Mens Tennis Forums banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I had Klitschko a couple points ahead before the 11th. I think Joshua's corner thought Wlad was ahead too, though the judges had Joshua winning a split decision before the 11th. He might not have needed the knockout, but he got it anyway. His inexperience halfway through round 5 + the next few rounds could have been costly though, that's something to work on.

Honestly thought Klitschko just wanted one last payday before retirement, but he came back a lot stronger than expected after that 5th round knockdown. Without his usual height + reach advantage, he can't hide his chin behind that jab, not from Joshua's power, especially at 41. Think Foreman is the only 40+ year old heavyweight world champion, just shows how difficult it is to stay competitive at that age.

Can't remember the last time I saw an exciting heavyweight title fight. :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
It was a great fight, back and forth, I thought Klitschko was done after the first knockdown but he fought back brilliantly. I hope there's a rematch, Klitschko's got enough left that he'd have a good shot.

·
The special one
13,951 Posts
It was a great fight, back and forth, I thought Klitschko was done after the first knockdown but he fought back brilliantly. I hope there's a rematch, Klitschko's got enough left that he'd have a good shot.
Nah, I think he should retire now. He's 41 now and TBH i would rather see AJ/Wilder or AJ/Fury anyway.

It was a great fight though, but I doubt there'll be a rematch.

·
Super Moderator
62,002 Posts
Can't wait for this fight now. The build up has been great. Hope Conor manages to pull it off. Head says Mayweather inside 6 rounds though.
Why were you interested? I never understood the attraction. It seemed to me not unlike arranging a tennis match between a big four tennis player and the world's best squash player. I wouldn't expect that to be interesting.

·
The special one
13,951 Posts
Why were you interested? I never understood the attraction. It seemed to me not unlike arranging a tennis match between a big four tennis player and the world's best squash player. I wouldn't expect that to be interesting.
I've always wanted to know how Conor would do if he fought Mayweather, or even got into boxing. They're 2 of the biggest characters in fighting. I think it was a fight that most people wanted to see and the PPV buys back that up. I'm not sure if it broke the Mayweather/Pacman record. If not then it was a close 2nd.

I also wouldn't make that comparison you're making. Boxing is a skill used in the UFC. There was always a good chance he would make it competitive against Mayweather, even though he was huge underdog. He even won a few rounds at the start. I doubt the best squash player in the world would take a big 4 player to 4 or 5 sets. We'd probably be looking at a triple bagel if that happened.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
I can't believe people paid money for this boring trash.

McGregor absolutely sucks and the match was NID from the get-go. Can't even beat a 40 year old.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Wilder-Fury II anyone?

·
The special one
13,951 Posts
Wilder-Fury II anyone?
It's a tough one to call. Wilder has that one punch power that can knock Fury out at any time. That said If it goes to 12 rounds Fury wins, unless the judges are either bribed or blind (like in the first fight which Fury clearly won)

I'll go with Fury by UD

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
It's a tough one to call. Wilder has that one punch power that can knock Fury out at any time. That said If it goes to 12 rounds Fury wins, unless the judges are either bribed or blind (like in the first fight which Fury clearly won)

I'll go with Fury by UD
Yeah, pretty much this. Hoping for Fury, but chances are equally as high for Wilder to knock him out, you basically have to stay perfect for 12 rounds against him. Fury has shown that he's capable of doing that, his defense is just insane, but on the other hand Wilder has also shown that he can knock Fury out (don't think he can miraculously get up from a knockdown like the one in that 12th round). Makes the rematch quite fascinating.

IMO both would beat Joshua fairly handily though, really hoping for a unification fight after Saturday (but can see Joshua ducking these two unfortunately).

·
The special one
13,951 Posts
Yeah, pretty much this. Hoping for Fury, but chances are equally as high for Wilder to knock him out, you basically have to stay perfect for 12 rounds against him. Fury has shown that he's capable of doing that, his defense is just insane, but on the other hand Wilder has also shown that he can knock Fury out (don't think he can miraculously get up from a knockdown like the one in that 12th round). Makes the rematch quite fascinating.

IMO both would beat Joshua fairly handily though, really hoping for a unification fight after Saturday (but can see Joshua ducking these two unfortunately).
Should be a good fight anyway. I think it's either going to be Fury UD or Wilder KO but leaning more towards Fury. Odds have the fight at pretty even.

Yeah I agree, I think AJ would be an underdog against both. Both AJ and Wilder are power punchers and don't have the best defence. AJ probably has a weaker chin as well so AJ would have to KO him first because he wouldn't last 12 rounds without being KOd himself. Wilder would be fave but either way the fight ends before round 8 imo. As for Fury I just think Fury would outbox AJ.

I think whoever wins this fight is the best HW but I guess an argument can be made about AJ as well as he holds 3 out of the 4 titles so from that perspective it's hard to argue him being no1, I guess like in tennis or golf if a player holds 3/4 slams or majors it would be hard to argue him not being the best, plus AJ has a better resume in terms of the quality of opponents he's beaten. Wilder has beaten Ortiz, Fury has beaten Klit, while AJ has wins over Klit, Povetkin, Parker, Takam, Whyte and Ruiz so I would take AJs resume over the other 2 even though I think Wilder and Fury would likely beat AJ.

I doubt a AJ/Wilder fight would ever happen. I agree I think AJ is ducking him a little. The issue is that AJ would be the A side and would get much more money because he's a bigger draw and Wilder would accept nothing less that a 50% split, I saw hearn in an interview saying that Wilder would only get 30% so negotiations would break down. If Fury wins I can see an AJ/Fury fight happening, again AJ would be the A side and calling the shots, although unlike Wilder i don't think Fury would care about getting a 30% split.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Should be a good fight anyway. I think it's either going to be Fury UD or Wilder KO but leaning more towards Fury. Odds have the fight at pretty even.

Yeah I agree, I think AJ would be an underdog against both. Both AJ and Wilder are power punchers and don't have the best defence. AJ probably has a weaker chin as well so AJ would have to KO him first because he wouldn't last 12 rounds without being KOd himself. Wilder would be fave but either way the fight ends before round 8 imo. As for Fury I just think Fury would outbox AJ.

I think whoever wins this fight is the best HW but I guess an argument can be made about AJ as well as he holds 3 out of the 4 titles so from that perspective it's hard to argue him being no1, I guess like in tennis or golf if a player holds 3/4 slams or majors it would be hard to argue him not being the best, plus AJ has a better resume in terms of the quality of opponents he's beaten. Wilder has beaten Ortiz, Fury has beaten Klit, while AJ has wins over Klit, Povetkin, Parker, Takam, Whyte and Ruiz so I would take AJs resume over the other 2 even though I think Wilder and Fury would likely beat AJ.

I doubt a AJ/Wilder fight would ever happen. I agree I think AJ is ducking him a little. The issue is that AJ would be the A side and would get much more money because he's a bigger draw and Wilder would accept nothing less that a 50% split, I saw hearn in an interview saying that Wilder would only get 30% so negotiations would break down. If Fury wins I can see an AJ/Fury fight happening, again AJ would be the A side and calling the shots, although unlike Wilder i don't think Fury would care about getting a 30% split.
Indeed, it's just impossible that AJ and Wilder goes the distance. :D Even despite his good wins, Joshua got caught in most of his fights, his defense is just really questionable. Definitely agree that Wilder has the stronger chin of the two, but I'd also say Wilder is faster and better at landing his shots. What AJ is probably better at, is boxing orthodox and using his height to an advantage while Wilder basically goes for the knockout all the time and focuses on his main strength. Thought AJ fought like a poor mans Klitschko against Ruiz in December (also big ring and lots of grabbing haha). That's also why I believe Fury would annihilate him, his fight against Klitschko was already incredibly one-sided and Klitschko definitely was a technically better boxer than AJ (not to mention Ruiz was an utter joke in that fight).

Just watched the weight-in, both gained weight. Don't think this will be an issue for Wilder at all, guy still has an incredibly low body fat content, but Fury didn't even take his shirt off. Said he was going for an early knockout anyway and was training at that weight for months now, but who knows with Fury. :D Also love the bad-mouthing between them (Furys "You big dosser" suite was one of the funniest thing I've seen recently haha) and how they always almost start laughing. Think they actually like and respect each other off the ring thought (basically the opposite to tennis where some players seriously dislike each other but still try to always speak positively about the other one).

As for Hearn and the Joshua camp, it's a bit ridiculous that he doesn't accept an even split, particularly after the Ruiz loss. Obviously Wilder and maybe Fury as well don't accept this, as it basically means admitting to be a lesser boxer. Anyway, already subscribed to DAZN (my 4th free month now^^), can't wait for tonight.

401 - 420 of 428 Posts