Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only watched the final set tiebreak and I must say that Thiem is a mug of the highest order. Diego really pumped in front of his home crowd.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thiem was absolutely cruising at a set and 4-1. Went walkabouts mentally. Then was 4-1 up in deciding set and went again.

In the second set I couldn’t see how Diego could possibly win.

I’m a massive Thiem fan, he’s often a mug on hard courts but this type of match on clay is worrying. I think he’s fried mentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Does Thiem seems weaker physically than before to anyone else? Girlfriend bleeding him dry? And why is he waiting for Schwatzman's 140 km/h 1st serve 3 m behind the baseline? It's just 1st tournament for him after AO tho, may get in better form still.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Only watched the 3rd set TB.
Some of those ROS shanks were deplorable.

Hopefully he gets his sh!t together in Rio.
Happy for Diego though.Final in his home country tournament.He was very emotional after winning yesterday's match

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well, I saw the whole match and in the first set, Dominic was playing really well, but from the half of the second set, it seems that he was not feeling well, apparently he has not trained yet much since his injury at the AO, so all in all, you can't ask him to play at his best already on clay.
He was a break up too in the third set, then Schwartzman came back or Thiem tanked, but when serving for the match at 5/4, Diego was very nervous and Domi made some nice winners.
These are two of my favourites players but it was not a great match to be honest. Diego did not play so well, but Thiem in some ways offered to his friend the victory.
I hope Diego can win tomorrow, that would be beautiful in front of his home crowd, but he will feel the nerves and Cecchinato played very well today against Pella (who was very tired too), so Cecchinato is slight favourite I think to win

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
Thiem was a mug now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the beast sometime during clay season.
He will probably lift for European clay.

Quite a recovery from Diego.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
A mugfest of the highest order with the highlight being 3 shanked returns on 140 kph serves from Thiem in the TB. This could have been such a great match but we got this shit instead. I wanna feel good for Diego now but that's close to impossible after witnessing another historical meltdown from my other fav

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Does Thiem seems weaker physically than before to anyone else? Girlfriend bleeding him dry? And why is he waiting for Schwatzman's 140 km/h 1st serve 3 m behind the baseline? It's just 1st tournament for him after AO tho, may get in better form still.
I didn't watch Thiem at all this season to see how he looks physically, but I've read somewhere he had some illness .I don't know how reliable source was as they described it as "mysterious":unsure:

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
Luckily for both players, the constant breaks and the drama helped making this match look a lot better than it actually was. Unlike most spectators I personally was more bummed to see Dominic crumble like this than happy for Diego but this is tennis. Conditions were dreadful all week long with a very heavy and humid heat. The sun hit really hard and breathing well was fairly difficult. Still have high hopes for Domi 2/3 on clay isn't so bad. Plenty of time to pick up his game.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I didn't watch Thiem at all this season to see how he looks physically, but I've read somewhere he had some illness .I don't know how reliable source was as they described it as "mysterious":unsure:
He did look sick in Australia. Don't know what it is it now, but he's not grinding tirelessly like usual.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thought Dom would lose after his passive match point, that's a point he'd obviously like another chance at.

Oh well onto Acapulco or whichever random event he'll pop up at.

Nice chance for Diego to win a home title, hope he takes it as very likeable player.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Except for Thiem's first set level, the whole match was muggish. Extreme mugness.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
After that disgusting disaster against Dull in NYC Domi was never the same and become this MUG
He won St. Petersburg and made the Paris SF after :lol:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I was there, amazing match drama-wise, the atmosphere was great :hearts:
Peque started really bad with a lot of DF and 40% of 1st serves. It was more or less the same till 4-2 in the second when Domi started to hit more UEs and Diego raised his game pumped by the crowd
In the 3rd Thiem was outplaying Diego easily but again started to play bad again at 4-1 and Peque took his chances, that match point with 2 net cords at 5-6 saved by Diego was amazing I almost died in the crowd :lol: And the TB too
This is easily the best match that I saw live
Thank you guys!!

Go for the title now Peque!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts