Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went today to my hometown tournament. Qualies are free (thankfully!), and I saw many matches today. Since there's not a lot of interest I'll just lump all of them together.

Matches started in courts 2 and 3 at 11.00 AM. Bahamonde-Duran in Court 2 and Garín-Cecchinato in Court 3. It doesn't take a very clever tennis fan to see which match was more interesting :lol: I went to Court 3, of course (and since they're together, I could hear what happened in the other court).

The first set, it was pretty close. Garin played offensively, trying to dictate points with his excellent heavy forehand, and mostly succeeded. Both were broken to start, and I thought it was going to be one of *those* matches when holding is the new breaking, so to speak. Thankfully I was wrong, and their serves got a bit better after that. Garin dominated the exchanges from the back, Cecchinato was forced to defend most times, and the level was quite good. Cecchinato showed some ability for the dropshot (tried 3 in the first set, all were winners), and his serve was marginally better than Garin's, who started a bit slowly and had more trouble holding. Near the end of the first set, it seemed as Garin was finally gaining the upper hand, but they were even. Hold, hold, hold, etc. Until Garín served to stay in the set, 5*-6... he promptly collapsed and gifted the set away :facepalm: a real shame it was. The second set was no contest, Cecchinato walked away with it, I thought Garin was gone, mentally. GSM Cecchinato 7-5 6-1.

In Court 2, Duran (the big favourite) won 6-0 4-6 6-3, and Collarini swept Clezar 7-5 6-3 in Court 1.

I took a little break to watch some training sessions. I watched Nieminen and Rola first (managed to make Jarkko laugh a bit, success!). Neither is a natural claycourter, but from what I saw today, Nemo has more than enough to defeat Olivo (his R1 opponent). Rola will probably lose to Vesely, though. After they left, Delbonis with Robert. Delbo was pretty focused and I think he should be able to defeat PCB. Robert was pretty cool, chatted a bit and took some photos (wanted a pic with Delbo but he was swarmed too fast. dammit)

I went back to Court 2 for a moment, watched a bit of Carballes Baena - Molteni. Molteni took the first set, rather easily, 6-2, and then it turned into a dramatic match, with the usual reactions from our crowd. I left for Court 3 as I wanted to see Quinzi-Monteiro, but you'd hear chanting constantly (vamos Molto all the time, singing, lots of noise, you know the deal). Carballes led 4-0 in the second, but Molteni broke back and put a ton of pressure on him. Still the Spaniard won that one, 6-4, and switfly broke back, twice, went 4-0 *again* :lol: , but Andres fought back once again, Carballes served for the match at 5-4, but Molteni broke to 30, and finally edged the match in the tiebreak, Molteni 6-2 4-6 7-6(4)

In Court 3, Quinzi faced Monteiro. Both young players, who were well rated (Quinzi specially) and haven't achieved a lot yet. They're 19 and 20 respectively so there's still time. Overall, I was impressed by Monteiro, heavy groundstrokes, very good on the defense, and (this one was a real surprise) he had a pretty good serve. Fast, well placed, good topspin on it too.

When they rallied, they were evenly matched, Monteiro just a little bit better. However, Quinzi's serve made the difference today. It's just dreadful. Low percentage, many doublefaults in the first set (4 DF's in 4 service games), and while he got away with it for a while, as Quinzi was being rather clutch (saved BP*2 at 0*-1, and looked in trouble at 1*-2, got lucky with a netcord), he finally got broken at 3*-4. After that, Monteiro had a little stumble, and faced the first (and last) BP of the match while serving for the set, but he saved it with a great service winner DTL, and closed it, 6-3.

The second was even closer, it looked like Quinzi had managed to get control of his own serve... until he served, at a crucial point in the set, at 4*-4, he got broken, and Monteiro served the match out to 15. GSM Monteiro 6-3 6-4, I was definitely impressed with his level, and it's a shame he's playing the #1 seed Bagnis tomorrow in the QFR, as I'm sure he could defeat most players left.

I'm going tomorrow too, many R1 matches, Mayer, Almagro, Delbonis, Nieminen and Berlocq will play, can't wait. :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Buenos Aires QR2 (day report)

You're quite a talanted writer, and skilled at English for a commie bastard. I enjoyed reading your account. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thanks, folks.

You're quite a talanted writer, and skilled at English for a commie bastard. I enjoyed reading your account. Many thanks!
I didn't realize I was a PC member! haha, thanks anyway :)

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

That's a great report! The Carballes Baena-Molteni match sounds extremely dramatic.

·
Registered
555 Posts

In Court 3, Quinzi faced Monteiro. Both young players, who were well rated (Quinzi specially) and haven't achieved a lot yet. They're 19 and 20 respectively so there's still time. Overall, I was impressed by Monteiro, heavy groundstrokes, very good on the defense, and (this one was a real surprise) he had a pretty good serve. Fast, well placed, good topspin on it too.

When they rallied, they were evenly matched, Monteiro just a little bit better. However, Quinzi's serve made the difference today. It's just dreadful. Low percentage, many doublefaults in the first set (4 DF's in 4 service games), and while he got away with it for a while, as Quinzi was being rather clutch (saved BP*2 at 0*-1, and looked in trouble at 1*-2, got lucky with a netcord), he finally got broken at 3*-4. After that, Monteiro had a little stumble, and faced the first (and last) BP of the match while serving for the set, but he saved it with a great service winner DTL, and closed it, 6-3.

The second was even closer, it looked like Quinzi had managed to get control of his own serve... until he served, at a crucial point in the set, at 4*-4, he got broken, and Monteiro served the match out to 15. GSM Monteiro 6-3 6-4, I was definitely impressed with his level, and it's a shame he's playing the #1 seed Bagnis tomorrow in the QFR, as I'm sure he could defeat most players left.

I'm going tomorrow too, many R1 matches, Mayer, Almagro, Delbonis, Nieminen and Berlocq will play, can't wait. :D
Hey, good news about Monteiro's serve. When I went to see him when he was 17, I was really impressed. But his serve was not good at all, and his toss was very unstable.
Don't know how will be against Bagnis who is the favourite, but who knows.
Nice review overall!

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

some photos:

Delbonis serving in practice:

and Nieminen (rather awkward position for a photo, granted)

Garín and Cecchinato, ready to start.

Roberto Carballes Baena serving

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Great report Pablo! I was there too (according to your Garin-Cecchinato´s pic I was just a few steps away of where you was sitting)

I agree with you about the report between Garin and Cecchinato. I think the Italian was solid enough for Garin who seems to find many troubles on this transition from Future to Challenger events but this is only a matter of time. The guy has weapons enough and I think he will be a top 100 in a couple of years (I like this new generation of uprising Chileans *Garin, Jarry and Lama*).

I was there too on Carballes Baena - Molteni´s match. Molteni played a great match while Carballes Baena made a lot of unforced mistakes. Looked like Carballes Baena was not on his best day while Molteni played above his regular level. I missed the last set.

I saw Quinzi-Monteiro aswell. Quinzi didn´t play well, his serve is quite poor for his height (such an issue for him to improve) and made many unforced errors while Monteiro had a clear game plan and that worked more than well(quite surprising to find him in QFR)

I was surprised with the amount of people on this qually 2nd round. I´m there every year and I´d never seen all courts that crowded!

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

thanks again, everybody :)

Great report Pablo! I was there too (according to your Garin-Cecchinato´s pic I was just a few steps away of where you was sitting)

I agree with you about the report between Garin and Cecchinato. I think the Italian was solid enough for Garin who seems to find many troubles on this transition from Future to Challenger events but this is only a matter of time. The guy has weapons enough and I think he will be a top 100 in a couple of years (I like this new generation of uprising Chileans *Garin, Jarry and Lama*).

I was there too on Carballes Baena - Molteni´s match. Molteni played a great match while Carballes Baena made a lot of unforced mistakes. Looked like Carballes Baena was not on his best day while Molteni played above his regular level. I missed the last set.

I saw Quinzi-Monteiro aswell. Quinzi didn´t play well, his serve is quite poor for his height (such an issue for him to improve) and made many unforced errors while Monteiro had a clear game plan and that worked more than well(quite surprising to find him in QFR)

I was surprised with the amount of people on this qually 2nd round. I´m there every year and I´d never seen all coerurts that crowded!
wow, what a coincidence. :lol:

Yeah, Quinzi has game, but he's going nowhere with such a serve. I don't know, maybe he's more comfortable on faster surfaces (after all he did win Junior Wimby), but he needs to improve, and fast. Monteiro might not become anything spectacular, but I see a solid player in him, Brazil will have another top 100 player soon imo.

As for the people, well, it was free, it was a Sunday and the day was really sunny and hot (almost unbearable for me. Already sunburnt despite gross use of sunblocker. Ugh). Also, it was the Kid's day yesterday, and Leo Mayer, Diego Schwartzman were there, with Olympic Gold Medalist Walter Pérez too, and that is a pretty good deal.
I guess you noticed, but a big majority of the crowd was parents with their racquet-having kids. You go to the Lawn Tennis, arrive early, and since you're there you can watch some matches, or some of the training sessions. It's a pretty good thing to do, in a Sunday, and parents must be tired, having to tolerate their kids for almost three months without school :haha: I'm glad there was a lot of people yesterday, it's good for the tournament. I'm going today too (and maybe tomorrow), so I'll address the *real* audience level today.

Um, predictions for today (do I feel lucky?) :ras:

Arguello, Bagnis, Cecchinato, Volandri to qualify. Mayer, Bellucci and Monaco to progress to R2.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Hola Pablo!
I agree. Quinzi needs to improve and fast. Maybe he had a bad day but his serve is really poor. I expected more of him. Even there was some people of TV just broadcasting him (not sure they were just italian or local ones. Even 3 people of his team for someone ranked 400 in the world. Obviously there might be big expectations in Italy over him but to be honest I didnt see anything extraordinary on his game, will see what happens in the future. Im just going to see Vesely with Rola and possibly Robredo wit Nieminen in 2 nd round. I have tickets for Friday night as I expect to see Nadal.

·
Registered
10,402 Posts

The stadium today (during the Lorenzi-Bellucci match) is almost entirely empty! How can that be? Cause you guys said that during qualies it was quite busy!

·
Registered
62,550 Posts

Thanks for the report and I'm so sorry you have to watch Delbonis

·
Registered
70,519 Posts

thanks for the report :)

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

The stadium today (during the Lorenzi-Bellucci match) is almost entirely empty! How can that be? Cause you guys said that during qualies it was quite busy!
well, it's as I said before. (just got back, will write another one pretty soon, after I eat something)
Yesterday = free entrance, and it's on Sunday, it's a good option for going out, etc.
Today, I paid 225 AR$ for my platea (between 20 and 25 US$, depending on the change type and day...), and the "headliners", so to speak, were Leo Mayer, Mónaco and Bellucci... that's not very interesting for the casual fan, they (i.e most people) will simply not pay for that. They don't know Bellucci, they don't know Robert, they don't know Lorenzi. They might know Mónaco and Mayer, and that's it. And it's ok, but with tickets relatively expensive (there were cheaper tickets, 150 AR$, but the view from "General" is terrible, you're miles away from the court. Imo, go to platea or better; or just stay home), small interest for the general public, and it's in a laboral day, therefore, nobody will go.
You'll only see good attendances when Nadal plays his singles matches, in the night sessions, Wednesday onwards. I took some pics of the empty-ish stands, might post that later too.

Thanks for the report and I'm so sorry you have to watch Delbonis
:lol: how mean! haha, but I do like Delbo, so no need to feel sorry for me. I went today to his doubles match...

Hola Pablo!
I agree. Quinzi needs to improve and fast. Maybe he had a bad day but his serve is really poor. I expected more of him. Even there was some people of TV just broadcasting him (not sure they were just italian or local ones. Even 3 people of his team for someone ranked 400 in the world. Obviously there might be big expectations in Italy over him but to be honest I didnt see anything extraordinary on his game, will see what happens in the future. Im just going to see Vesely with Rola and possibly Robredo wit Nieminen in 2 nd round. I have tickets for Friday night as I expect to see Nadal.
I didn't notice the cameras :lol: then again I was busy trying not to melt (quite literally) on Court 3 yesterday, so...

that means you're going tomorrow, too. Hope you have a good time :)

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Anyway, report from today. First match was Lorenzi-Bellucci. Lorenzi armed with his consistence, his grit and experience, and of course, his maginificent grunt. Bellucci with his heavy groundstrokes (specially on the FH), good angles and offensive game. Thomaz started like a storm, dominating the rallies from the start, and he had many BP's. However, it's Bellucci. Yes, you know how this ends already, he couldn't convert a single one, and then, a very strange game, he just lost focus and got promptly broken. After that, Paolo held it out, 6-4. The second set started... very much like the first one, Bellucci attacking, dominating the rallies, being unable to break Lorenzi, and then breaking himself at 3-3 (yes, really). Thomaz fought back in the following game, despite blowing three more BP's, he finally made it in his seventh chance.

Nothing really happened until Lorenzi served at 5-6. That one was another dramatic game (umpire controversy, saved Set Points by Lorenzi, shanks everywhere, etc), but Paolo held and forced the tiebreak.
That, too, was quite crazy. Bellucci started strong, went break up, 3-1, it looked like he'd force the third... and then he lost four points in a row. GSM Lorenzi? nah, not yet, because Bellucci then won four in a row to take it 7-6(5). :lol:
After that? well, nothing really. Bellucci faded. He had a leg injury (I missed the first three games). Paolo raced to an early lead, 3-0, and ran away with it. Lorenzi won, 6-4 6(5)-7 6-1.

I wanted to watch Delbonis' doubles match, but I had to wait a good bit.
I went to Court 2, to watch one of the last qualy matches. Cecchinato faced Duran. The Italian was the heavy favourite, and when I arrived at the court, he was showing why, as he led 4-0 in the first set. That one, obviously didn't have much to comment, Cecchinato won 6-1.

The second one was more competitive. Once again, like with yesterday's Molteni match, the crowd had a lot to do, Duran raised his game and started to claw his way into the match. With Cecchinato serving, 3*-4, there was a controversial moment, as the linesman called a Duran return wide, Cecchinato let it pass, but the call was reversed, and the point given to Duran. He was a lil' bit mad, indeed :lol: Duran then broke, and served for the second set, at 5*-3, but Cecchinato didn't lose his nerve (for he was many steps ahead of his opponent today), broke back, and then took in the tiebreak (with a minibagel included!), Cecchinato won 6-1 7-6(0).

After that, the doubles started. Delbo played with Qualifying success story, Andrés Molteni (who'll play in the MD for the second time, the last time he got trashed by Ferrer) against Ramos-Vinolas and Bagnis. I wanted to see how was Delbonis doing, and even though I couldn't see the entire match, as Mayer's singles was starting (more on that later), I was satisfied by his level, consistent groundies, he bossed his opponents around, good serving. When I left, Molteni was broken, and Delbonis/Molteni were down 3-4*. Ramos was targeting Molteni constantly, and his lefty FH to Molteni's BH caused all kinds of trouble. Something *must* have changed when I left, for Delbo's team won 7-6(2) 6-4. Not bad for such a random team.

I left for the Central Court, where Mayer-Robert was about to start. Alas, poor Stéphane, I knew him, MTF, he was a good chap, and didn't deserve the absolute trashing he received today. Robert was outclassed in every single possible way. Leo had too much power, he was too fast, served too well, this was a match so uneven it soon became uncomfortable (I took a pic with Robert yesterday, and he was quite nice. Poor fella, he won't be coming back soon I bet, even if he's 34 and close to retiring).

I can't use this match to measure Leo's level, this was pretty much a highlights reel from start to finish, winners all over the place. Robert managed to put up a little resistance after being bageled in the first set (he had a single game point, and no BP's), he won his first service game, and had two break points in the one after that. But it didn't last much longer :p I don't know how many points Mayer lost afterwards, but they were few. GSM Mayer, 6-0 6-1.

I'm going tomorrow as well (it's the last day I can afford, though).
It's a shame that Nieminen's match will be at the same time as Delbonis' :( I'll go to Jarkko's match first, then Warlocq's, then either Nieminen's doubles or Nadal/Monaco, and maybe Almagro's to finish the day, but not sure about the last one yet.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: Buenos Aires Reports (Sunday and Monday)

I enjoyed reading these reports.

I hope the likes of Quinzi and Garin up their games soon. I'm starting to dread reading match reports of the promising youngsters as they seem to be losing more often than not...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts