Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Captain Jeremy Bates has sprung a surprise, opting to rest Greg Rusedski for the 1st days play of the Davis Cup against Switzerland (he would've been set to play Federer). Instead world number 262, Alex Mackin (yet to win an ATP match) will play. Bates said, "Obviously playing Roger is a very tough match and realistically we are looking at winning the doubles and the two singles against their number two."

From where I'm standing it basically looks like we're tanking the match against Federer. It might be a good idea in the sense that Rusedski has very little chance of beating Federer, and it keeps him fresh for the doubles and a possibly crucial 3rd day rubber against Wawrinkwa. But a part of me is saying that stranger things have happened than Rusedski beating Federer on clay, and its disappointing that there is no belief from within that he can win. I know the chances of Rusedski winning are very slim, but even if they stuck me out there I'd believe I had a chance, whatever happened to good old British optimism :confused:

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
adee-gee said:
I know the chances of Rusedski winning are very slim, but even if they stuck me out there I'd believe I had a chance, whatever happened to good old British optimism :confused:
honey, that's called being delusional :kiss:

·
F***ing have it
17,595 Posts
JesusFed looks so tense in DC pics. And all the team look like his puppets. I think they'll win but any trick Britain can use is :yeah:

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
It is the less risky strategy. Generously to UK, it is 90% certain that Roge win both his singles (less generously,it is 98%). If they put their best player first and he loses, it starts the UK on a bad note: their best is not good enough, what will happen to rest? It will only give negative energy to the team to put their best guy out first.

Also it is simple for you on the sideline, as a fan, with no consequences, to suggest that there are strange possibilite like Rusedski to beat Roge, on clay. But for the captain, who is going to get the criticism of bad choices, such strange, very unlikely and high risk possibilite cannot be an option

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
adee-gee said:
Captain Jeremy Bates has sprung a surprise, opting to rest Greg Rusedski for the 1st days play of the Davis Cup against Switzerland (he would've been set to play Federer). Instead world number 262, Alex Mackin (yet to win an ATP match) will play. Bates said, "Obviously playing Roger is a very tough match and realistically we are looking at winning the doubles and the two singles against their number two."

From where I'm standing it basically looks like we're tanking the match against Federer. It might be a good idea in the sense that Rusedski has very little chance of beating Federer, and it keeps him fresh for the doubles and a possibly crucial 3rd day rubber against Wawrinkwa. But a part of me is saying that stranger things have happened than Rusedski beating Federer on clay, and its disappointing that there is no belief from within that he can win. I know the chances of Rusedski winning are very slim, but even if they stuck me out there I'd believe I had a chance, whatever happened to good old British optimism :confused:
You're partly right, one has to believe in the nature of DC and its multiple surprises. In the same time, with Federer, there is not much of a surprise. So with him around you'd better be smart, because it's reallistic to think that Rusedski has no chance on clay against Fed, with his serve neutralized and the pretty good record of Fed on clay lately...

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R.Federer said:
It is the less risky strategy. Generously to UK, it is 90% certain that Roge win both his singles (less generously,it is 98%). If they put their best player first and he loses, it starts the UK on a bad note: their best is not good enough, what will happen to rest? It will only give negative energy to the team to put their best guy out first.

Also it is simple for you on the sideline, as a fan, with no consequences, to suggest that there are strange possibilite like Rusedski to beat Roge, on clay. But for the captain, who is going to get the criticism of bad choices, such strange, very unlikely and high risk possibilite cannot be an option
Everyone would expect Rusedski to lose to Federer so it wouldn't put the team on a downer I don't think. Murray is a better clay court player than Greg anyway.

I also don't think anyone would've criticised Bates for playing Rusedski, that was the expected move. He's more likely to get criticised if Mackin gets an absolute hammering and completely ruins his confidence.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
adee-gee said:
Everyone would expect Rusedski to lose to Federer so it wouldn't put the team on a downer I don't think. Murray is a better clay court player than Greg anyway.

I also don't think anyone would've criticised Bates for playing Rusedski, that was the expected move. He's more likely to get criticised if Mackin gets an absolute hammering and completely ruins his confidence.
Mackin will not get bagelled or breaksticked by Fed unless Mackin plays a rotten game.

I actually agree with Bates' strategy given his options.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
adee-gee said:

Yes, but if Rusedski is expected to lose anyway, why make him exert himself when he is likely to play a critical role later in the tie? Mackin, on the other hand, can be allowed to wear himself out, as he is unlikely to play Sunday in a live fifth rubber.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jtipson said:
Yes, but if Rusedski is expected to lose anyway, why make him exert himself when he is likely to play a critical role later in the tie? Mackin, on the other hand, can be allowed to wear himself out, as he is unlikely to play Sunday in a live fifth rubber.
Because Rusedski has a tiny bit more of a chance of beating Federer than Mackin does. I'm kind of playing devils advocate here, I mainly agree with Bates' decision I just think its kind of sad that Britain have got to the stage of taking a match as lost before it has even started.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
they switched it around cos Greg would have played Wawrinka on day 1 and Murray played Fed on 1st day, meaning being 0-2 down and going out.

way i see it...... even the Swiss DC capt would probably beat Mackin in his sleep.
Murray vs Wawrinka will decide the outcome of tie.

if its 1-1 at day 1, then a chance, a slight one
doubles is then crucial.

switch is cos they didnt want Murray to play Federer on opening day rather than rest Greg.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
adee-gee said:
Because Rusedski has a tiny bit more of a chance of beating Federer than Mackin does. I'm kind of playing devils advocate here,
is that with Mirka on top of Fed or underneath him :lol:

Greg beat Fed on clay :rolls:

·
Banned
3,208 Posts
I think it's a decision thinking in the future when Rusedksi retires , then Mackin needs to catch some experience :lol:

Mackin is the future man :haha:

Talking serously in my opinion Great Britan's attitude is quite loser and submissive so i guess the next new will be GB's captain kissing Roger's ass

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think it is quite imaginative really.

Probably won't work but all the same it is an intelligent use of limited resources.

Murray might just be able to beat Wawrinka. Britain might just win the doubles. And then Wawrinka could be set to play a relatively fresh Rusedski.

More likely scenario - Andy loses to Wawrinka who is a decent clay court player, and the tie is over.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Mackin, Alan

Birthplace:Paisley, Scotland
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
2 scots and 1 canadian take on Switzerland here ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would've fancied our chances against the Swiss alot more if a FIT Henman was in the side.
I like Bates creativeness in his picks. However at the same time it's sad that Team GB have got to this stage where some players and coaches have this negative mindset where you've lost before a ball has even been hit in anger; even if the player concerned is the world's best.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
yeah, but i can see Bates point...
basically no player on the team would beat Federer anyway

1 - 20 of 32 Posts