Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anybody know why Monteiros coach was so emotional after the win that he was in tears? First time two wins in a row (and a quarterfinal) on ATP Tour for Monteiro since Hamburg 2018 I guess. Pedro Sousa is his opponent in the Quarterfinal (since Garin withdraw the quarter was open) which looks like a good chance for a semifinal in a good claycourt field. Coric will need a good result in Rio (and/or Santiago) so that his trip to South Amercia makes any sense..

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Someone watched it?

Borna on an horrible run. Incredible that he won only one match of the last 12 vs the AO finalist.

What's going on with him?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Someone watched it?
Was debating whether or not to make the effort as it was middle of the night here and I sensed yet another disappointing result for Coric was on the cards. Tuned in around midway through the first set, with Monteiro up a break, which he comfortably served out.

The two or three games I saw of the opening set were the usual story for Coric these days: making wild UEs out of nowhere (FH especially but even the BH was misfiring) and being bossed around from the baseline. Turns out he'd been up an early break so, considering he saved a SP in his last service game, it shows how poor he was in the opener.

Second set was a closer affair as Coric played more sound and safe, but Monteiro always seemed the more settled and superior of the two. The Brazilian lefty was untroubled on serve and confident from the baseline. He had a clear game plan (stretching his opponent, targetting the FH) and executed it to near perfection.

Coric had a slight opening at 5-4* (I think) 30:0 but botched the next point and never got another chance to put pressure on his opponent. Once it got to a TB, it was no surprise that he blinked first... Monteiro missed a smash on his first MP at 6-5 on return but closed out the match on his serve at 7-6.

Borna on an horrible run. Incredible that he won only one match of the last 12 vs the AO finalist.

What's going on with him?
Guess Coric and his team would know best, yet it seems to me watching from a distance that he often looks almost lost on court now. I don't think he's played well since parting ways with Piatti; more to the point, he doesn't seem to be playing with purpose and drive.

The ATP Cup win was the best Coric's been since pulling out of the USO but even that was more of a solid than brilliant performance, plus he was greatly helped by Thiem's erraticness. I was wary of reading too much into that victory when it happened but hoped it might spark him back into life...

Now I wonder if Coric didn't perhaps do better in that match because it was the only one in his current slump that no one believed he had any chance to win? For there's no doubt in my mind that he's having a serious confidence crisis right now, combined with lack of tactical direction.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
why is he even playing on clay atm?
Thought he will get some wins, and his confidence back. Tough times.
Yes, guessing the idea was for Coric to get match wins and confidence on his favourite surface - but it backfired here and wouldn't be surprised if the same happens in Rio.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
Monteiro is definitely the most in form player this tournament.

Given the closeness of the match, Coric would have won many other matches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts