Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Anyone who expects elite athletes NOT to take LEGAL medical advice and take LEGAL medication is deluded. There is a HUGE difference between doing everything one can to remain healthy and recover from gruelling matches LEGALLY and using illegal doping. No one can be an elite athlete and not take all LEGAL medical advice and medication available. It doesn't dilute their achievements in my opinion. And some athletes can have longer careers now, not because they are doping illegally, but because science moves forward constantly. Some people couldn't achieve anything in sport even with all the legal medical advice and medication. And some players still retire due to injuries and illness. That's what makes some athletes so special: they are able to continue even without illegal doping.

And that's why its unfair to compare players who dope illegally and players who do everything they can to look after themselves under the rules, and why throwing shade at players is wrong.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It would be interesting to know the exact levels of bolderone found in Farrah´s blood and compare to a human control after eating a piece of steak from a heavily treated cow. Maybe even Farrah himself could act as a control to lower inter individual variability in metabolism.

In these cases of doping, I always feel they´re hiding something, wether it´s because they protect other players that dope or they don´t deliver all the information to the public so that other experts can judge.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just to throw in a few numbers.

Farah failed an out-of-competition test taken mid-October.
According to ITF data, 2019 was the first season EVER that Farah was tested out-of-competition by international testing authority. All of his tests prior to 2019 were conducted only during the tournaments he played — and they were not frequent. For example, in 2011-2018 (eight years) he underwent roughly the same amount of tests as Karen Khachanov did in 2018 alone. And Farah have been winning multiple titles a year since 2014.
He was tested a total of 3 times in 2018 — the season he reached F, SF, QF at slams, won an M1000 title and played YEC. We don't have official data for 2019 yet, but Farah in his press release stated he was tested 'more than' 15 times last year — a huge increase compared to his 2018 test numbers.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I was sad to read this. I don't watch much play in Doubles, but I did see and enjoy seeing him and his partner play.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Ive read a few articles on how innacurate these tests can be and how negligible amounts can lead to positive tests to the point where I doubt a lot of these results where amounts are so low. Its not like baseball players who failed multiple tests and other evidence was overwhelming.

As for recreational drugs, no player should be banned for that. It's not performance enhancing. Drugs should be legal anyway, imo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May be Farah, like Sharapova, must say that he did not find the WADA Prohibited List, because he suddenly forgot how to use the Internet. And then CAS admits that he took the dope by mistake.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
No need to repeat the same idiocy three times. There is little in common between both cases.

·
Registered
10,339 Posts
Just to throw in a few numbers.

Farah failed an out-of-competition test taken mid-October.
According to ITF data, 2019 was the first season EVER that Farah was tested out-of-competition by international testing authority. All of his tests prior to 2019 were conducted only during the tournaments he played — and they were not frequent. For example, in 2011-2018 (eight years) he underwent roughly the same amount of tests as Karen Khachanov did in 2018 alone. And Farah have been winning multiple titles a year since 2014.
He was tested a total of 3 times in 2018 — the season he reached F, SF, QF at slams, won an M1000 title and played YEC. We don't have official data for 2019 yet, but Farah in his press release stated he was tested 'more than' 15 times last year — a huge increase compared to his 2018 test numbers.
With that kind of context, Farrah's exposure sounds like a political move more than anything else.

Edit: and I honestly don't care if tennis players are doping. The authorities aren't serious about preventing it anyway.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
With that kind of context, Farrah's exposure sounds like a political move more than anything else.

Edit: and I honestly don't care if tennis players are doping. The authorities aren't serious about preventing it anyway.
Drug testing agencies tend to maintain a watch list of athletes under suspicion that they target more aggressively so maybe he had a slight abnormality on his blood passport that was not enough for a doping violation but warranted adding him to such a list.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts