Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Devastating news from Federer himself today at an award ceremony in Switzerland:

"I wished I would be at 100 percent in October. But I'm still not there today. It's going to be tight for the Australian Open."

"I wish I would have made more progress, but I'm fine with where I am right now. We had a plan from the get go to take enough time for the healing. We only make the next step if we are truly ready."

This sounds grim, people. I guess the signs were always there. Federer's body can't take it anymore.

The old man should just relax and let it all go. He achieved more than anybody could have dreamed of and will always be remembered as one of the true legends of the sport.

Source: Noch nicht bei 100 Prozent - Federer: «Für die Australian Open wird es knapp»

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
So progress not as good as intended, but also no setbacks. I wonder what the bit about 100% is... is it specifically about the knee or his conditioning/level overall... In any case doesn't sound like everything is a ok. It has already taken quite some time, but think of Wawrinka e.g. His comeback was a very long and painful one. Here's to hoping.

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Won’t be surprised if Roger skips the AO. That would be very disappointing but what can we do...
He should do everything to be in top shape for Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Devastating news from Federer himself today at an award ceremony in Switzerland:

"I wished I would be at 100 percent in October. But I'm still not there today. It's going to be tight for the Australian Open."

"I wish I would have made more progress, but I'm fine with where I am right now. We had a plan from the get go to take enough time for the healing. We only make the next step if we are truly ready."

This sounds grim, people. I guess the signs were always there. Federer's body can't take it anymore.

The old man should just relax and let it all go. He achieved more than anybody could have dreamed of and will always be remembered as one of the true legends of the sport.

View attachment 359528

Source: Noch nicht bei 100 Prozent - Federer: «Für die Australian Open wird es knapp»

I read the German language article and it doesn't exactly say he's struggling with injury though. It sounded like they were taking it cautiously to make sure he's solid and all the way back so as to avoid re-injury.

Is there something here you specifically found troubling?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Personally, with 2 operations in 2020, including the second in June, and limited activity since, at a minimum (especially promotional and advertising), I thought that Fed does not play the OA, or at best if possible to test himself in competition without taking any risk, to hope to obtain a peak (at 40 anyway) for Wimbledon and possibly OG.

·
Your visions will happen
49,193 Posts
Personally, with 2 operations in 2020, including the second in June, and limited activity since, at a minimum (especially promotional and advertising), I thought that Fed does not play the OA, or at best if possible to test himself in competition without taking any risk, to hope to obtain a peak (at 40 anyway) for Wimbledon and possibly OG.
I think he should go to AO just to shake off some rust and get into shape. Unless he is hurt. If it is just a question of fitness, go. Who cares if you lose R4 or something, the aura is already long gone. Point is to peak at Wimbledon/OG as you said

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
That some good news!

Let's be optimistic, no? AO is still two months away. He'll be ready.
Honestly I can see 2 variants here:
1) Like Haas' case - very average and accasual play 0.5- 1 (2 years maximum)
2) Like Croom's case - more prolonged (before 45-47) play with some SF (maximum F) of ATP 250...

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read the German language article and it doesn't exactly say he's struggling with injury though. It sounded like they were taking it cautiously to make sure he's solid and all the way back so as to avoid re-injury.

Is there something here you specifically found troubling?
We know Federer is an extremely optimistic and confident person. So I take him saying he is not where he wants to be as a very bad sign.

I hope I'm wrong. But I feel this is his way of saying he is struggling very hard to get back at 100 %.

We will know soon enough...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
We know Federer is an extremely optimistic and confident person. So I take him saying he is not where he wants to be as a very bad sign.

I hope I'm wrong. But I feel this is his way of saying he is struggling very hard to get back at 100 %.

We will know soon enough...
he done for Slams? I think YES sorry(

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Who cares if you lose R4 or something, the aura is already long gone.
Going out to R4 would be an excellent result, it is already what could be this year, it is not a question of aura since in truth, Federer does not have much more to prove, but especially not to definitively compromise this which he considers as a last good chance to make a result at Wimbledon, by re-injuring himself, which would certainly be the end of the game.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
damn

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Being hopeful I read that as 100% to him means 2017 level and winning the title and he's a bit off that given he hasn't played for a year.

Not good if he dosen't think his current level could get him through the first week.

Still probably 7-8 weeks before tournament starts so he's got more time for practice and fitness work than in normal years.

·
Registered
824 Posts
He should come back on the softer surfaces. Protect the knee, gain fitness and peak for grass.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts