Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time for me to do one of those. Zverev has achieved the most at the youngest age, but he will end up the candle that burns out the fastest. Actually, I just don't think his game is anything to praise. Good baseliner but not too high speed, weak netplay, no plan B, average mentality, problems dealing with BO5 matches (physical?). He will get exposed by all the other NG when the oldtimers are gone and they're all playing together. He's not doing too good against them even now.

Chung 2-1
Coric 3-1
Kyrgios 4-3 (but when Nick is playing well, Alex is completely helpless)
Tsitsipas 1-1
Shapovalov 0-2 but he's still a teenager, and Zverev is bound to have his good matchups.

Overall, though, I think he will be on the losing side VS the other NG most of the time, and will trail them in slams and other metrics. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I also think that he just peaked earlier than other nextgeners, but i alsi think that they are not more talented than him. They will be pretty equal imo, maybe Felix will surpass them all but i doubt that any of them will dominate the tour.

Of course, talent is important, but not most important. They were players talented as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic that didnt achieve much

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Chung is already irrelevant
Coric is in a Deep Crisis
Kyrgios isn’t consistent enough and moved from 18 to 71 in just a year.
Shapovalov hasn’t even won a title yet and isn’t playing his best tennis either.

Zverev is no three in the World, a 3-times masters and yec champion. Those numbers are really too small to draw a coclusion yet.

Only tsitsipas may eventually become better than him, but it’s still a long way and continuing the development at that pace is nothing taken for granted. I’d really be careful with such predictions

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Time for me to do one of those. Zverev has achieved the most at the youngest age, but he will end up the candle that burns out the fastest. Actually, I just don't think his game is anything to praise. Good baseliner but not too high speed, weak netplay, no plan B, average mentality, problems dealing with BO5 matches (physical?). He will get exposed by all the other NG when the oldtimers are gone and they're all playing together. He's not doing too good against them even now.

Chung 2-1
Coric 3-1
Kyrgios 4-3 (but when Nick is playing well, Alex is completely helpless)
Tsitsipas 1-1
Shapovalov 0-2 but he's still a teenager, and Zverev is bound to have his good matchups.

Overall, though, I think he will be on the losing side VS the other NG most of the time, and will trail them in slams and other metrics. What do you think?
So you have AZ as the bottom of the barrel among NG? Yep, bold prediction indeed, and my comment can be bumped in 10 years down the line if this indeed ends up being the case, but I don't see it. I think he can develop on many fronts (FH, net play, variety on serve e.g.) and has so far in his career shown good ability to develop, an early bloomer after all. And a decent mover for a guy his size. Saga continues.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Cicipas could surpass Zverev soon, he has better serve+fh combo, and better mentallity. Also, he is younger and not overly tall like Zverev

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you have AZ as the bottom of the barrel among NG? Yep, bold prediction indeed, and my comment can be bumped in 10 years down the line if this indeed ends up being the case, but I don't see it. I think he can develop on many fronts (FH, net play, variety on serve e.g.) and has so far in his career shown good ability to develop, an early bloomer after all. And a decent mover for a guy his size. Saga continues.
Chung is already irrelevant
Coric is in a Deep Crisis
Kyrgios isn’t consistent enough and moved from 18 to 71 in just a year.
Shapovalov hasn’t even won a title yet and isn’t playing his best tennis either.

Zverev is no three in the World, a 3-times masters and yec champion. Those numbers are really too small to draw a coclusion yet.

Only tsitsipas may eventually become better than him, but it’s still a long way and continuing the development at that pace is nothing taken for granted. I’d really be careful with such predictions
Hey, I said it's a bold fucking prediction :p But I really do believe in it.

·
justice for all
13,103 Posts
Yeah, this is actually a bold prediction.

I think Zverev might end up 4th of his era after Shapovalov, Tsitsipas and FAA but others? I don't think so. Maybe De Minaur but he's a question mark at the moment. The others just suck or don't have enough potential to become really great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
He also his many positive records against succesful so called Nextgeneration players:

vs. Medvedev: 4:0
vs. De Minaur: 4:0
vs. Rublev: 2:0
vs. Khachanov: 2:1
vs. Shapovalov: 2:0
vs. Tiafoe: 3:1
vs. Fritz: 2:0

So his records against player of his age ist not really a good argument against him..

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Bold as it gets , unless injury strikes there is no telling he'll be the weakest. He will get surpassed though by some of them: Tsitsipas and a couple more. His resuls at slams are the telling , they are not to be taken lightly: fitness and mentality, into question among other things. But the weakest ? no, definitely. He's really good at what he does, in Bo3. Though a possibility of stagnation is not out of a reality, possible already hitting a ceiling sooner than later but that's also guessing, you never know with tall baseliner

·
Administrator
6,070 Posts
He has already won a WTF and 3 Masters titles, that's already a huge haul that these players will have a hard time catching up on. Obviously winning a grand slam is a shortcut for one of these players to be considered arguably greater than Zverev already, but if Zverev ever wins even a single GS he will have a pretty well rounded resume that'd be hard for anyone other than a multi-slam winner to top.

Maybe Zverev won't have a dominant head to head against all these other young players. But Chung and Coric aren't really the main obstacles to winning slams these days. There are still plenty of veterans on the tour to contend with and the day where suddenly the tour is only made up of those players currently under 25 isn't coming any time soon - many players are playing well into their 30s. So I don't think you can fall back on "Sure he's more successful right now, but imagine a tour of only Next Gen players and they'd beat him even though they have worse results on the current tour".

If multiple of these guys go on to be multi-slam champions and their greatness is measured by "8 slams vs. 6 slams vs. 4 slams", then sure, I don't think Zverev's better results right now mean that he will necessarily end up with so many more slams than another player who later becomes a dominant champipn. But the fact that these guys will all win so much that we'll be judging them by the same metrics we judge players like the Big 3 isn't a given. The youngest slam winner is over 30. The youngest multi-slam winner won his first slam in 2008. I'll believe someone is going to be the next multi-slam winner when I see it.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He also his many positive records against succesful so called Nextgeneration players:

vs. Medvedev: 4:0
vs. De Minaur: 4:0
vs. Rublev: 2:0
vs. Khachanov: 2:1
vs. Shapovalov: 2:0
vs. Tiafoe: 3:1
vs. Fritz: 2:0

So his records against player of his age ist not really a good argument against him..
Right, I didn't list all of them. 4-0 vs Medvedev is impressive but De Minaur, Rublev, Tiafoe and Fritz are barely established players. I believe most of them will turn it around, and still trust in my prediction.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Sounds like all those saying 23 y.o. Lendl was a looser after 4 GS Finals lost before 1984 and then embarrassed with 8 GS and 5 more finals.

Your bold prediction is very risky….

IMO with 1 WTF and 3 MS, he has already achieved at 22 more than what 95%* of the guys you mentionned will have achieved when calling it a career.

* only Kyrgios has some talent 4 others are just overhyped mugs (what is blatant now in Coric and Chung case, not yet with Tsitsipas and Shapovalov because they are still young and their fans can always desesperately believe the ATP loud hype).

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He has already won a WTF and 3 Masters titles, that's already a huge haul that these players will have a hard time catching up on. Obviously winning a grand slam is a shortcut for one of these players to be considered arguably greater than Zverev already, but if Zverev ever wins even a single GS he will have a pretty well rounded resume that'd be hard for anyone other than a multi-slam winner to top.

Maybe Zverev won't have a dominant head to head against all these other young players. But Chung and Coric aren't really the main obstacles to winning slams these days. There are still plenty of veterans on the tour to contend with and the day where suddenly the tour is only made up of those players currently under 25 isn't coming any time soon - many players are playing well into their 30s. So I don't think you can fall back on "Sure he's more successful right now, but imagine a tour of only Next Gen players and they'd beat him even though they have worse results on the current tour".

If multiple of these guys go on to be multi-slam champions and their greatness is measured by "8 slams vs. 6 slams vs. 4 slams", then sure, I don't think Zverev's better results right now mean that he will necessarily end up with so many more slams than another player who later becomes a dominant champipn. But the fact that these guys will all win so much that we'll be judging them by the same metrics we judge players like the Big 3 isn't a given. The youngest slam winner is over 30. The youngest multi-slam winner won his first slam in 2008. I'll believe someone is going to be the next multi-slam winner when I see it.
Good post. I don't believe the whole NG is breaking through in slams soon at all. That's why I think the veterans might hold Zverev off for a few more years, and then the other NG will establish themselves and have better results than Alex from that point on. He is lucky to have peaked so early, but will not be the next prodigy like Nadal was. Though hey, it's a bold prediction in the end, and might be completely off. But I stick by it.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Even a 21-year old who is still working on his weaknesses Zverev is already 3 in the world.

If he irons out those,he would be hard to stop. Coric and Kyrgios are tough matchups for sure but he's still not losing all matches against and they aren't super consistent like him anyway.

Chung and Tstsipas h2h are irrelevant especially the latter who got incredibly lucky in their Canada encounter

·
Registered
21,270 Posts
Right, I didn't list all of them. 4-0 vs Medvedev is impressive but De Minaur, Rublev, Tiafoe and Fritz are barely established players. I believe most of them will turn it around, and still trust in my prediction.
Yet you mentioned Chung who is pretty much irrelevant now and then Kyrgios who will peak just once a year and flops in the bigger events as per. Easy to cherry pick stats

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chung is my favorite player of the group, and if you honestly think he will peak higher than Zverev, I'm not sure what frame of mind you are in.
Yes, I believe he in fact has already peaked higher when he beat Djokovic. At least I've never seen a performance that good from Alex.

Yet you mentioned Chung who is pretty much irrelevant now and then Kyrgios who will peak just once a year and flops in the bigger events as per. Easy to cherry pick stats
Just picked players I thought are already established - not the ones who started having results a few months ago. And Chung will become relevant again when he takes care of his injuries.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
For sure he may be surpassed most likely by Tsitsipas(He might do it this year) and maybe Shapo if he ever truly develops into a complete player, but not seeing it for the others. Kyrgios is still a clown even if he did have a great week in Mexico. Federer has a losing H2H against both Djokovic and Nadal and people still consider him greater. Most of Sacha's poor H2Hs are still only seperated by a match or two so that can always be brought back even or positive over time.

Oh and I forgot, FAA w/o heart issues can probably surpass him too, but that's still a big question mark that will take 2 or 3 years to find out.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts