Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
So fucking proud of him, the backdhand everything was working from the second set on. Fought back again and showed some mental toughness, Keep going Alex you are the biggest hope in german Tennis, hope you can make it! :worship:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I saw the first set and Mathieu looked like he was really bossing Zverev around, though he does had a tendency to self destruct and with a player who has the right attitude up against him then it's not a huge surprise that there was a turnaround.

Good for the game to see Zverev taking a title, hopefully he can build on this and enjoy the rest of the clay season.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was impressed. I thought PHM would regroup in the 3rd set and he did, but Zverev stayed tough. PHM broke his raquet at 1-3, then at 3-3 he had 40-15 but was broken. PHM then had a break pt at 4-3 but couldn't convert so I'd say Zverev played the big pts. better in the 3rd set showing great mental toughness for someone so young. If Zverev can develop a net game he will be a pretty complete player based on what I saw.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I saw the first set and Mathieu looked like he was really bossing Zverev around, though he does had a tendency to self destruct and with a player who has the right attitude up against him then it's not a huge surprise that there was a turnaround.

Good for the game to see Zverev taking a title, hopefully he can build on this and enjoy the rest of the clay season.
Actually it was Zverev then who bossed around Mathieu. Mathieu made the mistake to Play most of the time to Sascha backhand which is probrably his best weapon!

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should like this more:
Jeff Sackmann ‏@tennisabstract 2m
The only players to have won Challengers at a younger age than Zverev are Tomic, Gasquet, Nadal, Djokovic, and Delpo.
That's really encouraging, as is this:

He beat three Top 100 players this week too. :woohoo:
(also Kamke/Golubev)

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Great unexpected week. :yeah:

His next opponent in Stuttgart is Goatsol, interesting match as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Actually it was Zverev then who bossed around Mathieu. Mathieu made the mistake to Play most of the time to Sascha backhand which is probrably his best weapon!
I said in the first set, you can't claim that Zverev bossed a set in which he lost 6-1.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Alex :bounce: :banana: :yeah:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts