Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Marin will be the first to retire because i dont think he enjoys plys tennis anymore-i know Murray and Del Potro/injuries/ and Fed /Age/ are far more probable contestant but there problem is physical-they all have the spirit and determination to carry but for me Marin doesnt have such ambition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think Marin will be the first to retire because i dont think he enjoys plys tennis anymore-i know Murray and Del Potro/injuries/ and Fed /Age/ are far more probable contestant but there problem is physical-they all have the spirit and determination to carry but for me Marin doesnt have such ambition.
I wasn't sure how old Cilic was, I knew he was in his 30s but I had to check. Being 32, it's not ancient but Marin has had issues for a very very long time. I also wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day, after the Olympics perhaps, especially if he is carrying a chronic injury that just won't go away.

Just doesn't seem like the fighter type. And no shame in that, I mean he has had a phenomenal career, but ever since that Wimbledon 2018 upset against that Argentinian dude, (Pella was it?) I have not seen him play at his usual level. Just can't string together a few good wins. With all his limitations, both physical and mental, he can be quite tricky when he's on.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
but ever since that Wimbledon 2018 upset against that Argentinian dude, (Pella was it?)
It remains a mystery.
He had a very decent first semester with this AO final, atp 3, best ranking, and his best season on clay, with 1/2 in Rome and 1/4 in TG before his Queen's title.
Then came the inexplicable of this match vs Pella before the black hole, fortunately saved by the last final of the real Davis Cup.
Some acceptable defeats vs Djokovic (Cinci, Bercy, Masters) or Nadal and Zverev, but too much waste too.

Decline really confirmed in 2019

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
And you mean by the end of 2023.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts