Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Has to be up there with one of the most atrocious deciding sets I've ever seen in a final. I guess Medvedev just wanted to save big Kei from the roast of a lifetime from MTF.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Nice to see Kei finally win another title :yeah: Interesting final with many ups and downs, good start of the 2019 season.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
Topsy turvy affair. Kei was hitting himself into UEs in the first 4 games and was nearly down 0-4. Broke back and then played much better to punish Daniil's serves to clinch it 6-4. Second set Kei should have broken three times but made some bad return errors or Medvedev hit some good approach to save these. Some really long service games he endured and then Kei fell off just one game where Daniil started hitting the spots to break and take it to a third. Fighter Kei is he regrouped and fought through early patchy games and then found the return very sweet and before you knew it he broke 2 times got broken back, but broke to love again. His serving wasn't great.

I'm so happy for Kei. Had to fight for it. Daniil will be good in time, holds ground so well.

Being a Kei fan is super tough, you have to go through injuries and patchy periods, crappy serving days, crappy groundstroke days, Djokovic ffs, terrible draws and Nishikori himself. I know it's just Brisbane but it means so much to the fans and for Kei to have won this. Please be fit, healthy and strong!

·
52,625 Posts
Has to be up there with one of the most atrocious deciding sets I've ever seen in a final. I guess Medvedev just wanted to save big Kei from the roast of a lifetime from MTF.
Kei started to find his returns to a T, Daniil just got pushed back too much and cracked.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Both played their worst match of the tournament. The statistic is poor. But I'm very happy for Kei. He needed this very badly.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Congrats to Nishikori on winning the title and breaking the finals losing streak :)

As others have said before, Medvedev is still too inconsistent and today those erratic periods and dips in form cost him. Still far from the finished article but if he can iron out the wrinkles, especially on serve, the young Russian has the game to trouble most of the tour.

·
52,625 Posts
Both played their worst match of the tournament. The statistic is poor. But I'm very happy for Kei. He needed this very badly.
did you feel the court seemed slow at night? Certainly rallies were quite long. Though Medvedev is a much better and balanced groundstroke player than any of Kei's previously opponents, excepting Dimitrov.

They both served their worst in the week too. Maybe the mix of the slower conditions, final nerves and I guess quality of striking made this tough for both. Many balls Kei hit would be put away against many other players but Medvedev kept extending pts. Kei similarly kept Medvedev going. Very push tug match. Certainly entertaining for drama if not without some patchy moments and UEs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Congratulations on Kei finally breaking the 3 years title drought. He must have been very relief which you can see on his face.

I feel there are pros and cons in breaking the title drought and let me start off with the cons first

Cons:
- The last time they met was last year in Tokyo final and it would be better if he won that time because breaking the drought on his 9th final would be better than on his 10th final and also it was ATP 500 opposed to a smaller ATP 250. Moreover, it was his hometown in Japan and it would have been more meaningful had he won it there
- As this is likely to be the last Brisbane international tournament this year, it would be ashamed that he will unlikely to be able to defend the title next year

Pros:
- The title makes it a brand new start in 2019, call it like the year of the pig or whatever even CNY is coming next month
- After several appearances in Brisbane International, he finally wins the title along with the big names like Federer, Hewitt, Murray, Dimitrov, Roddick and Kyrgios which he can boost to his children, grandchildren in the future etc which I find this more meaningful than the one he won 4 titles in Memphis.
- This should give him a confidence boost in the upcoming Aussie Open and send a message to every players that he is back
- In this tournament, he seem to be more mentally strong as not only he is confident on himself but he was able to serve out the set, the match with authority APART from his last service game of the final set which is understandable, whereas last year, he would be shaky on serves, not able to consolidate the breaks, gets broken when serving the set/matches etc but not so much here.

PS: I noticed there were past Brisbane International champions who lost the final after their first try and finally wins on their 2nd attempt e.g.
Dimitrov lost in 2013 but won in 2017
Federer lost in 2014 but won in 2015
Raonic lost in 2015 but won in 2016
Nishikori lost in 2017 and finally wins today.........

·
Registered
278 Posts
did you feel the court seemed slow at night? Certainly rallies were quite long. Though Medvedev is a much better and balanced groundstroke player than any of Kei's previously opponents, excepting Dimitrov.

They both served their worst in the week too. Maybe the mix of the slower conditions, final nerves and I guess quality of striking made this tough for both. Many balls Kei hit would be put away against many other players but Medvedev kept extending pts. Kei similarly kept Medvedev going. Very push tug match. Certainly entertaining for drama if not without some patchy moments and UEs.
I feel the balls got heavier at night. But Kei already played night session wth Grigor, it did not bother him then.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Good outcome in terms of who needed a W more. Finally something to cap off the comeback. And still a decent start also for Medvedev.

·
52,625 Posts
I was unable to watch from 3-2 in the second set. What the hell happened, how did Medvedev steal that? Otherwise expected stuff.
the guy has some steely resilience, I'll give him credit there. Kei as you probably saw just made a few crucial mistakes on the BPs (or Daniil saved them well) and then just one slightly nervy service game where Daniil threw the kitchen sink at him and it worked. Kei reapplied the same pressure in set three from 2-1 up but this time things just started to flow and Daniil couldn't recover.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts