• Jay Clarke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
It will be interesting to see how he goes about playing slams. His aura is all but gone and he will be unable to utilise the style which had nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry folding.
Sad if this is true.
I so hoped for one more epic Murrovic slam final, maybe at the AO... this time Murray edging it. No chance for that then.

·
The special one
14,199 Posts
Overall I was happy with Andy's level in this match. Looks pretty good fitness wise and has been improving with every match. Ward played as well as he could, he level today was unrecognisable from his first match where he simply couldn't keep the ball in court, he actually looked like a top 100 player.

Honestly I think Andy's playing at a top 25 level, the problem is that Dan earlier today was playing at an even higher level than that so Andy will need to improve further if he's going to win that match.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sad if this is true.
I so hoped for one more epic Murrovic slam final, maybe at the AO... this time Murray edging it. No chance for that then.
Murray doesn't seem like he's able to endure long rallies as well anymore and also lost a step, so I don't think we'll ever get another big match (like a slam final) between these two, but I wouldn't be totally against it if it happened. I don't think this rivalry deserved to end in January 2017.

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
Overall I was happy with Andy's level in this match. Looks pretty good fitness wise and has been improving with every match. Ward played as well as he could, he level today was unrecognisable from his first match where he simply couldn't keep the ball in court, he actually looked like a top 100 player.

Honestly I think Andy's playing at a top 25 level, the problem is that Dan earlier today was playing at an even higher level than that so Andy will need to improve further if he's going to win that match.
Andy Murray says after a set that he's tired.

cmchelsey assessment "looks pretty good fitness wise".

Genius, as usual. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Evans truly pissed away like 7 years of his life.

If 2020 Evans went back to 2012 Evans, you wonder if it would have been different?
My opinion on Evans was very negative, but his game has been super good since his comeback, that compensates the lot a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts

not top 25 because that means he could be consistent enough to attain a 25 ish ranking which is out of the question because his hip and being unable to string multiple matches back to back without being in pain.

Also apart from Evans his British competition is hopeless. Its easy to look good against futures level journeymen like Broady

·
Registered
15,784 Posts
Andy Murray will be happy to get out on the court and play to a competitive standard. He is obviously a different calibre of player to most partaking in the event.

However, he doesn't look good. It isn't possible to say if it is down to rust, or if this is his standard. I would imagine that it would be a combination of the two, leaning more toward rust. If he doesn't get injured again, he absolutely will raise his level. It will be interesting to see how he goes about playing slams. His aura is all but gone and he will be unable to utilise the style which had nearly every Tom, Dick and Harry folding.
If you watch the Antwerp performances the movement was better. His court coverage is clearly limited compared to a decade ago, he will have to hope his anticipation can compensate.

I note that he is leaning heavily on the backhand slice defensively. I wonder if he doesn't trust his movement on that side to recover from playing a flatter stroke, or that he needs to slice to give him time to reposition. Probably the latter.

I think he can return to the top 20 (the big if being that he doesn't break down again and manages a full season) and win a number of 250s but Masters and above will be beyond him barring some fluke draw. Still, nice to see him back, always satisfying when Sir Pushray grimaces and rants around the court.

·
10,400 Posts
If you watch the Antwerp performances the movement was better. His court coverage is clearly limited compared to a decade ago, he will have to hope his anticipation can compensate.

I note that he is leaning heavily on the backhand slice defensively. I wonder if he doesn't trust his movement on that side to recover from playing a flatter stroke, or that he needs to slice to give him time to reposition. Probably the latter.

I think he can return to the top 20 (the big if being that he doesn't break down again and manages a full season) and win a number of 250s but Masters and above will be beyond him barring some fluke draw. Still, nice to see him back, always satisfying when Sir Pushray grimaces and rants around the court.
I honestly don't know how a 30+ year old guy is supposed to trust having a super serious hip surgery and then fully ROTATE to unleash on any ball.

Especially on the backhand side where Murray uses a lot of full body rotation to hit through the ball.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I mean, it looked okay to me. He hadn't played since November before this so we have to cut him some slack.
the backhand side does seem to be an issue and he hit some strange slices.
He seemed to be hitting much harder on his forehand side than I remember in the past. Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see how he does against Evo. This is all good preparation for him.

·
Registered
15,784 Posts
I honestly don't know how a 30+ year old guy is supposed to trust having a super serious hip surgery and then fully ROTATE to unleash on any ball.

Especially on the backhand side where Murray uses a lot of full body rotation to hit through the ball.
To be honest his backhand hasn't been the same since 2012 and when the back was troubling him. Even in 2015-16 I never felt like he was able to execute the DTL shot as well. It's one of the reasons he struggled against Djokovic imo.

You are right though. His backhand at 50% gives him zero chance of troubling the top 5 players.

·
10,400 Posts
The good news is MTF didn't vote for Cameron Norrie o_O

·
Registered
57,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Evans def. Murray 1-6 6-3 [10-8]
Murray looked decent, but definitely not world-beating level. I'd say Evans is a pretty fantastic match-up for him too but Evans still pulls through. Evans is undefeated at the event through the final.

·
The special one
14,199 Posts
Andy should be encouraged by how he played this week. He wasn't great in his first match but got better with every match, looking forward to seeing how he plays in the US if tennis goes ahead.

Evans was in pretty good form before corona and is playing top 20 tennis. He should be favorite in the final whoever he plays.

·
Your visions will happen
47,301 Posts
Well we know Andy is going to maximize what his body can give him we just don't know how much that is

Had 4-1 in the breaker, missed a BH pass by a millimeter for 5-1, then missed a FH DTL not by much at 5-6, then got the MB back and sprayed a FH wide at 7-8, then Evans won with a BH DTL that was going wide and then clipped the net to land in, ridiculous

For Murray you gotta feel decent about how you played. Still don't like his gait and some points he looked pretty bad movement wise at the end but he looked like that since 18 years old so who really knows

Seemed to be in it mentally which is the biggest thing. Really hope he can stay healthy cause he is still a top 20-30 player even after everything that has happened

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
Andy Murray nowhere near as aggressive as he could be. It's the same old story with him. It's not his natural style of play, but he can be effective with it. Some of his most effective tennis, whether it be patches during a set, an entire set or even a match, have been when he's been proactive.

He's caught in limbo in the sense that he's quick enough to play defensively, but has lost a considerable amount of his agility and won't be nearly as effective. Furthermore, he's literally risking his long-term future by playing this way.

It's almost unknown for a tennis player to change his style in such a way, so it won't happen, but desperate times call for desperate measures and that's what it is for Andy Murray. He quite clearly isn't the sort of guy to be happy with mediocrity. The fact that he won in Antwerp will have lit him up from underneath, so I can't see him being happy with an ATP 250 or a certain ranking. He will want some kind of physical achievement on the biggest of stages, winning big matches or a tournament.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Any idea why he withdrew from his match today?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts