Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
expected so much more from Tomic! the first set was very good quality and Murray was serving out of this world but a few games in during the second set Tomic was acting strange and got that injury time out and taping on his foot???

I hope this is nothing to serious but his movement was so bad after the timeout and it is especially concerning when it looked like his movement had improve so much! I hope he just was having a bad day and let the foot problem bug him rather than it being a big issue.

Murray looks sharp though

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Murray's first tournament/exho each year since 2007

2012 - final Brisbane*
2011 - undefeated in Hopman Cup
2010 - final of Hopman Cup
2009 - won Doha
2008 - won Doha
2007 - final Doha

Not sure when he played Abu Dhabi but I think he won that as well one year.

·
Federer fan forever
12,903 Posts
Murray's first tournament/exho each year since 2007

2012 - final Brisbane*
2011 - undefeated in Hopman Cup
2010 - final of Hopman Cup
2009 - won Doha
2008 - won Doha
2007 - final Doha

Not sure when he played Abu Dhabi but I think he won that as well one year.
he played it in its first year ,so 2009

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's obvious Tomic has some measure of talent, but I beginning to detest him. After looking unbelievably early on, he really didn't seem to try after the first break in the second set. If he was so injured he couldn't run for balls, he should have called time out. He didn't look it though, and I've seem him lackadaisically wander around on court before. It looks like he just gave up.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Murray was like a machine on first sere. Tomic struggled to read it all match yet showed that he had opportunities on Murray's second serve. Murray also moved well. There was one point in particular I think at the start of the second set where he chased down a drop shot that looked like a lost cause, then chased Tomic's lob and smacked it over the shoulder for a winner.

Tomic has showed good promise all week. He has a unique style on the forehand side which I enjoy watching - it's very wristy with a short backswing. I'm sure he will continue to do well this year, possibly to the extent of being seeded for Roland Garros and Wimbledon, where he has a lot of points to defend.

Murray looks set to make another seep run into the Australian Open. Playing like this, he really shouldn't be troubled by anybody outside the top 8.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
It's obvious Tomic has some measure of talent, but I beginning to detest him. After looking unbelievably early on, he really didn't seem to try after the first break in the second set. If he was so injured he couldn't run for balls, he should have called time out. He didn't look it though, and I've seem him lackadaisically wander around on court before. It looks like he just gave up.
It's arrogance, was the best when he was a junior, and can't deal with losing. So he just acts like he's injured (or at least making it worse than it was) and blame everything on that.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's arrogance, was the best when he was a junior, and can't deal with losing. So he just acts like he's injured (or at least making it worse than it was) and blame everything on that.
For once, we agree entirely. He's playing a #4 in the world, and a two time Aussie open finalist, and can't believe he's losing.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Wow Tomic is barely in the top 50 and already has some spectacularly delusional tards. God have mercy on us if the guy actually reaches the top 10.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Re: Murray def Tomic 6:3, 6:2

Bernie got a harsh lesson of reality today. It shows how far off he really is. Having said that, Murray was very very good today it would of been hard for a lot of players to beat him.
Not really, out of the top 4 players, Murray was always going to be his toughest opponent since their play styles are quite similar only difference being Murray is a little bit better at everything, has the experience, does great against similar styles to himself and is too strong mentally. Tomic has a much better chance upsetting Federer, Nadal and Djokovic IMO as his play style can bother them as he showed us last year.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

6-3, 6-2 was the scoreline i was going to predict and the match went pretty much as i expected. both have similar styles but with murray having the edge in every department. he seemed a little less mopey under the watchful eye of lendl, but he still needs to work on the negative body language and the constant grimacing (as if injured).

as for tomic, this was not an encouraging match. he's over two years older than raonic but has accomplished less. more troubling is the fact that he has no real weapons or power. he looked disinterested after the first set.

·
Registered
903 Posts

as for tomic, this was not an encouraging match. he's over two years older than raonic but has accomplished less. more troubling is the fact that he has no real weapons or power. he looked disinterested after the first set.
Milos is 2 years older than Tomic, not the other way round. Raonic and Tomic both don't have the best movement which you just don't suddenly develop. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray already possessed the same movement, footspeed, court sense and intuition from the moment they arrived on the mens tour.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts

6-3, 6-2 was the scoreline i was going to predict and the match went pretty much as i expected. both have similar styles but with murray having the edge in every department. he seemed a little less mopey under the watchful eye of lendl, but he still needs to work on the negative body language and the constant grimacing (as if injured).

Shame Tomic couldn't put up a bit more of a fight but the match was fascinating to watch in terms of tactical dynamics.

confused by this post though, Tomic is 2 years younger than Raonic not older.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Milos is 2 years older than Tomic, not the other way round. Raonic and Tomic both don't have the best movement which you just don't suddenly develop. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray already possessed the same movement, footspeed, court sense and intuition from the moment they arrived on the mens tour.
Yes, but Murray, for all his faults works really hard. Even when he didn't have the movement and strength he does now, you could always sense him trying, working on improvement. Same with Nadal and Djokovic. Tomic doesn't seem to care.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Not really, out of the top 4 players, Murray was always going to be his toughest opponent since their play styles are quite similar only difference being Murray is a little bit better at everything, has the experience, does great against similar styles to himself and is too strong mentally. Tomic has a much better chance upsetting Federer, Nadal and Djokovic IMO as his play style can bother them as he showed us last year.
Actually, I agree he might trouble Djokovic and to some extent Olderer, but I don't see him making any impression on Nadal. Nadal chases drops shots and eats up slices for fun. Then again, Nadal hasn't been looking so hot lately.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray already possessed the same movement, footspeed, court sense and intuition from the moment they arrived on the mens tour.
Wrong. (Bear in mind Fed joined the pro tour in 1998.)
That said, I don't ever see Tomic being a fantastic mover.

This match was NID. Tomic is certainly improving, but he doesn't seem to have the game or mentality to take it to the top guys the way, say, Dolgopolov can do, or an in-form Gulbis theoretically could (if he were ever in-form).

Murray just has too much experience right now to lose to Tomic playing like this. I still see Tomic getting to about R4 of the Aus.

Nice to see Lendl in Murray's box. Hope this means he won't be shouting at his box anymore.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts

Actually, I agree he might trouble Djokovic and to some extent Olderer, but I don't see him making any impression on Nadal. Nadal chases drops shots and eats up slices for fun. Then again, Nadal hasn't been looking so hot lately.
Might? Bro, it has already happened. He gave Djokovic plenty of fits at Wimbledon last year as he should have taken Novak to five sets. Then against Federer, he played a pretty close four set match against Roger on a real grass court.

Similarly, against Nadal in Australia, he was up like 5-1 or something in the second set only to blow like 6 games in a row, so the clues are already there. I mean, I don't see why Tomic wouldn't have success against Nadal, as Murray has had decent success over the years and Tomic is merely a slightly worse Murray with a strong flat forehand.

Tomic can only go up at this point, regardless of where his concentration and dedication may be at this point while the top 3 certainly aren't going to be improving that much over the next few years, so I do predict that Tomic will be someone to look out for if he faces Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

However, Tomic vs. Murray will be an utter joke always. It'll be like Murray vs. Simon which is a complete disaster for Gilles.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
I was not very active in the forum last year during Muzzalovah peak so I didn't understand why he did so well in ACC.
Now I understand :facepalm:

21 - 40 of 105 Posts