·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Bucharest QF: [3] Monfils def. [Q] Mathieu 3-6 7-6(9) 6-2, saves 6 MPs

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
21,395 Posts
Worst choke I have seen since yesterday!

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
just gonna quote my post in the chokers thread
This is way beyond those one set up and 5*-3 or 5*-4 chokes, PHM here hit a long volley with Monfils literally outside and on the opposite side of the court, a netted FH where there too Monfils was 3 meters behind the baseline and on the opposite side of where the FH was directed, this just to name 2 of the points in the tie break.
Mathieu has to be most mentally frail player of the last decade and more. Not even Querrey can pull such chokes as Mathieu was actually playing good in the tie break, it's like he was shanking shots and stuff.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
as it was supposed to be a straight sets win.
Well, no. At least I've to give credit to PHM for saving those BPs in the 2nd, it honestly looked as if he was going to collapse any minute then Monfils decided to gift him the tb and he said no.
Also PHM was up 4*-0 in the first set and played a 10mins-like game at 4*-2 where he had to save several BPs, had he been broken there he would have lost in straight sets imho.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
All I can say is Mathieu played clutch until 5-0 in the 2nd set tiebreak. He saved numerous break pts at *4-3 in the first set and early in the 2nd set. He served from behind successfully the whole 2nd set. He played within himself to get to 5-0, then Monfils went into prevent defense mode (even more than usual) and PHM simply couldn't step up on match pts and put the ball away. Had two relative sitters on Monfils serve on match pts, one of which he ripped a forehand down the line that hit the net chord and went out, the other one was on a short low ball that he should have gone cross court but tried and inside out forehand which choked badly and hit the bottom of the net. He waited for Monfils to make an error on most of the match pts. and it just didn't happen. The match showed Mathieu can still play great clay tennis, but at the same time, that the old choking ways are still there.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
All I can say is Mathieu played clutch until 5-0 in the 2nd set tiebreak. He saved numerous break pts at *4-3 in the first set and early in the 2nd set. He served from behind successfully the whole 2nd set. He played within himself to get to 5-0, then Monfils went into prevent defense mode (even more than usual) and PHM simply couldn't step up on match pts and put the ball away. Had two relative sitters on Monfils serve on match pts, one of which he ripped a forehand down the line that hit the net chord and went out, the other one was on a short low ball that he should have gone cross court but tried and inside out forehand which choked badly and hit the bottom of the net. He waited for Monfils to make an error on most of the match pts. and it just didn't happen. The match showed Mathieu can still play great clay tennis, but at the same time, that the old choking ways are still there.
I knew he had lost the match at 5-2** but then he pulled that BH winner for 6-3* if I'm not wrong, that was really good stuff and I thought it would have give him confidence.
The one at 7*-6 I knew he would have won it only with a service winner.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
I mean just the point at 5-0, he was ready to give up the ghost and played ultra aggressive that point, first time all match.
was that the point for the 5-2 where Monfils hit that FH winner after the long rally? I think it was.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
After 6-2 to 6-6 in the tiebreak i thought i was going to have a stroke when Mathieu won the point at 6-6, appeared like he might be a changed man, but no.. still the same

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
I think the most shocking one is the netted FH, he could have probably even tried a drop shots there

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
the forehand down the line from his backhand side of the court was the killer because Monfils was way behind the baseline on the other side of the court. To his credit, PHM ripped the shot and it almost surely would have been a winner if it didn't hit the net chord. It hit the top of the net chord and bounched out. PHM went for it but its a shot he makes 8 out of 10 so choking might have played a part there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts