Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so this is my feeling anyway, I think there is too much hype around him, competition will figure him out a lot more than this season and we can't even predict how his mental state will be...

Don't mention he attend so much tournaments last year and get so many points that it will be really tough for him once August 2020 will start.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Medvedev peaked too early in his career. His actual level was shown in the ATP finals. He would be 11-20 for the majority of his career. A journeyman at best. He doesn't have any weapons , except his serve, the rest of his game has no technique, his unorthodox style will not fetch him consistent results. He's a pusher like Giles Simon with a better serve. He already reached his peak level this year at no 4. Now he'll be a journeyman in the top 20. He will have a better career than Giles Simon.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah he looks like the hedonistic type to delve balls deep into coke and whores in the off-season with that carefree attitude and rakish haircut.

If he fails it’ll be because he stopped doing what he’s doing now. I think he’ll be top 7.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I strongly disagree with both of you. A journeyman at best? Nice joke, mate.
A journeyman was a bit of a stretch. I meant he already reached his peak level this year. He can still be ranked between 11-20, idk if that would be considered journeyman or not. He can have the odd good results if he's able to play close to the Washington-Shanghai level. But I don't think he's gonna pull that of consistently in the future.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The field in 2020 is very strong. Plus Medvedev's favorite surface is outdoor hard court, which is traditionally very competitive. So I cannot commend too much on OP's boldness.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
as an aside from the whole 'Medvedev fan/not a fan' debate......... it strikes me that top 20 (and with time ranked as high as 5) is being a 'journeyman' is quite a high standard for what it is to be a journeyman.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
He’s limited compared to say Tsitsipas but he will still have a solid top 10 or without a doubt at least top 15/20 career barring injuries.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That was quick. Just a short while ago MTF was saying he was going to duplicate the career of the big three. People were saying he would win twenty slams. Of course I argued against it. Having said that I don't see him falling outside the top ten, at least not next year.

But holy heck, folks jumped off his band wagon in what seems like record time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Medvedev peaked too early in his career. His actual level was shown in the ATP finals. He would be 11-20 for the majority of his career. A journeyman at best. He doesn't have any weapons , except his serve, the rest of his game has no technique, his unorthodox style will not fetch him consistent results. He's a pusher like Giles Simon with a better serve. He already reached his peak level this year at no 4. Now he'll be a journeyman in the top 20. He will have a better career than Giles Simon.
He’s already had a better career than Simon.

I don’t think he’ll ever win a slam though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I predict between 7-10

From my experience, winning is a habit.
Once you fall out of that habit there is no telling how well you can return to it. Just like losing, look at M.Zverev and Gulbis for example, habit of losing.
Now that he is back down to earth he will carry less aura and players will have a better mindset against him.
Realistically he is good at retrieving and using the opponents power. If players start to realize to not give him angles or much pace and play down the middle more, he is a lot less effective but still very good!! His serve is what will in my opinion keep him in the top 10

Reactions: dDreamer
1 - 14 of 14 Posts