Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some debates in some UK politics forum, still think this deserves a separate thread since the result will impact the entire EU not just Britain.

Surely, this can be considered as one of the most important event in the recent European history. A lot of campaigning in the UK these past months, debates, arguments. And now the day is before us. Early exit polls should be revealed by evening, and official results are due by tomorrow morning.

Will the UK leave EU, what comes next for Europe? Can European Union survive without UK, can it be better? What will the result mean for Scotland and other autonomy seeking regions in Europe? Should be an interesting day.

UK MTF members can feel free to share their view (and votes), if they so wish.

·
Registered
36,852 Posts
in the last two weeks im reading lots of reports at the bank what will happen if the UK will leave the EU.
most of them Describe the economic chaos in the EU and UK economic slump

I'll tell you a secret - economists loveeeeeee projections, love 'em.
In reality - nobody but nobody knows what will happen

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I can't see anything but disadvantages for both the EU and UK if they vote leave. But hey, I'm just watching it from the stands, would love to read some feedback from the Briton here.

Quite an important day ahead of us. Is it plausible for the EU to keep going without one of their biggest economies?

As of late, polls seem to be quite even, and even since Cox's murder Remain has gained the edge slightly. But this is going to be won by details, no doubts.

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
I don't see any disadvantages for UK tbh. Maybe only that they'll stop getting easily Polish bus drivers who know how to drive through snow.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if in 30 years they belonged to some caliphate union anyway, they seem to enjoy it and are happy about it, so good luck :)

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I voted to leave. I hope we win and that other EU countries follow.
Main argument, if I may ask?
Apart from the European crowds bothering Murray in the RG final. :lol:

·
Registered
21,262 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EU should just troll Britain and after today when they decide to stay in the EU, have it's own referendum on "Should we kick Britain out?"

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Hate this guy.

Anyway, there are many reasons why (despite living in EU for several years now) i thought Britain is not a part of EU, the easiest being that being that i thought that all EU countries are either in Schengen Area or going to be there.

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,111 Posts
Hopefully this will trigger the end of EU before they approve TTIP behind our backs.

Hate this guy.

Anyway, there are many reasons why (despite living in EU for several years now) i thought Britain is not a part of EU, the easiest being that being that i thought that all EU countries are either in Schengen Area or going to be there.
UK, Ireland and a few recent EU eastern members are not in Schengen. On the other hand there are non-EU countries which are part of Schengen: SWI, NOR and ICE.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
UK, Ireland and a few recent EU eastern members are not in Schengen. On the other hand there are non-EU countries which are part of Schengen: SWI, NOR and ICE.
Yeah, i knew this about Switzerland and Norway, and also realized that some new eastern members may not be in Schengen yet, but i made a wrong conclusion from the fact that UK is not in Schengen.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I voted In today. Bookies predict an easy win for Remain: 1.5 - 6

I predict Remain 60%, Leave 40%.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Do they allow exit polls in the UK?
Any indications of how the vote is going?
British pollster YouGov will publish a poll showing how people have voted in the European Union referendum shortly after polling stations close on Thursday, hoping to repeat its successful prediction of the 2014 Scottish independence vote.

As in 2014 and unlike in national elections, British broadcasters on Thursday will not conduct exit polls - in which people are asked as they leave polling stations how they voted - because the margin of error for an event which has little precedent is too large.

YouGov's poll will be based on responses from a pre-selected group of people seen as representative of the wider electorate on how they actually voted in the referendum.

Its findings are due to be announced by Sky News soon after polling stations close at 10 p.m. (2100 GMT).

In the absence of exit polls, the YouGov survey will be closely watched by the 24-hour foreign exchange market GBP=, which has see-sawed in recent weeks as polls have shown shifts in support for the rival "In" and "Out" camps.

The online survey will be drawn from a panel of people who have previously been polled by YouGov about their voting intentions and who have agreed to share their decision once they have voted, a spokesman for YouGov said.

The figures will be weighted for a number of factors, he added, declining to comment further on specifics. No figure for the number of people to be surveyed was immediately available.
YouGov to release Brexit night poll, hopes to repeat Scotland success | Reuters

BBC and other broadcasters are not allowed to comment on how the voting is going while the polls are still open

You will have noticed that our coverage of the EU referendum is limited today. That's because the BBC - like other broadcasters - is not allowed to report on the campaigning while the polls are open.

That's to ensure that the BBC's output cannot be seen as influencing the ballot while the polls are open.

* The restrictions started today at 00:30 BST and will end at 22:00 BST when voting closes.

* Between 00:30 BST and 22:00 BST there will be no coverage of any of the issues relating to the referendum campaign on TV, radio or bbc.co.uk.

* Subjects which have been contested or are part of the campaign in any way - or other controversial matters relating to the EU or the referendum - must not be covered on polling day.

What can the BBC report?

* Uncontroversial factual accounts such as the appearance of politicians and others at polling stations or the weather.

* The practicalities such as when the polls are open, the wording of the question and expectations of when the result may be known are allowed.

* The BBC's online sites will not have to remove archived reports.

What can't the BBC report?

* The BBC stops short of actually encouraging people to vote.

* While the polls are open, it is a criminal offence for anyone, not just broadcasters, to publish anything about the way in which people have voted in the referendum, where that is based on information given by voters after they have voted.

* The BBC can't report anything emerging from exit polls (which, by definition, are asking people how they actually voted), although the broadcasters have not commissioned any exit polls for the referendum.

* No opinion poll on any issue relating to the referendum can be published by broadcasters until after the polls have closed.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's normal for a complete media silence on the day of the vote (until polls close). Here in Slovenia it's 2 whole days before the vote.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I reckon this is going to be close, in the Scottish referendum there was only one poll that showed Out ahead, whereas Leave has a solid polling advantage. I think it'll be a matter of a few percent, hopefully in favour of Remain.

1 - 20 of 389 Posts