Mens Tennis Forums banner

341 - 360 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
New headline for you: the vast majority of young people voted for "I don't care". 64% of registered 18-24 year olds did not vote. That doesn't include the ones who didn't bother to register in the first place (e.g. my brother).

This is typical. Most people I knew at university didn't give a shit about politics. It was something that annoyed me about them.

Perhaps some of these people can account for "what is the EU?" trending on Google.

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Borderline retarded Labour MP is openly calling for Parliament to deny the voters our will:

He appeared on a general knowledge TV quiz a few years ago and demonstrated his extraordinary lack of cultivation:

Yes, the United Kingdom has an MP who thinks Henry VIII was succeded on the throne by Henry VII. And now, this highly educated charmer thinks MPs should destroy their already low reputation by ignoring the outcome of the referendum. Impressive!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Do those of you who voted for Leave actually have any confidence in the political leadership not screwing this up totally?

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
Do those of you who voted for Leave actually have any confidence in the political leadership not screwing this up totally?
That was my idea about trying to encourage people to vote remain. As if the wing of the Tory party that is further to the right will protect regional funding form the EU or the NHS. But people just think immigrants now won't take their jobs. However, it's more likely the UK will end up being effectively in the EU but with no seat at the table and a lot of people will quickly learn they've been duped and project 'Fear' was project reality.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
I don't have confidence in the Conservatives to take us out of the European Union, no. I will not be surprised if they find a way to keep us in, but I could be wrong. I didn't think they would give us a referendum in the first place. Perhaps there are enough indignant pro-Brexit backbenchers to prevent any funny business. The risk of defying the voters might be too high.

I assume that is what you meant by "this".

If you are asking if they will screw up the actual governing the country, the solution to bad government is to kick them out and elect another. We cannot do that with the European Commission, which is why so many of us voted to leave before our native political class could cede more powers to them.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
Ah yes, no leaders like anti-democratic, imperialist, genocidal leaders
Doesn't mean what he said isn't correct.

Yes, the United Kingdom has an MP who thinks Henry VIII was succeded on the throne by Henry VII. And now, this highly educated charmer thinks MPs should destroy their already low reputation by ignoring the outcome of the referendum. Impressive!
Goddam, you don't even need to know any history to know Henry VII cannot possibly be the answer. :lol:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It's taken me a few days to get over the shock. I've done it, just about.

Many leave voters voted to 'make Britain great again'. How is this going to make Britain anything but much weaker?? And divided?!! Poll in Scotland now shows that 59% of Scots want to leave the UK. that figure was only 45% at the independence referendum.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The ignorance of some people in this angers me so much. I wonder if they'd be saying about how Great the UK is when Scotland becomes independent and there's instability between Northern Ireland and Ireland once again. They're not making Britain 'Great', they're destroying a 300 year alliance. That was the whole point of the EU in first place, to keep Europe stable after WW2.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A bigger percentage of younger voters wanting to stay only shows how easily they can be brainwashed with logical fallacies like the emotional appeal.

I haven't heard any arguments other than ultimately weak stuff like vaguely defined economic risks and wanting to raise a fist against 'racism' and 'nationalism'. They actually believe autonomy is racist. Disgusting slave mentality.
it's not that people think autonomy is racist but that tons of the people who voted for leave are actually bigoted and racist. There is a huge number of people who voted for this because they believed that this would stop immigration. They even think it will stop Muslims coming into the country, even though most of them don't even come from the EU. Man, they will be disappointed.

Also, in the aftermath of the result , a lot of Polish and South Asians and other ethnic groups have been randomly abused or attacked and told to go home. Some of the British press and the leave campaign have been pretty disgusting the whole time, spewing outright lies and creating sensationalist hate against immigrants. You cannot pretend that doesn't exist, or maybe you can if you are not from the UK...

Yes, I have no problem with people who voted to leave because of the undemocratic aspects or they felt there were genuine economic reasons that is would be better for the UK to leave. I personally believe most of the problems faced by Britain are due to decisions by the UK government and not the EU. However, I think leave voters are going to be disappointed when they realise they will be stuck with the same bunch of fools in parliament.

I simply cannot understand how British people think they will get a better deal. Unless the EU suddenly disintegrates, which it won't, there's no way the UK is going to negotiate a better deal out of Europe. People compare to Norway, but Norway has access to the common market and pays a relatively high amount for that access TO THE EU and abide by EU rules but without actually being a member and without voting rights .

Further to this, a poll conducted after the referendum result shows that 59% of people in Scotland now want to leave the UK. That's an incredible jump from the 45% that voted in the referendum. So we're looking at the break up of the UK as well as an exit from the EU. One of the main talking points among those who campaigned to keep Scotland in the UK was that a vote for independence would mean Scotland would be out of the EU. Many people didn't vote for independence for this reason. However, now Scotland has voted to stay in the EU with a sizeable 62% majority and yet has found itself being forced out against its will. Unless there is some dramatic change of circumstances, there will be another Scottish referendum and it looks very likely people will vote for independence.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Anyone who thinks it is possible to control immigration while maintaining EU membership is a fool. Ending free movement is a prerequisite before we can reassert full control of our own borders. We don't even have borders as an EU member state. Anyone with an EU passport can travel here and stay long-term. And no, it is not unjustified to think that large numbers of Muslims posing as refugees can exploit this freedom of movement by travelling into EU countries like Hungary and using them to get to into Western countries. So far, Germany has clearly taken the real brunt, but that won't continue indefinitely. The EU's imposition of refugee quotas on its member states, threatening non-compliant states (e.g. Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic) with €250,000 sanctions for each refugee they refuse, is one very obvious and undeniable sign of things to come. Many of the people who voted to leave because of immigration are aware of this stuff.

Anyone who thinks we will reduce immigration by leaving the EU but maintaining a Conservative or Labour government is also a fool. Under their leadership, non-EU immigration has consistently been higer than EU immigration. Leaving the EU is a necessary step but not the endgame, as everyone I know on the "far-right" is more than aware. If I come across an immigration sceptic who has been misled into thinking the EU holds sole responsibility, I will be eager to disabuse him of this impression. The problem started before Britain even joined the EEC and will continue after we leave the EU, unless a political party willing to do something about it emerges. If such a party emerged without Brexit, the EU would go out of its way to block any change, like it did in Austria after the 1999 election. Fortunately, Britain is far better situated than Austria to deal with attempts by continental powers to bully us.

If you think they're all so naive that they believe this fight has been won, you should try speaking to more of them instead of basing your opinion on a few C4 and Guardian video clips.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Immigration is not a major problem and people have been duped into thinking it is. People have also been given the impression that foreigners in general are the problem. Look at the disgusting behaviour this referendum result has brought out here:

Racist incidents feared to be linked to Brexit result | Politics | The Guardian

It's clear to me that whatever concerns you have about immigration that may or may not be fixed by leaving the EU, the disadvantages are going to far outweigh any advantages. Major instability is being risked here over concerns about refugees, the number of whom Britain actually takes in is minuscule in comparison to other countries. It just seems absolutely absurd that people would want to leave the EU because they are worried that some people might try to pose as refugees. Of course, many people don't even have arguments as nuanced as this and just want Poles or Pakis out. It's sick as well when you think that the refugee crisis is actually something that Britain has some responsibility for creating. What a disgustingly selfish and small-minded country Britain has become.

Even with Britain out of the EU, it is likely there are still going to be similar numbers of immigrants, and even prominent people on the leave side are now admitting this. It was 2004 when the EU was extended that immigration increased and including many Poles, but even before they arrived Daily Mail-minded people were extraordinarily against it based on media hysteria, and what really fanned the flames of anger was when the financial crisis and recession hit when people saw immigration as the ultimate scapegoat. The printing of stories and lies about the numbers of Romanians or whatever other group that are 'invading' the UK; the perpetuation of the myth that they are a burden to the tax system when EU migrants actually contribute more tax than they receive; and more recently the various scare tactics and lies and half-truths put forward by the Leave campaign about the cost of the EU and immigration.

The economic problems of the UK resulted not from the EU or immigration, it was the fault of the reckless UK government and economic mismanagement elsewhere. If this recession had not occurred when it did, I highly doubt there would even be any EU referendum at all. Yes, there have been great problems in the EU, but Britain would have be far better places to fix them from within than where it is now, broken and weak.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
I used to agree with you before I experienced "diversity" for myself. I would sooner die than see Northumberland transformed into the kind of shithole places like Newham and Bradford have become. I refuse to be duped into thinking "diversity is our strength" and other nonsense. The awful rootless cosmopolitanism that the EU and Britain's own political class want to impose on this country is something I will never, ever capitulate to.

Culture and demographics are more important than economics.

341 - 360 of 389 Posts