Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roland Garros 2015 has already had some quite fiercely contested battles, some of which have gone to 5 sets.
Question is how you fans support players in those situations, or perhaps players prone to have this swings? Especially the ones which have weird momentum swings as we saw in Monfils-Cuevas?

Here's some examples:
  • Tomic - Kokkinakis (Tomic lead 2 sets to love and lead in 4th and 5th)
  • Andujar - Kohli (Andujar up 2-0 then loses next two, suspended and wins the 5th from down a break)
  • Verdasco - Becker (Verdasco lost first but came back in style in 2nd and 3rd, served for it in the 4th, lost it...)
  • Simon - Mahut (Simon lost both 2nd/3rd set TBs but other sets won with a break at least)

I just watch the match as entertainment without stakes regarding who wins/loses, except a few involving my favourites or perhaps SF/F. Personally I'd have no hair left if I had to support players with these sorts of swings!

·
Registered
943 Posts
You maintain your own routing to give a sense of normality...
I know this is WTA but during the 2013 USO final, especially second set, there were so many momentum swings and "Treasure" by Bruno Mars was playing during the changeovers, so right before they went back to the court I would always sing it in my head :spit:
And in my head before the point stars I always said "Vika win" each time before she served.
I did the same for Federer Wimbledon final against Djokovic.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
If it's my favorites, I'm tearing my hair out.

For other matches, I just settle in and enjoy the ride. :)

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
How do you calm yourself when they are so close and so much at stake?
Uh. How much do I want to embarrass myself here...

One thing I do is whisper-chant "in...out...in...out... (etc.)" at the ball. It rarely works, but at least it's doing something, and the rhythm of it calms me down a little.

I've been known to plead with them to take the fucking break point already. I can bargain with the universe... I paid for Stan's AO win with a full month of going to the gym every single day.

Holding my breath, on the other hand, can be counterproductive. I've totally done it in crucial rallies, though.

·
54,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uh. How much do I want to embarrass myself here...

One thing I do is whisper-chant "in...out...in...out... (etc.)" at the ball. It rarely works, but at least it's doing something, and the rhythm of it calms me down a little.

I've been known to plead with them to take the fucking break point already. I can bargain with the universe... I paid for Stan's AO win with a full month of going to the gym every single day.

Holding my breath, on the other hand, can be counterproductive. I've totally done it in crucial rallies, though.
:spit: That's original! I don't think I hold my breath lol but I clench my fists together. But I've had my share of these tense matches watching Nishikori vs Ferrer (especially Paris QF where Nishikori was 2 pts from defeat in TB and won the TB reeling 5 pts in a row)

·
23,797 Posts
Well Stan is the king of bipolar right now, so I worry every time when I watch him, but eventually I just know that in general if he's playing well in a tournament that he would probably still win. However, knowing how he goes up and down that even during Match Point you just can't be sure. That being said if a player doesn't play as well it becomes a bit exhausting thinking he would play better yet he won't. Players winning a Set is probably a good relief point.

·
54,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Stan is the king of bipolar right now, so I worry every time when I watch him, but eventually I just know that in general if he's playing well in a tournament that he would probably still win. However, knowing how he goes up and down that even during Match Point you just can't be sure. That being said if a player doesn't play as well it becomes a bit exhausting thinking he would play better yet he won't. Players winning a Set is probably a good relief point.
Yes indeed. Thanks for reminding me about Stan. Whoever was on his bandwagon during Jan/Feb did well, but Mar-April his wheels came off completely. The other big one is Fognini (but he doesn't quite 'tank' as often as he used to and loses if he is outplayed really...but the straight sets loss to Paire was a bit of a puzzle). Still he gives us so many momentum swings.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I try to get their address to mail them some anti-swing medicine. I also include a mirror in that package so the player can look himself/herself in the eye and know how disgusting they are

·
23,797 Posts
Yes indeed. Thanks for reminding me about Stan. Whoever was on his bandwagon during Jan/Feb did well, but Mar-April his wheels came off completely. The other big one is Fognini (but he doesn't quite 'tank' as often as he used to and loses if he is outplayed really...but the straight sets loss to Paire was a bit of a puzzle). Still he gives us so many momentum swings.
2014 was a dark year for Fognini fans for sure...too much tanking, too much giving up, and not much good behavior. At least this year he seem to be more mellow about it, but still not as good as he was during 2013. It could be frustrating to see if you support a player who seems could do more but isn't able to fulfill his potential. Some just handle the pressures of the game better I guess.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I offer advice before and during key points, imagine things I could have done to help them develop their skills during their childhood, and take them down the pub for a post mortem after their toughest losses. There are awkward moments, because I can't really hide my disgust at top ten players who cannot smash the ball.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
I did the same for Federer Wimbledon final against Djokovic.
I see what you did there.
So that's why Olderer failed in the end.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There is one thing I do, when I have lots of money staked on a player and its a close match I start cleaning my appartment to earn good karma :D

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
If it's my favorites, I'm tearing my hair out.

For other matches, I just settle in and enjoy the ride. :)
This. I should be bald my now. It's not easy being a fan of certain (french) players sometimes :lol: And Stan, so frustrating...

I do it all the time. It's especially counterproductive in Simon matches :lol: But I do it whether the match is close or not. I barely made it through Barcelona...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I don't watch boring players go at it for five sets. I only get nervous at those types of matches when one of my favorite players is on.

·
54,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tomorrow is nail-biting time. All of my favorites (Federer, Nadal and Ferrer) are on.
Good luck. And I bet Ferrer must have given you a scare in R3...

·
Registered
943 Posts
:spit: That's original! I don't think I hold my breath lol but I clench my fists together. But I've had my share of these tense matches watching Nishikori vs Ferrer (especially Paris QF where Nishikori was 2 pts from defeat in TB and won the TB reeling 5 pts in a row)
I clench my fists and my palms get so sweaty :spit:

I usually watch on my computer, and if they won a big point the point before, I keep my hands on the same position / or same body position in the the hopes that was the reason they won ;) I have tics like these for my favorites :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts