Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kacper already showed what he is capable of when he played in ATP Cup, beating Novak and giving Cilic a real test. Top 50 material here.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Nice win for Zuk.

I know Vasek scheduled this but he played a lot the last while. I wonder if he would have withdrawn if this Challenger wasn't in Canada.

Anyway, IW and Miami up next.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
I thought Vasek Pospisil was playing top 20 tennis, according to some chief MTF experts?

The Canadian legend has just lost to a club player.

·
justice for all
12,924 Posts
I thought Vasek Pospisil was playing top 20 tennis, according to some chief MTF experts?

I agree some exaggerated with their optimism regarding Pospisil's potential but "to a club player"? That itself is too big of emphasis methinks.

·
Registered
21,187 Posts
I agree some exaggerated with their optimism regarding Pospisil's potential but "to a club player"? That itself is too big of emphasis methinks.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought all players outside the world's top 300 were chosen at random. Committee leaders at specially selected clubs around the world put a few names in a hat and that's how we have these guys like Kacper Zuk living it up.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought all players outside the world's top 300 were chosen at random. Committee leaders at specially selected clubs around the world put a few names in a hat and that's how we have these guys like Kacper Zuk living it up.
This loss must have given you great satisfaction. Surely before you must have had some doubt about your judgement and simpleness.

·
Registered
999 Posts
People lose to mugs all the time in challengers then perform well in ATP stage. I doubt Pospisil put his heart and soul in this dumbass tournament. The guy recently beat Medvedev and Shapovalov so he’s playing pretty well I would say.

·
Registered
324 Posts
He should have just skipped this event to begin with, or played in Dubai/Acapulco instead. Really not sure what was the point of him playing here after the amazing runs he's had in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Kacper, the man from my courts :yeah:

Last year he had the option to go to the college or to try turn pro. He chose the latter after many hesitations, cause going to the college to play tennis when you can play on his level - it is the safe way. He chose the risky way and it is paying off. Last year he made a gigantic step from being basically a club player to 3 or 4 ITF titles. This year it is getting even better. First Top100 win in his career.

well done

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Stupid comment. Club player? I didn't see the match but i'm sure his opponent was extremely motivated for this and played well. Pospisil beat Goffin, Medvedev, Shapo, etc. in recent weeks. These losses happen sometimes. Dimitrov lost to a player ranked 400 or so, and then a few weeks later reached the semis at the US open.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Noah Rubin

Quick shoutout to
@VasekPospisil
. The maple syrup thing is cool but to play a challenger after the success at the ATP level this year, at home, and make no excuses after a tough loss should be getting the press. Need to start celebrating the people and mental wins not just tennis
4:43 PM · Feb 27, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Despite playing well for three straight weeks in Europe, Vasek still flew all the way to Calgary to hold up a commitment to play a home challenger that had spent the last few months advertising all around him. He was never going deep here, he had nothing mentally or physically left to give and shouldn't be trashed for it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Destroys Aragone #274. Easy opponent - Aragone has never played challenger final. Thankfully so. Dont think he ever will.

Kamke next. We will see whats going on.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Kacper will now play vs Artur Rinderknech in the semis. He's not really that far from Grand Slam qualies, which is a massive thing for a player like him

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kacper will now play vs Artur Rinderknech in the semis. He's not really that far from Grand Slam qualies, which is a massive thing for a player like him
You make it sound like he is a random mug, which really isn't the case. The guy has top 100 potential.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You make it sound like he is a random mug, which really isn't the case. The guy has top 100 potential.
Yeah, I know, but tennis in Poland is just random. It isn't a system which makes player like Hurkacz, Janowicz or Radwanska, but rather money and determination of their parents. Zuk two years ago was playing on a court next to me, among other amateurs. Of course he was head and shoulders above everybody, but still it was a mug court for mug players in a mug district. Now seeing him fighting for the titles and breaking Top300 is just WOW. I thought he will stay on the mug courts and become a coach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts