1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
(thread is about Wimbledon 2001 final : Ivanisevic vs Rafter)

I remember catching it on HRT3 , didnt watch it from the start.As the game progressed the atmosphere was getting electric but the picture was getting worse and worse on my TV (was a fine day as i remember , no wind or anything to move the antenna)...unexplainable and i was going mad.Towards the end of the match the sound was also coming and going and i could barely see any picture. Ended up on my knees infront of the TV just hoping Goran would nail it . And he didnt , but luckily Rafter made that mistake and there we were...Best wimbledon final for me , i can only imagine how it was for those who had the chance to be there.

Many say it was the best wimby final ever...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well I was in the same boat as you, I could not miss school that day so milked my home stay as long as I could and then as I mentioned had to call my brother 3 times to find out the score.

I think it was the greatest final(that I have seen), and the crowd was also awesome, almost like a davis cup crowd.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
As the title says, dont know why but decided to youtube this today and watched both clips:

All I can say is what a match and too bad I missed the final games of the monday final(I remember being in school and calling my brother for match updates):

:worship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGKJiCXOCAc&feature=related
OMG, that last Rafter serve at 15-40, what was he thinking? 2nd serve to the forehand, directly into Goran's striking zone :eek:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Great crowd for that final.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
still sends shivers down my spine when i watch this

goran, you legend

·
124,507 Posts
That was a horrible serve indeed! But what a great match, so much emotion there!
I agree it was great to watch and this comes from a man that hates grass tennis.

·
124,507 Posts
This wasn't so long ago, but the commentators are hilarious in their hope.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Lucky you, how much did you pay for the ticket?
Only £20. The final happened on a Monday (since it'd rained on Sunday). On "people's Monday" tickets are sold on first come first served basis. I went there to queue at 5am. By 6am the queue went on for miles. I was lucky!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts