luck or a mishit or two by the opponent. You have tiebreaks to make use of in the first 4 sets, and no one is stopping a player/servebot to hold on to his service games and make use of the tiebreaks in the first 4 sets, and win the match even before the match gets to the 5th set.

Tiebreaks in tennis are like penalty shootouts in soccer. Cancel the tiebreakers in US Open too.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
No way, the fact that the other slams have 5th sets that can go the distance is what makes them so fascinating. As it stands it's ONLY the 5th set of the match ,if it goes that far. why take that away? There's no logical reason that players should be playing infinite games into the 5th even WITH the rule existing. what's stopping players from stepping up and breaking one another?

I like the 5th set going until someone cracks. It's a fascinating dynamic, back and forth. Having a 5th set tiebreak (when you could potentially have had tiebreaks in any of the former 4 sets) is just boring and anticlimactic.

THere's something special about a match going the distance and then reaching a unique timeline where the set changes dynamic when compared with others.

I'll agree with some that the US Open is more boring in terms of lacking the 5th-set distance rule. Still a great slam but we see tons of tiebreaks as it is, it's a zzzz-fest to have a match end on one

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I think a middle-ground of 12-12, Race to 10 w/ advantage of 2 points tiebreaker can work.
I don't really understand the issue here from some of you- you all realize that the number of pro matches at slams that go beyond 10-8 or so in the 5th are incredibly minuscule right? we're talking like 0.5% or something, it happens like 2 times a slam in the mens game

just to put it into perspective: in the mens draw at Wimbledon this year there have been a total of THREE (3) matches that went the distance (around 10-8 area). All other matches ended earlier in the 5th. this is a total non problem

·
Registered
372 Posts
No first set tiebreak and all in other 5 sets too. Just imagine this, a servebot that cannot return would go like this: 14-12, 4-6, 10-12, 11-9, 14-12, then he would be too worn out for his next match and knocked out early in any major tournament. It would hurts his ranking and is not sustainable in a long run and actually weed out the servebot. If you want this to happen, you must remove the tiebreak from the rulebook.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts