Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,859 Posts
I will mark your sentence when it actually happens.
No teenager has won an ATP title since Nishikori in 2008. There are still some tricky opponents who are monsters on clay such as Monfils, Kohlschreiber and Fognini But happy to be proven wrong if he does defy the odds.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No teenager has won an ATP title since Nishikori in 2008. There are still some tricky opponents who are monsters on clay such as Monfils, Kohlschreiber and Fognini But happy to be proven wrong if he does defy the odds.
I see your sensible valid point, but this year Borna CORvetteIC is awesome on clay

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Probably your best thread of the day!

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I am not saying he will lose for sure today but Bedene should be a tough opponent for him.
Anyway, rooting for La Monf.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not saying he will lose for sure today but Bedene should be a tough opponent for him.
Anyway, rooting for La Monf.

6-2, 6-1 COMPLETE BEATDOWN IS EXPECTED.. did you see the match vs Gran? that power, consistency.. THE LOOK..

Will you revist this thread after the beatdown? please..

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
I won't bet my house on that but it doesn't look to bold to be fair, Bedene-RBA-Fognini-Monfils specially if we have the "clown" versions of the last two, he could make it would be great to see a teenager winning a title after so long...

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Nice was his tournament to take this year. I expect him to play very well in Umag since he played really good here last year going to QF, but the competition seems a bit too tough for him to win it. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Del Potro won 4 titles in a row as a 19 year old in 2008. Cilic also won New heaven.

I think the next teenage champion will come soon. I'm confident Coric will win his first tittle before he turns 20 for sure. Zverev as well can surprise when playing his best and it's still a long time before he turns 20. Maybe even Kokkinakis could win his first title as a teenager. Coric looked fantastic against Granollers with the conditions suiting him and playing more attacking tennis which is a good sign.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,859 Posts
Del Potro won 4 titles in a row as a 19 year old in 2008. Cilic also won New heaven.

I think the next teenage champion will come soon. I'm confident Coric will win his first tittle before he turns 20 for sure. Zverev as well can surprise when playing his best and it's still a long time before he turns 20. Maybe even Kokkinakis could win his first title as a teenager. Coric looked fantastic against Granollers with the conditions suiting him and playing more attacking tennis which is a good sign.
Well that year anyway, 2008. I forgot about Cilic as well. I think I meant the youngest teenager to win a title...before that was Hewitt at 16. To be honest Borna's clay results haven't been spectacular but people can improve quite rapidly at times. I don't expect a breakthrough run. Last year he faced Fognini who was actually playing pretty badly, but scraped through. This time, I expect Coric to have more experience playing at this level and Fognini to lift his game as well. We'll see (if that matchup happens)

·
Registered
285 Posts
He lost against fognini at 17 y o...nothing surprising...find it funny to talk about break through about a kid who might Be the first 18 y o seeded at a slam since a decade

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
He lost against fognini at 17 y o...nothing surprising...find it funny to talk about break through about a kid who might Be the first 18 y o seeded at a slam since a decade
MWW's nationality impacts his opinion of Coric, even though his demeanor towards Coric is improving. :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
This is Borna's best remaining chance to win a PRO tournament at the age of 18. Let's if he can do it. Here in Umag we all want to see the Borna-Gael final. :cool:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yes he has chance to make a bang at Umag but ..... I think that he is not yet comfortable mentally to perform good at home soil ... me thinks that he feels extra pressure that he can't handle ...
I mean he had excellent tournaments and surprise wins at Basel and Dubai, while in Zagreb on similar surface he lost in first round :shrug:

Borna will probably win his first tournament on foreign soil when least expected could be even 500, for instance Vienna

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
yes he has chance to make a bang at Umag but ..... I think that he is not yet comfortable mentally to perform good at home soil ... me thinks that he feels extra pressure that he can't handle ...
I mean he had excellent tournaments and surprise wins at Basel and Dubai, while in Zagreb on similar surface he lost in first round :shrug:

Borna will probably win his first tournament on foreign soil when least expected could be even 500, for instance Vienna
I was on the match against Marcel, and it looked Borna really enjoyed playing in front a friendly crowd. Hopefully I'm not wrong. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts