Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: The Sydney Swans v Geelong Cats AFL elimination final played at the SCG on the 9th August 2005.


As I'm sure many of you are aware, the Sydney Swans AFL side scored an emphatic victory last week, breaking the Geelong Cats' hearts with Nick Davis kicking the winning goal only seconds before the final siren sounded. Those of you who watched the game, may remember the passage of play from which Davis snared his miracle goal - a vital element of which was overlooked by everyone in the country, bar a few people with insider knowledge.

The ball was locked up in a tackle around 20m out from Sydney's goal. The umpire then threw it up in the air, with Jason Ball winning the hitout knocking it towards the swans goal, resulting in the consequent crumbing by Davis - which will be remembered by many for a long time to come.

The query with the play, is - why the ball was thrown up in the air? Isn't it normally bounced when there is a stoppage in the field of play? Well, it isn't when the ground is wet; the ground was wet on the night of the match, but not completely soaked. One may ask - why the umpire at one end of the ground was bouncing the ball, while at the other, it was thrown up in the air.

The answer could be classified as being rather conspicuous, but I have information from a reliable source (the father of one of the other umpires in that same match) who claims that that particular umpire has a back problem, which doesn't allow him to bend over to bounce the ball properly - hence, why he resorted to the throw. You may then ask why he umpired in the first place - well, it is every players dream to participate in the finals which often results in players ignoring pain and possibly not resting injuries when required, and the same goes for the umpires. Nothing short of whistleblowing by a few close colleagues would have prevented the umpire from ajudicating in this match. The umpire in question still had the ability to run, and he is obviously regarded as a fair umpire - which is why he was selected in the first place.

What difference would a bounce have made instead of a throw? Of course, Sydney could have scored a goal regardless, but, this would have been a much less likely outcome. Geelong lost their premier ruckman in Steven King half way through the match, while the Swans' ruckman Jason Ball is an experienced journeyman who has been around for over a decade at the top level of the sport. This gave the edge to Sydney regardless, but even more so considering the reduction of variables - due to a throw-up instead of a bounce down.

The variables are far more unpredictable in a bounce than a throw. An Aussie Rules ball is not round, and it is quite hard to bounce so that it comes up perpendicular to the ground - which is the stipulated aim of each such action. A bounce, also takes longer before the ball comes into contact with either of the ruckman. Considering there were only seconds left, the throw-up gave the obvious advantage to the Swans, and they took their chance, and are now into the Grand Final.

If the ball was bounced down, as it should have been, the most likely outcome would have been the formation of a ruck, with 4-10 desperate players scrapping for the ball. The most likely outcome? The Cats would have been through to the preliminary final against St Kilda.

The moral of the story? There isn't really one, except that you have to take the good with the bad - such is the nature of sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
:p in that case an article about the bad umpiring in the swans eagles game should also be posted...if THAT had been umpired PROPERLY west coast wouldnt have had the week off, the swans would have
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fi-Fi said:
:p in that case an article about the bad umpiring in the swans eagles game should also be posted...if THAT had been umpired PROPERLY west coast wouldnt have had the week off, the swans would have
I never said that Geelong should have won.

Ok, and with the Swans, did you watch the match? Who is to say that the free kick would have resulted in a goal anyhow? And the rest of the match would have been different from that point - refer to the butterfly effect.

I know the NSW media have been pumping Sydneysiders full of all this crap, Bad Gambler has exactly the same opinion as you. Do you want me to say Sydney was hard done by? I can't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
yeah i did watch the match but who cares anyway we'll never agree on this anyway seeing as we support opposing teams not only for that match but for the grand final too

and i can understand why u cant say the swans were hard done by...what kind of fan would that make u?

so anyway, im really stubborn and refuse to change my mind when i believe something so there no point in fighting about it :hug:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Fact is Eagles got a free kick and Stenglein goaled when they were down by 9 points. Umps admitted the mistake after the game.

Regardless, both teams have now made it to the last Saturday in September, so no more home umpire biases, may the best team win
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fi-Fi said:
yeah i did watch the match but who cares anyway we'll never agree on this anyway seeing as we support opposing teams not only for that match but for the grand final too

and i can understand why u cant say the swans were hard done by...what kind of fan would that make u?

so anyway, im really stubborn and refuse to change my mind when i believe something so there no point in fighting about it :hug:
It's not like I'm using double standards here.

The Swans won against Geelong, and the Eagles against the Swans.

I'm not doubting either of those results - but there were questionable moments in each of those 2 games, as there are in other games, and other sports. Do you remember the 2001 semi final at the US Open between Roddick and Hewitt? Roddick got a bad call in the final game - and he lost. Again, would it have made a difference? Who knows... Sport is sport, you take the good with the bad.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad gambler said:
Fact is Eagles got a free kick and Stenglein goaled when they were down by 9 points. Umps admitted the mistake after the game.

Regardless, both teams have now made it to the last Saturday in September, so no more home umpire biases, may the best team win
Yes, that is a fact.

Who's to say Eagles or Swans wouldn't have won by 5 goals had that decision gone the other way?

Nobody, that path remains unwritten.
 

·
Same as it ever was
Joined
·
20,587 Posts
OMG it's all playing with my head too much!!! I can't cope with AFL anymore this year coz it's gonna make me cry all over again... I already nearly put a fist though every wall in the house after the semi :bigcry:

All I can say is, thank goodness England won the Ashes or my week would have been really depressing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peta Pan said:
OMG it's all playing with my head too much!!! I can't cope with AFL anymore this year coz it's gonna make me cry all over again... I already nearly put a fist though every wall in the house after the semi :bigcry:

All I can say is, thank goodness England won the Ashes or my week would have been really depressing.
:lol:

I have 2 requests.

1. change your avatar to one of the more amiable english cricketers - flintoff, pietersen...

2. why do you support england? :shrug:
 

·
Same as it ever was
Joined
·
20,587 Posts
its.like.that said:
1. change your avatar to one of the more amiable english cricketers - flintoff, pietersen...
:fiery: Knock my Michael and I'll change the goodrep I gave you to a bad one :fiery:

Michael is a lovely, friendly and good (and hot) person... and I won't hear a bad word against him :p

2. why do you support england? :shrug:
Because the Australian team are arrogant pricks :shrug: I've supported them since 1997... and most of my family is English and I've got dual citizenship so it's allowed ;)
 

·
MTF. Never changes!
Joined
·
10,054 Posts
:hug: Peta...we need another Ashes ASAP. Remember...weeks ago when the world revolved around the Brits :tape: and their winning ways (double tape!!), and you actually seemed disinterested in AFL because of planty's efforts!? *sigh* those were the days!! Seems so long ago :scratch:
 

·
Same as it ever was
Joined
·
20,587 Posts
Bjorkman_Girl said:
:hug: Peta...we need another Ashes ASAP. Remember...weeks ago when the world revolved around the Brits :tape: and their winning ways (double tape!!), and you actually seemed disinterested in AFL because of planty's efforts!? *sigh* those were the days!! Seems so long ago :scratch:
LMAO, well I was never totally disinterested... but my passion did turn more so to the cricket :yeah:

Oh and for the uneducated, Planty is actually Kristen/Peta code for Vaughan :lol:
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
Peta Pan said:
LMAO, well I was never totally disinterested... but my passion did turn more so to the cricket :yeah:

Oh and for the uneducated, Planty is actually Kristen/Peta code for Vaughan :lol:
If you want a new avatar for a change here is one you might like.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peta Pan said:
:fiery: Knock my Michael and I'll change the goodrep I gave you to a bad one :fiery:

Michael is a lovely, friendly and good (and hot) person... and I won't hear a bad word against him :p


Because the Australian team are arrogant pricks :shrug: I've supported them since 1997... and most of my family is English and I've got dual citizenship so it's allowed ;)
:lol: the guy reminds me so much of Henman, and Henman ain't cool... neither is Vaughan.

Freddy is the coolest guy on the team.

PS. do you have a pommy accent? they're sexy... :p
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
its.like.that said:
:lol: the guy reminds me so much of Henman, and Henman ain't cool... neither is Vaughan.

Freddy is the coolest guy on the team.

PS. do you have a pommy accent? they're sexy... :p
Harmison and Simon Jones are cool and Vaughan is alright, he is much better than Saddam.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GeorgeWHitler said:
Harmison and Simon Jones are cool and Vaughan is alright, he is much better than Saddam.
didn't you see the way he was carrying on when England was chasing something like 100 in the 2nd test?

classless to say the least, jumping around like a 5 year old kid, and then that stupid smile on his face.
 

·
Same as it ever was
Joined
·
20,587 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
Harmison and Simon Jones are cool and Vaughan is alright, he is much better than Saddam.
Harmison is definitely cool :hearts: :p I love them all, but none as much as Vaughan and Harmi.

The thought of comparing Vaughan to Henman is scaring me!!! Vaughan has a personality and doesn't have massive teeth!!
He is also a brilliant captain and the team loves to play for him which is part of their success. I think that makes him VERY cool!
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
its.like.that said:
didn't you see the way he was carrying on when England was chasing something like 100 in the 2nd test?

classless to say the least, jumping around like a 5 year old kid, and then that stupid smile on his face.
Well did he rubbish the Aussies? If you have a problem then it should be with Duncan Fletcher not Vaughan.

It's not like England were actually expected to win and someone like yourself should be familar with the English press if they lost that unloseable match.

Yes, Steve Waugh there was a classy guy, best 2 things about him are that he supports Canterbury and he is a soccer fan.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Peta Pan said:
Harmison is definitely cool :hearts: :p I love them all, but none as much as Vaughan and Harmi.

The thought of comparing Vaughan to Henman is scaring me!!! Vaughan has a personality and doesn't have massive teeth!!
He is also a brilliant captain and the team loves to play for him which is part of their success. I think that makes him VERY cool!
:scratch:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top