Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just logged into one of my poker accounts and saw this piece of news in the software lobby - had no idea he even played poker. Here are the full details from the site blog:

Advantage poker: Boris Becker joins PokerStars team
BRAD WILLIS
26 November 2007

After all his time on the court, you might think Boris Becker would have had enough aces to satisfy him for life. It appears that is not the case. PokerStars announced today that the winner of six grand slam tennis events has joined its stable of players.

Becker is known worldwide as a champion on the tennis court. Now, after years of playing poker recreationally, he is setting out to get as good on the poker felt as he was on the court.

“When I was still playing professional tennis, I started learning to play poker casually in-between games because it helped me to improve my concentration,” Becker said. “Now I want to develop my poker skills and challenge myself to become really competitive at the highest levels in poker.”

Though it would take a true student of tennis to understand the similarities in the game, Becker has already noted the strategy, psychology, and decision-making under pressure that is required of both endeavors. He has already embarked on a poker training program that will tap his champion's drive. He already has his eye on some of the biggest poker tournaments in the world.

Becker says we can expect to see him first on the European Poker Tour. He's planning to play at EPT Dortmund in his native Germany and the EPT Grand Final in Monte Carlo next Spring. The PokerStars blog will have all the news from Becker’s experience on the felt as it happens, plus information on future events he will be taking part in, so keep checking back here for updates.

Congratulations to Boris Becker and PokerStars on a relationship that was almost certainly...love at first sight.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Re: Boris Becker Joins Top Onine Poker Room

Nice...

Kafelnikov should join too.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts

:yeah: After Kafel, Benyamine, Hansen and Antonius, it seems a lot of tennis players love to play poker :cool:

Nice deal Boris, PS is a nice poker room :)

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Hopefully he'll work his way out of the online poker rooms and onto the TV screens. We've got about 569578 channels in the UK covering Live Poker at almost any given time.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Seems like somebody is a little bored... I hope he does well, but still. Poker requires brain, talent, hard work and dedication. I don't think it's something you can just pick up and set your goal to the biggest games.

·
Registered
26,176 Posts
I think brain is the biggest problem for him. Compared to the average poker player, Becker is probably rather unintelligent.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
I have a question for the poker experts here: Does pokerstars provide financing for Becker when he plays for them, using him to attract new customers or does Boris have to finance himself?

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
B. Becker joining in on the game is in fact very good news for all the other players. Wow man, he's got CASH. So, a lot for him to lose.

What's going on with him lately, dumping his GF on his 40th birthday and then joining in at the Poker table?
Penopause? :devil:

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
I have a question for the poker experts here: Does pokerstars provide financing for Becker when he plays for them, using him to attract new customers or does Boris have to finance himself?
It depends on the deal they made actually. Normally, when one is sponsored by an online poker room that means the site pays a number of tourney buy-ins (WPT, EPT, WSOP, etc...), The only thing the guy has to do is wear their clothes during the events... I wish I could have such deals too :mad: :eek:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Not sure if Becker has money. Didn't he lose everything through bad investments in the past? He may need the poker money.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think brain is the biggest problem for him. Compared to the average poker player, Becker is probably rather unintelligent.
I would argue the exact opposite - I highly doubt Becker will have much problem against typical players, even based on the little I know about him. Playing with top pros in high level tournaments like the EPT is another matter entirely but I suspect he could hold his own against them. Poker doesn't exactly require a PhD any way - people from various cultural, educational, vocational etc. backgrounds can and do succeed at the game.

Not sure if Becker has money. Didn't he lose everything through bad investments in the past? He may need the poker money.
Could be wrong but wasn't that Bjorn Borg? :scratch:

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Haha, I just saw a Pokerstars ad here in Germany and guess who was the star. :p

He's probably been given about a million free chips or something.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Pokerstars is the largest and biggest online poker room. They certainly pay Boris quite a lot. I wonder whether he's really gonna gamble those bucks at the tables... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

:yeah: After Kafel, Benyamine, Hansen and Antonius, it seems a lot of tennis players love to play poker :cool:

Nice deal Boris, PS is a nice poker room :)
did patrik ever played an itf ?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, I just saw a Pokerstars ad here in Germany and guess who was the star. :p
Maybe it was the one posted here along with a 'making of' clip? PokerStars is obviously banking on Becker's popularity, even this long after his retirement from the ATP, to draw more customers... Not like the site is currently hurting for business, especially being one of the few still open to US players, but PS really seems to be stepping up its international marketing campaign (incorporating a strong sports theme) of late.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
He certainly doesn't need the poker money. He owns the tennis division of Völkl, 3 Mercedes companies, he has TV shows, tons of ads in Germany... He is rich.

As for this poker thing, it just looks like another of his 56425 promotion jobs. It doesn't mean he really has a clue of poker, he will do anything for money and attention... He also just published in November a book about how to raise children. ^^

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
Pokerstars is already huge in Germany... I can't find a mid stakes ring game table without 3 or 4 Germans on it...

did patrik ever played an itf ?
Not that I know :shrug: I think he had a bad injury which forced him to retire before his career really launched...

I heard that he planned to play a tennis match vs Gus Hansen in Vegas for quite a big side bet... Don't know if it already occured...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts