Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated December 14, 2008)

i think you got to let gooch do it the hard way. the playoff will show if he has any form whatsoever. Im not to sure about giving Tomic the wildcard, thought Eblithe or someone else should have got it
Queensland's Courier Mail reports that Klein may get the last w/c. Gooch should get Sydney. TA seems to be spreading them around like they did with the girls. That's fair!

·
Registered
175 Posts

Queensland's Courier Mail reports that Klein may get the last w/c. Gooch should get Sydney. TA seems to be spreading them around like they did with the girls. That's fair!
I read that, I don't really understand it. There are three wilcards with Bagdatis getting one, Tomich another an then I thouht there was a wildcard play off for the third. I don't see how they can have one to give to Klein. Anyone know if there is a wildcard playoff which was meant to be strating today?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated December 29, 2008)

I think they must have scrapped it.3 womens WCs already handed out so probably theyre doing the same with the men. Theres not enough time now. I think its too many matches for everyone anyway if they have a playoff for everything, especially this time of year. Hope Gucci gets one for Sydney. He's defending so much. Aus definitely needs him to stay top 100. He has agood chance in Quallies for Brisbane.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

Makes sense that he is granted entry to the tournament he did so well in last year, but a WC to the Brisbane main draw would have been more beneficial for him...it's not like Brisbane is full of mugs, but the Sydney draw is pretty heavy, leaving Gooch no place to hide when the main draw is made. :shrug:

·
Registered
32,550 Posts

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24863629-23216,00.html

Chris Guccione misses out as wildcards go to Bernard Tomic and Brydan Klein

SPURNED Chris Guccione believes Tennis Australia bosses have embarked on a Davis Cup youth revolution - and he aims to prove them wrong with a strong run in qualifying rounds for the Brisbane International.

Guccione, the coachless Australian No.2, was bypassed for the last two Brisbane International men's wildcards, which went to 16-year-old Gold Coast prodigy Bernard Tomic and Perth 19-year-old Brydan Klein.

All four men from the most recent Australian Davis Cup team - Guccione, Peter Luczak, Robert Smeets and Carsten Ball - will start 2009 in qualifying at the Queensland Tennis Centre Saturday.

Women's qualifying starts Friday.

Guccione appeared Friday to genuinely want younger players to drive Australian tennis forward, rather than guard his own patch, with selections due soon for a Davis Cup qualifying tie away in Thailand next month.

"It seems like they are going with a youth policy - they have been saying they are going to do it for a while," Guccione, 23, said.

"I hope that some of these young blokes come through and play for Australia.

"If we get back more immediately to the world group (of the Davis Cup) that's good for everybody.

"I'm really disappointed (about the Brisbane wildcards).

I am the No. 2 in Australia, but I've had opportunities in the past and they need to give these young guys their opportunities."

Guccione said he hoped he would receive a TA main draw wildcard to Sydney's Medibank International, starting on Sunday week.

The big-serving left-hander would drop from a world No. 96 ranking to the 130s if he surrenders all ranking points he took in January last year by making the second round in Adelaide and the final in Sydney, where he beat Lleyton Hewitt and top-20 player Tomas Berdych.

An 18-year-old Guccione beat then world No. 4 Juan Carlos Ferrero at a Sydney International as a wildcard, an achievement which gives Klein, in particular, something to aspire to in his own ATP debut.

"It's what Australia wants to see, them proving themselves against a top player," Guccione said.

"I hit with Tomic a little in Chile. He's really solid at the back of the court and has a lot to learn, but he's one of the best 16-year-olds in the world.

"Brydan has had some good results which I hope he takes to the next level.

"It makes it a little tougher for me to have to play (three) extra matches, but if you can get through qualifying you have some matches under your belt."

Guccione is also looking for a new coach.

"I'd prefer an Aussie coach and get out there and sort myself out," he said.

·
MONSOON season.
81,394 Posts

Thanks Labamba. Seems like Guccione is being a good sport about it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

Guccione sounds like a good guy. Hope he makes it through the qualies.

·
Registered
164 Posts

its absolutely disgraceful that tommy haas and or monfils werent offered a mdwc and instead klein and tomic recieve them. a qwc was more then adequate for both of them and gooch or smeetsy could of recieved a mdwc along with either haas or monflis. instead we see them in doha and a real possibility that no aussie will make it past the 1st rnd md with such a tough qualies draw
S

Smeets and Gooch have been getting W/C's for 5 years. Sure hope Tomic and Klein arn't still relying on handouts as 23 year olds. Anyway Baghdatis got one for Brissy, Gooch and Monfils are very likely to get Sydney. Would you have all out W/C's go to internationals? Do you think the Brits or Americans would give THEIR w/c's away to Aussies...doubtful!!! :(:confused:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated January 2, 2009)

The organizers are trying to cash in on Gooch's popularity and his sex appeal to the ladies by giving him an extra three qualifying matches to try and bring some early exposure to the tournament before the main draw.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated January 3, 2009)

do they have live score for all courts today?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated January 3, 2009)

Don't see any court missing on my livescore board....

61 - 71 of 71 Posts