·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(an Original idea by sfar.)

Welcome to the MTF Best Song Game!

51st Edition : Hammer & Sickle

How to play?

Phase I: Anyone can commit to the game by sending me a YouTube link of your chosen song via PM. Please include the title "BSG song choice" for easy reference. The song must follow the theme rule as proposed below.
After this phase, I will reveal the lists of songs and players, without revealing which song was selected by whom.
Phase II: Vote for your favourite songs via PM titled "BSG SF votes" or "BSG F votes"
<29 songs: Direct Final.
29-40 songs: Semi-Finals, followed by a Final containing 20 SF songs.
After (each part of) this phase, I will reveal the votes, the points tally, and the player behind each song. After the SF, only the eliminated songs will be revealed.

The song with the most points wins!

Rules:

0. Anyone can participate

1. The theme of Game #51 is "Hammer & Sickle: Songs produced in Communist countries past & present. Modern day songs from a former Communist country are allowed"
chosen by miura88. You must submit any track (via YouTube) as long as the track selected from a communist country listed in post 5 below.

2. You have to vote for exactly 10 songs, in order of preference for each semifinal (i.e. 10 songs from SF1 and 10 from SF2). Your voted songs will receive points in the following format (inspired by the Eurovision Song Contest's voting system):
Code:
12 points: favourite song
10 points: 2nd favourite song
 8 points: 3rd favourite song
 7 points: 4th favourite song
 6 points: ...
 5 points: ...
 4 points: ...
 3 points: ...
 2 points: ...
  1 point: 10th favourite song
3. You can not vote for your own song.

4. You can not send a song selected in a previous game. One of the purposes of this game is to discover new music. For a list of these previously selected songs, check Post #4. The same song by a different artist/band is allowed.

5. Only committed players can vote. Eliminated semifinalists can also vote in the Final.

6. If you do not vote, your song will receive a 12 point penalty (in the phase in which you did not vote).

7. If the same song is sent by 2+ different players, the 2nd+ player who sent it will be asked to choose another one.

8. You can change your submitted song only once. But you can't change your votes!

9. If the manager is playing the game, he/she can send his votes to another player (so the latter can check if what is presented in the ceremony(-ies) matches with the votes sent via PM).

Other informations:

1. There MAY BE a musically themed interview via PM, which will be sent after the Semifinal ceremony. The answers to it will be revealed during the Final ceremony.

2. The theme (if wanted) of the next game will be selected by the winner of the current game.

1st Edition / 2nd Edition
3rd Edition \ 4th Edition
5th Edition / 6th Edition
7th Edition \ 8th Edition
9th Edition / 10th Edition
11th Edition \ 12th Edition
13th Edition / 14th Edition
15th Edition \ 16th Edition
17th Edition / 18th Edition
19th Edition \ 20th Edition
21st Edition / 22nd Edition
23rd Edition \ 24th Edition
25th Edition / 26th Edition
27th Edition \ 28th Edition
29th Edition / 30th Edition
31st Edition \ 32nd Edition
33rd Edition / 34th Edition
35th Edition \ 36th Edition
37th Edition / 38th Edition
39th Edition \ 40th Edition
41st Edition / 42nd Edition
43rd Edition \ 44th Editionhttp://www.menstennisforums.com/3-non-tennis/859953-best-song-game-44-drug-music-%7C-congrats-yellow-grass-gong-master-builder.html
45th Edition / 46th Edition
47th Edition \ 48th Edition
49th Edition / 50th Edition

Exho 1 | Exho 2
___________________________​

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: BSG #51: Hammer & Sickle || Under Construction

Final playlist​

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtMpE4ZwxVyQm6kcdtY10ioVD20WfH5BC

Code:
Song	              Artist/Band
O Jednoj Mladosti	      Josipa Lisac
Bandiera Rossa	              Pankrti
The Lonely Shepherd	      George Zamfir
Krilja	                              Nautilus Pompilius
You Are My Life	              Mavjuda
Boje noc u krv	              Trobocove
The First Snow	              Soyol Erdene
Farmakopoeia	              Alameda 5
Mito Bekrijo	              Vasilija Radojcic
Mama Lover	              Serebro
Până când nu te iubeam   Maria Tănase
Am Fenster	              City
Severnij cvet                   Akvarium
Oleks minu olemine	      Trad.Attack!
Pyongang	                      Attache
Ach, wenn ich doch als Mann auf diese Welt gekommen wär	Bettina Wegner
Ej, po poli jsem chodila     Dagmar Andrtova-Vonkova
Oya Ka Jojo	              Les Volcans De La Capitale
Znam Deka Eden Den	      Padot Na Vizantija
String Quartet No 8	      Dmitri Shostakovich
B2	                              Argo
There is no day or night, no moon or sun	Waclaw Zimpel (HERA - Where My Complete Lover Is)
mp3s courtesy of redshift

part1: https://www.sendspace.com/file/am1yx8

part2: https://www.sendspace.com/file/1c8k22

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Deadlines

Submission: Monday, July 10th, 7PM CEST
Voting: Saturday, July 22nd, 11PM CEST

Players (bold=voted)

acacacacademy #18
afterglows #4
Chris Kuerten #6
citizen_insane #2
Featherer #13
Floki #15
HoorayBeer #19
JesusG #22
JMG #14
Kreso Christian #9

Litotes #10
miura88 #7
MWW #16
Nathaliia Winner!
Ponas Donny #3
PortlandTimbers #11
ProudSerb #12
redshift36188 #8
Roger the Dodger #5
scarecrows #17
Sham Kay Adams #21
TheBigFourFTW #20

Total: 22

Reviews and other posts of interest

Featherer does his thing
TheBigFourFTW puts numbers next to words
Floki's stupid (but better) reviews

Results

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

You may now submit your songs. Here's a handy list of countries that qualify, courtesy of miura88 himself:

Our Feline Overlord said:
Current Communist Countries:
China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam.

Formerly Communist countries (by current name):

Formerly part of the Soviet Union:
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.

Other Asian countries:
Afghanistan, Cambodia, Mongolia, and Yemen.

Soviet-controlled Eastern bloc countries:
Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany (East), Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia.

The Balkans:
Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Kosovo, Rep. of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia.

Africa:
Angola, Benin, Dem Rep. of Congo, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, and Mozambique.

Reactions: scarecrows

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Re: BSG #51: Hammer & Sickle || Send your submission until Monday, July 10th 7PM CEST

I also have another question. What "Modern day songs" really mean. How modern is "modern"?

Are songs from 80s allowed? 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, ... where is the line?

·
Registered
97,290 Posts
Re: BSG #51: Hammer & Sickle || Send your submission until Monday, July 10th 7PM CEST

I understand it as you can send any songs from these countries to give more variety.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,264 Posts

I also have another question. What "Modern day songs" really mean. How modern is "modern"?

Are songs from 80s allowed? 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, ... where is the line?
I think by modern miura means after the country stopped being communist. Tbh, I think it's a bad idea to allow it. Anyone can send a song that's the product of capitalism this way, thematic coherence will surely be broken.

·
Registered
97,290 Posts

And what about Regina Spektor who is Russian born in Russia but has been recording in USA? I smell a commie traitor. Maybe a spy.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

I think by modern miura means after the country stopped being communist. Tbh, I think it's a bad idea to allow it. Anyone can send a song that's the product of capitalism this way, thematic coherence will surely be broken.
I don't think that is right. So we can't send songs from 80s while Eastern European and Balkan countries were still communist? Also by this logic no song from countries that are still communist would be allowed?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

I don't think that is right. So we can't send songs from 80s while Eastern European and Balkan countries were still communist? Also by this logic no song from countries that are still communist would be allowed?
No, you got it wrong. You can send a song from any period, communist or post-communist. It only needs to be from one of the countries in the list in Post #5.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No, what miura ment is that you can send, e.g., a Lithuanian song from 1985 when we were still part of the USSR as well as a Lithuanian song from 2005 when we were not communist anymore.

In response to redshift, while I agree, I am going to respect the wishes of miura. If he changes his mind before I have more than a few songs from no longer communist countries, we can still make the switch.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts

...which would be my personal form of boycotting a commie edition :devil:

so don't change miuracat's mind.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

No, you got it wrong. You can send a song from any period, communist or post-communist. It only needs to be from one of the countries in the list in Post #5.
I was just interpreting redshiftt's post and as said I think it was wrong. So it is not me who got it wrong.

Anyway. Thanks for the response. I assume pre-communist period would not be considered "modern" and is not allowed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

I was just interpreting redshiftt's post and as said I think it was wrong. So it is not me who got it wrong.

Anyway. Thanks for the response. I assume pre-communist period would not be considered "modern" and is not allowed.
I don't read redshift's posts, so I presumed there was some confusion about what the theme meant. Okay, I don't know about the pre-communist period either, but it's highly unlikely I'd sent anything that old anyway.

·
Registered
97,290 Posts

To be honest, some "modern day" songs can feel more like communist products (post-communist children) than songs that were recorded in the communist times but are nothing but rip-off from Western music like (for example) a lot of the beat scene in the 60s was in here.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts

I understand it as you can send any songs from these countries to give more variety.
Nathii, wanna play "Psychedelic Times" on TF? Also @citizen_insane you can play, also. :)

1 - 20 of 450 Posts