Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List (updated November 26, 2008)

:eek: (is that the mtf norm now, a list of 100 alts?) :worship:

Yeah I didn't expect the field to be so good so I thought volunteering might be more exciting. :lol:

I'm thinking of getting the four day ground pass, yeah my boss is going from Thursday I think. Which is supposedly the day I go back to work..... :eek:

Hope you get the media pass! ^^
thursday is not too bad... i don't usually stay that long at a small tournament myself, firstly, and secondly if the boss is not around,...:devil:

as a matter of fact i plan to leave brisbane on tueday evening! :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Early Commitments

Djokovic :)

JO WILFRIED TSONGA!!!! :D

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List (updated December 2, 2008)

Yay! Marcos gets WC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts

I saw an interview on Youtube with Bernard Tomic where the interviewer talks about there being a possibility he'll get a wildcard.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

Bagdatis will rebounce in Brisbane, I hope. :)

·
Registered
32,550 Posts

Monfils forgot to enter :tape:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24743167-10389,00.html

Brisbane loses Gael Monfils in tennis mix-up

PLANS by French entertainer Gael Monfils to play next month's Brisbane International are in tatters after a failure to meet the entry deadline.

Monfils, who might well have been the men's third seed in Brisbane, told organisers last month he wanted to start his Australian Open campaign at the January 4-11 tournament.

But Brisbane tournament director Steve Ayles was left exasperated when the flamboyant world No. 14, who has recently changed agents, missed an entry deadline.

Ayles has promised one main draw wildcard to crowd-pleasing Marcos Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up who has dropped to No. 99 in an injury-hit year, and Tennis Australia is committed to giving the remaining two to Australian men.

"As it stands, he won't be playing and it's something that Gael regrets and his new agent regrets," Ayles said last night.

"His current agent and his former agent are blaming each other and Gael would still very much like to play our tournament.

"One thing that could get him a wildcard would be if Marcos decides he needs to play matches and says he wouldn't mind playing qualifying, but that's unlikely."

Without Monfils, who is unlikely to resort to entering Brisbane qualifying himself and has not entered either of the other ATP events in that week, the Brisbane International still has five top-20 men.

Spain's Davis Cup winner Fernando Verdasco (16), Swede Robin Soderling (17) and Czech Tomas Berdych (20) were added to a field already known to have been headlined by Australian Open finalists Novak Djokovic (3) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (6).

There are also big names among the ranks of unseeded men with Baghdatis and Spain's former world No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero (55).

Gold Coast 16-year-old Bernard Tomic remained in contention for one of the two men's wildcards, Ayles said.

"There's one wildcard for the winner of a wildcard playoff (to be contested by eight men from December 31) and then we have to make a decision on people like Tomic - we feel Tomic at this stage is a possibility for a wildcard," he said.

Gold Coast runner-up Victoria Azarenka's entry completed a women's field boasting 10 of the top 30 women.

Top seed Ana Ivanovic (5) is one of the great drawcards in women's tennis, but the last Gold Coast event had eight top-20 women, although none ranked higher than No.12.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

I saw an interview on Youtube with Bernard Tomic where the interviewer talks about there being a possibility he'll get a wildcard.
Tomic said on the TA podcast a few weeks ago that he would like wild cards to Brisbane & AO main draw & that his performance at the TA training camp/AO wild card play-off would determine his fate. (He hadn't been promised either outright.)

There's also a Brisbane wild card play-off according to this interview: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24743167-10389,00.html
Gold Coast 16-year-old Bernard Tomic remained in contention for one of the two men's wildcards, Ayles said.

"There's one wildcard for the winner of a wildcard playoff (to be contested by eight men from December 31) and then we have to make a decision on people like Tomic - we feel Tomic at this stage is a possibility for a wildcard," he said.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List (updated December 3, 2008)

I read Marko Djokovic is in.

·
Registered
14,410 Posts

allez Jo, bonne chance :music:
crucial time for him with all these points to defend from January 2008

good luck to Baggy and Thomaz as well :)

I read Marko Djokovic is in.
Not really? :help:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

Good luck Gasquet, Mathieu, Nieminen, Verdasco, Kunitsyn and Baghdatis :cool:

·
Banned
4,133 Posts

lol Gucci is not in main 000

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Re: Brisbane Entry List (updated November 26, 2008)

I hope they give Haas a wildcard, but they probably won't. Tomic, Guccione, Monfils and Baghdatis all need one - who do you think will be left out of this group? I'm thinking Tomic.
Lolz what ahs Tomic done to deserve a MD WC

21 - 40 of 71 Posts