Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sousa started this match terrible. looked like this would be a blow out. he got better in the 2nd set but casper served brilliantly and refused to give sousa a way back in the match. Casper was brilliant here all week and has really started the year well. very happy for him to get his first title here .is just the first of what im sure will be many. he could be dangerous and one to watch at the clay masters. chances of being seeded for the french are pretty good now too

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Hopefully it will be the first of many for Caspar. It was a bit sad to see a half empty stadium for a final, which probably did not appeal the spectators. It was indeed unfortunate for this traditional tournament to lose Thiem and Berrettini before the tournament, then Garin and Verdasco retired before the first round and local hero Diego Schwartzman could not play his SF. I am sure the stadium would have been full if an Argentinian player would have reached the final but credit to Caspar Ruud who was probably the best player of the week, he probably did not play his best in the final as he knew his opponent was diminished by an injury but he did the job well and withstand the pressure to get a first title. Caspar can still do well in Rio next week and Santiago the week after. With this result, Caspar will rise to 34 in the rankings and is ensured to enter directly in the Masters1000 clay event which is obviously a great news.
And as for Pedro Sousa, he was very lucky to reach the final as lucky and loser and had not play Diego in the SF, but it was also frustrating for him to be unable to play at 100% with this injury.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yeah , he was the best all weak with that FH . When he was about to lose , he brought his best game making londero lose it and turn it around . Destrying lajovic too . Sad the tourny was depleted and pretty forgetable due to numerous factors here exposed

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congrats to Ruud on his first title of many on clay, Sousa was clearly injured and could barely move at the end.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Only just realized this was Pedro Sousa. Shameful to admit, but I have barely wathced him. What is his game like? Jokingly or not i have seen referred to as "the more talented Sousa".

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Only just realized this was Pedro Sousa. Shameful to admit, but I have barely wathced him. What is his game like? Jokingly or not i have seen referred to as "the more talented Sousa".
Not a joke. He is without a doubt, infinitely the more talented Sousa. But he is also a headcase, and most importantly, he makes Nishikori look like Federer in terms of injury-proneness. Otherwise he would be a frequent Top 30 easily.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Neat for Casper to grab a title so soon, excellent stuff. To be fair, Lajovic as the highest ranked opponent to win a title, what a bargain. Still, Casper kept his act together nicely. Hope he continues this way.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Any achievement that can make Norwegian sports media write about anything other than winter sports in February is welcome to me. So thank you, Casper, and congratulations on your historic win. (y)

Reactions: Rumour

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Congrats to Ruud, happy to see another NextGen player win a maiden title :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts