Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name some matches that live long in your memory that were not necessarily high profile and why?

For me

Hewitt v El Aynaoui - Wimbledon 2001 - first i ever watched
Roddick v El Aynaoui - AO 2003 - Swear I dont like youness much just was a great match
Henman v Tursonov - Wimbledon 2005 - It was a rainy day so sat through it all. Never liked Henman so was happy for the upset.
Nalbandian v Malisse - Wimbledon 2002 - knew winner would meet hewitt
Roddick v Gulbis - USO 2008 - first time seeing gulbis and he was on fire early on, was also controversial during the match

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
292 Posts
Chardy vs Nishikori Acapulco 2012 (Chardy saved 7 MPs)

Monaco vs Nishikori Kuala Lampur 2012 (Monaco saves MP on Kei serve)

Almagro vs Nishikori Tokyo 2013 (Almagro comes back from double break in the first set)

Paire vs Nishikori Tokyo 2015

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Nice thread.

Tsonga - Santoro 7/5 6/2 Halle 2009.

Was in Berlin at a friend's house. The night before we did some good partying and we were hangover as hell. Watching this match as a zombie was the only thing that kept me from throwing everything out. I remember telling myself: "just watch the next point, just watch the next point" endlessly. And it worked:)

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Nice thread.

Tsonga - Santoro 7/5 6/2 Halle 2009.

Was in Berlin at a friend's house. The night before we did some good partying and we were hangover as hell. Watching this match as a zombie was the only thing that kept me from throwing everything out. I remember telling myself: "just watch the next point, just watch the next point" endlessly. And it worked:)
Your experience reminds me Andy Roddick vs. Max Mirnyi in some hard court tournament back in 2003, Andy Roddick was winning everything for a short period and I was rooting against him. Max Mirnyi played a good first set and could have won the tie break, but stars were always aligned for Andy Roddick in that period (see the match vs. David Nalbandian at the US Open).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ferrer- Del Potro Davis cup match in 2011- electrifying match from start to finish.

Soderling- Gonzalez FO semi 2009- epic meltdown from Gonzo in the 5th set.

Gaudio- Hewitt and Gaudio- Nalbandian quarters and semis in FO 2004- clay court masterclasses from Gaudio dismantling both of them in straight sets- I suggest people watch them before declaring his slam win as a fluke!

Nalbandian- Hewitt 1st round match at AO 2011- same players played Wimbledon final in 2002- now meeting in 1st round- Nalbandian winning a 5 set thriller 9-7 in the last set.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Gaudio- Hewitt and Gaudio- Nalbandian quarters and semis in FO 2004- clay court masterclasses from Gaudio dismantling both of them in straight sets- I suggest people watch them before declaring his slam win as a fluke!
The final was a fluke, not the matches before that, the most comparable one I can think of is Rafa Nadal wins Madrid in 2014.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
1998 US Open second round: Agassi beats Raoux 6-3; 6-2; 6-7; 3-6; 6-1

I was still a child, maybe 7 or 8, but I still remember this as the first match I ever watched.
I remember my dad telling me how great this bald guy called Agassi was and that he should dismantle whoever this Raoux guy was pretty easily. First two sets went to Agassi as expected, the next thing, Raoux changed shirts from white to this orange/pink looking shirt and won the next two sets. This was the first match I really observed, so all that stuff, changing shirts, coming down from two sets; was fascinating.

Agassi eventually prevailed in the 5th by delivering a breadstick. Obviously I had to google the match to remember who he played and what the scores were. I do remember Agassi winning the first two and being stunned in the next two sets.

Now my age can be deciphered, might as well stick my age in my profile.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1998 US Open second round: Agassi beats Raoux 6-3; 6-2; 6-7; 3-6; 6-1

I was still a child, maybe 7 or 8, but I still remember this as the first match I ever watched.
I remember my dad telling me how great this bald guy called Agassi was and that he should dismantle whoever this Raoux guy was pretty easily. First two sets went to Agassi as expected, the next thing, Raoux changed shirts from white to this orange/pink looking shirt and won the next two sets. This was the first match I really observed, so all that stuff, changing shirts, coming down from two sets; was fascinating.

Agassi eventually prevailed in the 5th by delivering a breadstick. Obviously I had to google the match to remember who he played and what the scores were. I do remember Agassi winning the first two and being stunned in the next two sets.

Now my age can be deciphered, might as well stick my age in my profile.

You old AF :grin2: but i am older :secret::superlol:

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I watched Nando vs A-Rod in Rome many years ago, Nando lost the first set in a tb and was in a foul mood in the 2nd, serving at 3-5 0-40. Missed the first serve, went for a 2nd serve ace which was called wide by line judge. Umpire said "GSM A-Rod" but instead of approaching the net to shake hands, the American wiped out the mark and went to return at 15-40. Nando, surprised that the match wasn't over, proceeded to hold from 0-40 and then for the first time in the match broke serve in the next game, hitting a bevy of winners and finally won 6-7 7-6 6-4.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I watched Nando vs A-Rod in Rome many years ago, Nando lost the first set in a tb and was in a foul mood in the 2nd, serving at 3-5 0-40. Missed the first serve, went for a 2nd serve ace which was called wide by line judge. Umpire said "GSM A-Rod" but instead of approaching the net to shake hands, the American wiped out the mark and went to return at 15-40. Nando, surprised that the match wasn't over, proceeded to hold from 0-40 and then for the first time in the match broke serve in the next game, hitting a bevy of winners and finally won 6-7 7-6 6-4.
Crazy stuff.

Very similar to the match between Goran Ivanisevic and Richard Krajiceck at Wimbledon, except that the Croatian still won in the end, but in crazy fashion. If my memory is correct:
-Goran Ivanisevic was leading 2 sets to love, and was a break up in the 3rd
-Served for the match, had match point, served an ace, but the serve was announced let (Richard Krajicek was all smile, about to shake hands)
-Richard Krajicek broke back and won the set, then won the fourth
-Goran Ivanisevic won the fifth, 16-14 or something like that :D

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
I'd add:

- Ivo and Berdych too for that 45 aces fest. Didn't watch but saw the boom boom fast highlights :lol:
- couple of Murray-Kohli matches :eek:
- Kei and Kyrgios, Wimbledon - didn't quite expect Nick to be taken to the cleaners especially on Kei's weakest surface.
- PCB - Dimitrov match in Barcelona - "I'll remember this"
- Schwartzman - Dimitrov, pretty shameful finish to final but great to see Diego lift his first ATP tour title.
- Nishikori-Verdasco at RG - 2016 was a very hard fought one with both hitting big, especially Nando, but RG 2017 was bizarre with 6-0 on both ends. Kei was atrocious for a set and a half, then Verdasco couldn't find the court for the last set and a half.
- Johnson - Coric RG 2017 R3? - such an emotional match for Johnson and Coric was fuming at the end.
- Ouahab-Haase, and Ouahab-GGL 2015 in Casablance. GOAThab's appearance won me over from the start. So much amusement in just two matches of Moroccan GOAT pulling off every single shot in the book, especially passes and deadly dropshots. GGL ran to try and get one and slipped hard. A shame he ran out of gas. This year showed up against Kohli too and gave Basilashvili a tough time. I've said this before and still keep this opinion that those Ouahab matches were more interesting than any Kei match I've watched :bolt:

https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/613089-casablanca-r2-[wc]-ouahab-routines-[1]-ggl-6-3-6-3-a.html

https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/613065-ouahab-hitting-forehand-slice-winner-amazing-backhand-lob-endless-loops.html

https://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/612090-casablanca-r1-wc-ouahab-def-haase-6-2-6-4-a.html

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Murray v Robredo saga - middle finer lol
Kokkinakis v Gulbiis = AO - did the worm after 5 set win and laps of court

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,348 Posts
Nalbandian - Safin 2006 USO. Tough luck for David in that match, he manages to come back from 0-2 and force a breaker in the 5th. Then comes back from 1-5 I believe just to loose 6-8 with some unlucky balls (a netcord from Safin, a failed half volley in MP). It's like every time David would gain momentum in the scoreline it wasn't quite enough.

Another bizarre match that comes to mind right now was Goffin - Nadal last year RR. Really hard to watch, I think I quit a few games before the end.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
2009 Haas vs Djokovic in Halle, one of the first few times I watched tennis on television
2010 Tomic vs Cilic at the AO... Tomic was this hyped youngster and he looked so nice to me lol, such a funny game style... everyone seemed to root for him, lost closely in the end.
2010 clay season, finding my first online streams at home and watching Fed/Gulbis (not sure if only the second or both of their clay encounters), and watching Nadal in hotel lobbys

Basically this stuff is related to what I was doing at the time

basically, early stuff.

beyond that there isnt any "bizarre match memory" for non high profile matches unless they were surprisingly good/bad matches or something funny happened.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts