Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
AgassiDomination said:
The Nieminem d Agassi was the worst in my opinion. 8 time GS winner goes down in the first round of a GS to a nobody, what a shocker!
Given that Agassi was injured with that back/hip problem what ever it is.....it doesn't seem to me that this is a true upset. He could have lost to anyone under the circumstance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Jimnik said:
1 Muller bt Roddick US OPEN
2 Tursunov bt Henman WIMBLEDON
3 Mathieu bt Roddick AMS MONTREAL
4 Gasquet bt Federer AMS MONTE-CARLO
5 Ljubicic/Ancic bt Bryan/Bryan DAVIS CUP
6 Karlovic bt Hewitt QUEENS
7 Ginepri bt Roddick INDIANAPOLIS
8 Almagro bt Safin AMS ROME
9 Melzer bt Agassi SAN JOSE
10 Baker bt Gaudio US OPEN
Melzer hasn't played Agassi this year. Baker v Gaudio was really disappointing for me, but the way Gaudio played was like a drunken tramp, he would have lost to anyone that day. Karlovic v Hewitt, hardly that surprising judging by Hewitt's last match against him on the same surface. And Safin was in an apalling slump when he lost to Nicolas Almagro.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
More to the point, Nieminen had Agassi by the proverbial short and curlies (if you'll pardon the expression) before he remembered who he was playing and got tight. He should have won that match in straights, not had to rely on superior fitness to win in five.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Sjengster said:
More to the point, Nieminen had Agassi by the proverbial short and curlies (if you'll pardon the expression) before he remembered who he was playing and got tight. He should have won that match in straights, not had to rely on superior fitness to win in five.
I'll give you that Nieminen could potentially have won it in straights, but superior fitness had little to do with his victory in the end. :p

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Puschkin said:
It has been mentioned before, but I would go for the whole DC-tie Croatia/US.
the only win that was a surprise was the doubles (just because the bryans had never dropped a set before in dc doubles)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Safin beating Fed in Aus Open SF - Fed was on his hands and knees on the last point. That image captured how big of an upset that was...

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Federer has had 77 upset victories this season.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
I would have to go with this one, I just don't understand how Fed keeps getting so lucky and pulling off the upsets. Eventually you would think that this will come back to haunt him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
muller bt roddick (that wasn't an upset, that was supershocking .especially when i heard it in the morning, right after i just woke up)
Slov bt argentine for DC :explode:
Croat bt USA in DC(what the..?) :scratch:
Croat bt Russia in DC semi(noooo..!!!) :banghead:
i was particularly upset cause i want russia to go to final

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
i'd definitely go with the G Muller beated Roddick in the USO first round...

I know Muller was playing well before the USO and was looking quite promising, but i must say when the draw was revealed, even himself must hv thought he'd be gone.

Roddick, altho lost another first round tourney to PHM b4 the USO on one of the pre-USO warm-ups, but he came back strongly and played well in the rest of the tourneys on the US soil. Especially when he's the crowd favourite, and with his powerful services, who would hv thought Andy would lose 3 TBs !!! Super-upset~

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts
breakingthehabit said:
Croat bt Russia in DC semi(noooo..!!!) :banghead:
i was particularly upset cause i want russia to go to final

that was not a upset, Croatia was home and a favor to win it.

upset-not meaning if the lose pisses' you of,

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
croat123 said:
the only win that was a surprise was the doubles (just because the bryans had never dropped a set before in dc doubles)
You forgot Ljubicic's first real win over Andy Roddick ;)

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
A poor attempt to be funny or sarcastic!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I can't decide between a few singles matches, but definetly Ancic & Ljubicic beating the Bryans in DC was the biggest upset to me. It took me a few days to realize what actually happened.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Jimnik said:
QF of SAN JOSE in February.
I even included the venue in my original post.
You are right, I concede. I'm sorry my bad ;)

I was thinking that match was last year, but I was thinking of Melzer's previous win over Agassi, a match which I watched.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Agassi Aces said:
Yep, Melzer over Agassi in San Jose. I thought Grosjean over Agassi in Houston QF was a bit of a surprise, on clay in the US?
Grosjean is a good player on all surfaces and immensely talented and under rated, he has now trails Agassi 3-4, and his other wins were on big stages, Roland Garros and the Masters Cup. So while this was an upset it wasn't particulary shocking to me as Agassi had struggled to beat Calatrava in the previous round.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts