Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tsonga was up a break early on before Medvedev fought back, had 3 BPs again but Tsonga was let off the hook, before Tsonga stormed up in the TB with SPs in hand, but made some bad FH mistakes towards the end. Second set was just erratic Tsonga hitting anywhere but into the court, went for broke way too often. Too reliant on serve. Medvedev plays good margins and controls well though unorthodox, therefore easy to underestimate.

He's done well in main tour events but needs a masters or slam level breakout imo.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Too bad I couldn't watch... Checked the live score to see Tsonga with a couple of SPs, one on serve, in the first set TB. When Medvedev levelled the score, I knew what was coming and went back to work :shrug:

Nice to see another NextGen player performing well but also sad to see an old fave of mine falter :awks:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I said it in August, but he's a future world #1 for me.

Did anyone see that crazy serve he smacked at 3-1 in the 2nd? He served from the doubles alley/sideline. Ace out wide. I don't think I've ever seen that??

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Did anyone see that crazy serve he smacked at 3-1 in the 2nd? He served from the doubles alley/sideline. Ace out wide. I don't think I've ever seen that??
Someone mentioned him doing this in a previous Brisbane match thread but I've yet to see for myself.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone mentioned him doing this in a previous Brisbane match thread but I've yet to see for myself.
Signature Daniil. Clever because even if the returner is ready it's very hard to control given the angle. It's like a fast kick serve but using slider to forehand. Tsonga repaid him for it with his own late in the match.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Medvedev is such a hot and cold player. He peaks in one tournaments and then disappears in the other. He’ll need to find that consistency, but the potential and talent is there.

I think he’s really fun to watch when he’s in the zone and I hope he can replicate his Tokyo form last year vs Kei today.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Medvedev is such a hot and cold player. He peaks in one tournaments and then disappears in the other. He’ll need to find that consistency, but the potential and talent is there.

I think he’s really fun to watch when he’s in the zone and I hope he can replicate his Tokyo form last year vs Kei today.
He has been quite consistent since W/S. His loses have been twice against Federer and Coric, once vs Thiem and Khachanov.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
I said it in August, but he's a future world #1 for me.

The man in your avatar used to do that in his early years.

·
Registered
619 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts