1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/07/1041566409955.html

By Ben Wyld
January 8 2003

Watch out, Lleyton Hewitt. Carlos Moya is so relaxed at the thought of playing the world No1 he actually enjoys seeing Hewitt's name against his in tournament draws.

"The last four times he didn't win even a set, you know, of the last four times we played each other, so that gives you a lot of confidence," Moya said after his straightforward 6-3, 6-7 (8-6), 6-3 first-round win over American James Blake at the adidas International yesterday. "This year I feel like I could be even better, in a better position." He's not being cocky. The comment comes with a 5-2 record against the Australian - which included four successive wins against Hewitt last year. Moya's results suggest that perhaps he has the secret formula to consistently derail the Australian.

"I think his trouble is with my forehand; he finds it very difficult to find my backhand," Moya said. "I can only say that, when I play him, I feel very comfortable."

The 26-year-old Spaniard, a former world No1, finds himself back in contention for the top spot after a series of injuries that included a stress fracture in his lower back. The time spent in convalescence has allowed Moya to take stock of his game and make the improvements he feels can get him to the top spot.

"Before, I still was able to be number one and win a grand slam with not a very good backhand," he said. "After I fell injured ... I hit thousands of backhands during practice.

"It's not the best backhand on tour but I can be comfortable playing backhand and wait for the chance to play my forehand."

Blake enjoyed success only last weekend against Hewitt at the Hopman Cup. He believes Moya possesses perhaps the heaviest back-court game on the tour.
"I think Carlos should be one of the favourites going into the Australian Open," Blake said. "I'm not used to playing too many guys with bigger forehands than me. As soon as he gets a chance, he rips it and hits it so heavy that it makes it really tough just to even stay in the point after he hits it."

He also believes Moya may have Hewitt's measure.

"I think he's one of the few people on tour that can probably overpower Lleyton, as tough as it is to do," the American said.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Good to hear that Moyke is so confident ;)

All bow to the Master Peeler :D

And if he draw is like Nacho said, the Potato will always have a chance to catch another of those misterious potato diseases to avoid yet another loss of his peel;)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Go Potato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trash-talking mingers don't last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Moya, KISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!! And kiss Hewitt's ass while you're at it!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Everyone told Moya to cut his hair; he went and took everyone's advice. But damn you all must regret such requests now

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Carlos certainly has a good record againsty Llyeyton~ but everyone has some nemesis, & Moya is the only guy Hewitt has losing record to. Remember Rocky may 'lose the battle but win the war' against the likes of Potato Peeler. It's not enough just to beat Lleyton if you don't go on to win the whole schhbaaanggg.! For instance Masters Cup Shanghai~ yeah Carlos played his best tennis again to beat Lleyton 6:4. 7:5 but the only thing anyone will remember about the tournament is the Final: where Hewitt won a classic 5-setter against Ferrero. At the End of the Day~ Lleyton will have 6-8 Slams against his name & Carlos will merely have the French + a fine recored against the No.1 to tell his Grandchildren about. ps. If Rocky & Carolos draw each other in a Slam- I foresee Mr Potato to win in 5-sets~ more time to figure out the Spanish forehand!

·
Registered
27,194 Posts
Well, I have to say I hope Minging Moya is on the opposite half of Lleyton's draw, though I think Lleyton could take him in a best of five, in Slam, in Australia. If they meet, I guess we'll see.

Even with short hair, Moya stills majorly mings.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
gosh what a sweet diss! i couldn't have composed it better! ;)

i bow to the wisdom of the King. he knows that he rules!!! go Moya. :eek: :eek:

i'm sure Hewitt is already sweating in his jockstrap. lol! he must be so scared to face Moya...

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
Everyone told Moya to cut his hair; he went and took everyone's advice. But damn you all must regret such requests now
Who is everyone? Why do they ask him to cut his locks:confused: ?

Anyway, back to the Moya-Hewitt h-to-h. I think it's just natural for Carlos to say that he's comfortable playing against Hewitt. When he beats him so many times, he's of course confident about it. But I'm sure he's not taking things for granted, cos everyone knows Hewitt is a fighter and hard to be intimidated.

I like to see Moya meeting Hewitt in Aussie. But since Agassi will be at the opposite side of draw, I prefer to see Moya beating Agassi bcos I'm still amazed by his match in TMS Paris :D .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts