Mens Tennis Forums banner

381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Yes (justified) and no to your respective questions. But I'll edit this post and answer more extensively in an hour or so.

Edit:

Joshua is a decent boxer and a very good puncher. Few people will be able to stand toe to toe and trade blows - but you only have to get caught once to lose and therefore you still have to be careful. I think his movement in defence could be better, and he's not lightning quick of either foot or hand, however his combinations are pretty sharp. For a while against White he looked a bit one-dimensional, but it was uncharted territory in his pro career. That's not an irreversible flaw, it's about preparation and experience.
Yeah, at the very least, Joshua fights are unlikely to disappoint. I thought he looked a bit rigid at times and I was not overly impressed with his jab, but his power is undeniable.

I do wonder if Joshua's progress will be slowed down in the next twelve months due to what happened on Saturday. He is still raw and I don't think he is ready for the best - or a returning David Haye.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Yeah, at the very least, Joshua fights are unlikely to disappoint. I thought he looked a bit rigid at times and I was not overly impressed with his jab, but his power is undeniable.

I do wonder if Joshua's progress will be slowed down in the next twelve months due to what happened on Saturday. He is still raw and I don't think he is ready for the best - or a returning David Haye.
He got too complacent in the second round. After the first round he basically thought he already had him, which allowed to come in with a surprise attack which totally caught AJ of guard.

I agree with the jab part, he wasn't really using it much, but whenever he got a chance to launch the killer blows he took them.

He needs to have more long fights, maybe even a couple of 12 rounders before he's ready to take on Fury and co.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
He got too complacent in the second round. After the first round he basically thought he already had him, which allowed to come in with a surprise attack which totally caught AJ of guard.

I agree with the jab part, he wasn't really using it much, but whenever he got a chance to launch the killer blows he took them.

He needs to have more long fights, maybe even a couple of 12 rounders before he's ready to take on Fury and co.
Agreed.

It would appear that Chisora is the next opponent lined up for April. I wonder if it will be PPV again...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Agreed.

It would appear that Chisora is the next opponent lined up for April. I wonder if it will be PPV again...
100% will be.

That's a good fight for him IMO. Chisora can go 12 rounds with him but is past his best, so AJ should be tested but I'd back him to come through.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
@Tiebreak100 White claiming he was 'injured'. Apparently his shoulder went after the left hook in round 2 :spit:
There was a rumour before the fight that Whyte had hurt his shoulder and was going to pull out. I think Joshua even asked him about it in the presser beforehand but Dillian denied it.

Excuses after the event are never good though.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
so Khan got knocked into another galaxy by Alvarez the other night. Now everyone wants to see Alvarez vs Golovkin

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
devastating ko. he caught him flush on the jaw, lights out. nice payday for khan, but it was a heavy price to pay.

381 - 400 of 428 Posts