Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My suggestion: after Andre Agassi :kiss: :hearts: won the USO AO, i suggested that someone take the time to do an Old Balls vs New Balls comparison to see how the new balls stacked up against the geriatrics. i didn't have time to do the stats myself. well it turns out that tennisone.con did! and here's the answer...:D :D

Of Legal Age, Part II

Earlier this week, we looked at the ages of the women who made the Australian Open Round of Sixteen, and their ages. It was a pretty young bunch, the typical player being about 22, and the younger players beat their elders in 60% of the final round matches.

How about the men? How did they stack up, age-wise?

Below is the summary of the men's results and ages.

R16 * El Aynaoui (31) def. Hewitt (21)
R16 * Roddick (20) def. Youzhny (20)
R16 * Schuettler (26) def. Blake (23)
R16 * Nalbandian (21) def. Federer (21)
R16 * Ferreira (31) def. Sargsian (29)
R16 * Ferrero (22) def. Ancic (18)
R16 * Grosjean (24) def. Mantilla (28)
R16 * Agassi (32) def. Coria (21)

QF * Roddick (20) def. El Aynaoui (31)
QF * Schuettler (26) def. Nalbandian (21)
QF * Ferreira (31) def. Ferrero (22)
QF * Agassi (32) def. Grosjean (24)

SF * Schuettler (26) def. Roddick (20)
SF * Agassi (32) def. Ferreira (31)

Final * Agassi (32) def. Schuettler (26)

This brings out a fascinating point: The youngest woman in the Australian Open Round of Sixteen was 19, and the oldest was 31. The men, of course, had an older player, Andre Agassi. But they also had a younger, Mario Ancic. Could it be that men are coming up as fast as women after all?

The truth is, probably not. As with the women, let's do a distribution by age:

18 - 1 - *
19 - 0 -
20 - 2 - **
21 - 4 - ****
22 - 1 - *
23 - 1 - *
24 - 1 - *
25 - 0 -
26 - 1 - *
27 - 0 -
28 - 1 - *
29 - 1 - *
30 - 0 -
31 - 2 - **
32 - 1 - *

It is a surprisingly young list -- eight of our sixteen players are under the age of 23, which is roughly the point at which men are expected to "put up or shut up." But only three are 20 or under, compared to five women that young, and three are over 30, compared to one such "elderly" woman. The really noteworthy thing is the lack of "midrange": only four players in the list are between the ages of 23 and 28, inclusive: Blake, Grosjean, Mantilla, and Schuettler.

If we take the standard statistics, we find that the mode (most common age) is 21; the women's mode was 19. The median (as many above as below) is 22.5 -- which, interestingly, is the same as for the women. But the mean (average) is 24.25, more than two years older than the women's mean of 22. Based on this (highly inadequate) data set, men develop only slightly later, but hang on rather longer.

Except -- as with the women, the question becomes, did youth succeed? This is another question. We observe that, in the Round of Sixteen, five of six matches were won by the older player (two of the matches involved players the same age); the only instance of a younger player beating an older was Grosjean's win over Mantilla.

In the quarterfinal, the older player won three of four; the one exception was Roddick's win over El Aynaoui, and that was really a "too close to call" result.

In both the semifinals and the final, the older player won all matches. Thus, in the thirteen matches where older players faced younger, the older player won ten of thirteen. That compares to nine of fifteen won by the younger player on the women's side.

Maybe those kids do have something to learn yet...:p :p

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
tennischick said:
My suggestion: after Andre Agassi :kiss: :hearts: won the USO, i suggested that someone take the time to do an Old Balls vs New Balls comparison to see how the new balls stacked up against the geriatrics. i didn't have time to do the stats myself. well it turns out that tennisone.con did! and here's the answer...:D :D

Now TC, you are waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy ahead yourself. AA won the AO but USO, so far, the champion is still Pete. :D :D

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooops!!!! i meant to say the AO. wasn't intending to rush into the future...:p :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts