Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it´s just exhibtion but fact is Gulbis has H2H with Milos 0-4 and i think Milos is tough match-up for him, he always gets outserved, now this being grass fastest surface and Gulbis wins this - this is just another proove Milos sucks on grass i mean Gulbis is no grass courter he himself is weakest on grass from all surfaces and beats guy who is tough match-up for him

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
What shocked me most about this match was the fact that Gulbis played "serve & volley" on like 90% of his service points - I had never seen him do that before. I don't know if that was just this once or is he planning to use "S&V" in Wimbledon. It would kind of make sense given his problems in longer rallies on grass because of his long set-up for shots, but it could also really end up being a total disaster.

The ending of that match was brilliant :spit:

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
Milos draw at Wimbledon needs to be

R1: Estrella
R2: Zopp/Gonzalez
R3: Granolles
R4: Isner

Then maybe just maybe he might make QF if all 4 of his opponents retire/withdraw.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Much better and far more talented player won.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm Canadian, but I'm surprised Milos has managed to stick in the top ten this long. Can't see it lasting even though he's much improved in the last year with his consistency, forehand and volley game.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Gulbis is good for one upset on grass.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
This result makes the match look closer than it actually was - Gulbis had like 5 or 6 BPs (including couple of SPs) in 1st set and he served for the set at 5:4 in the second (and broke himself to 0).

Raonic really looks awful on grass - his movement is just incredibly bad - can't see him doing anything in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know it´s just exhibtion but fact is Gulbis has H2H with Milos 0-4 and i think Milos is tough match-up for him, he always gets outserved, now this being grass fastest surface and Gulbis wins this - this is just another proove Milos sucks on grass i mean Gulbis is no grass courter he himself is weakest on grass from all surfaces and beats guy who is tough match-up for him

I think its the exact opposite. Gulbis' strongest surface is grass IMO. his forehand has improved over the months. if you look at his forehand in this match, he executed some very quick, efficient forehands. and his movement is good on grass, unlike raonic. and he returns well too, which is important for grass. and his volleys are above average for today's standards.

And precisely because the rallies are shorter on grass, that works out well for Gulbis, because his forehand breaks down in long rallies

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just an exho, but really surprised to see so much S&V from Gulbis today - he executed really well, never seen him play like that. Even considering it's not hard to look good on grass when Raonic is your opponent, it actually seemed very natural to him and quite fun to watch (Englishwomen in audience certainly enjoyed it :lol:). Let's see if he keeps it up next week. Why not?

·
28,451 Posts
This result makes the match look closer than it actually was - Gulbis had like 5 or 6 BPs (including couple of SPs) in 1st set and he served for the set at 5:4 in the second (and broke himself to 0).

Raonic really looks awful on grass - his movement is just incredibly bad - can't see him doing anything in Wimbledon.
Bud, its an exhibition match. :lol:

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Gulbis finally beats Milos, it just took a match with zero meaning or intensity to do so.

Even though he wasn't trying all that hard, Milos actually looked a bit better than he did in Halle. Needs more practice this week, but maybe he'll be able to win a few matches at Wimbledon after all.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
nid result on grass
ernie =D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts