Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all.
I would have to go with Mark Philippoussis, Juan Martin Del Potro (injuries), and Andy Murray. (I hate him, but if he actually bettered his mentality early on in his career, he probably would have done more.)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: Biggest underachievers in tennis?

1. Djokovic is #1 for sure, the world's best and the most complete player ever got prevented by his childish mentality from completely dominating 2011-2014, and even taking slam or two more 2008-2010. His failures are purely mental, not because of his tennis. Nobody screwed up so many slams, and there are probably more failures to come :facepalm:

2. Delpo is #2 for sure, almost unbeatable at his full potential, strongest groundstrokes ever and very solid movement. Too bad he is stopped by injuries, unlike some others because of bad work ethic and psychological problems

3. Safin, extremely talented, but heavily underachieved due to his off-tennis priorities and lack of ambition :lol:

4. Nalbandian - similar case as Safin, just less talented and less accomplished

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Feliciano Lopez, actually and I'm not saying that JUST BECAUSE he didn't win today or the fact he even played today.

This guy has a world class serve, it's often over-looked because he's not 6,9 isner / karlovic but it's simply world class, especially on the slicker surfaces. I've always had him down as additionally the best vollier on tour and that includes Bopana and pase.

I think the fact there are VERY few grass-court tournaments around makes matters so much harder for him, he feels additional pressure to do the best he can and maximise his opportunities at 1-3 grass-court tournaments. If this bloke was around in the 90s, he would have been a top 10 player and not many on here or in the tennis world acknowledge this.

Many just think he is a servebot.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Grand Slams champions underachievers, yes.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

davydenko has to be up there. the guy could have won a couple slams if he wasnt such a choker.

2010 australian open was probably his biggest opportunity but also the 2005 french open and maybe the 2007 us open

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Grand Slams champions underachievers, yes.. :rolleyes:
Quit being a narrow minded sod.

Roddick won one slam and you wouldn't class him an underachiever?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Quit being a narrow minded sod.

Roddick won one slam and you wouldn't class him an underachiever?
No, he was jsut unlucky. But a GS and winning the Toronto, CIncinnati three-peat is not underachieving.

Being an stable top 0 for years.

Coria is an underachiever, Davydenko, Phillipoussis, Rafter and Safin even with two GS.

But the names tha are being mentioned here, DJokovic, Del Potro, Federer. No way they are udnerachievers.

Del Potro maybe, but his career is not finished yet.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts

Davydenko , Nalbandian

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

kohlschreiber, malisse and gulbis too.

gulbis still has time to add to his accomplishments but right now he's still vastly under achieved

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

No, he was jsut unlucky. But a GS and winning the Toronto, CIncinnati three-peat is not underachieving.

Being an stable top 0 for years.

Coria is an underachiever, Davydenko, Phillipoussis, Rafter and Safin even with two GS.

But the names tha are being mentioned here, DJokovic, Del Potro, Federer. No way they are udnerachievers.

Del Potro maybe, but his career is not finished yet.

He was 'just unlucky' ... so you admit he should have won atleast 1 wimbledon title? .... and therefore are in a sense, saying....... he indeed underachieved?

Dude you just scored an owngoal.

Just because you win a slam does not mean you have maxed your talent, or even come close to mildly doing so.

Djokovic hasn't won a french open, look at his movement, one of the best movers in tennis ever, not only on a hardcourt and the bloke hasn't won Clay's major competition.

That is a significant underachievement. To me, if he nevers wins the french, he will have underachieved. Regardless of Rafa or not.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

He was 'just unlucky' ... so you admit he should have won atleast 1 wimbledon title? .... and therefore are in a sense, saying....... he indeed underachieved?

Dude you just scored an owngoal.

Just because you win a slam does not mean you have maxed your talent, or even come close to mildly doing so.

Djokovic hasn't won a french open, look at his movement, one of the best movers in tennis ever, not only on a hardcourt and the bloke hasn't won Clay's major competition.

That is a significant underachievement. To me, if he nevers wins the french, he will have underachieved. Regardless of Rafa or not.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Roddick anyone or was he just unfortunate that JesusFed came along when he did? I didn't think he did enough to challenge.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

Del Po is an obvious one because of his injuries.

Djokovic has underachieved, he has choked in so many slams recently, should have way more than 6 slams. Also health issues early on in his career. Hewitt also underachieved. Not a fan of the man, but there is no doubt he was sidelined badly by injuries too.

Tsonga, Safin, Davydenko and Nalbandian massively underachieved. Their talent is huge, there is no way they shouldn't have done better :( Marcelos Rios too. He was one of he most gifted players I have ever seen, shame his career didn't reflect that.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Lleyton Hewitt-easily could have won 4-5 Grand Slams at least and reign tennis for at least 5-6 years, if it wasn't for injuries, his bad season in 2003 and Federer's luck in their matches in 2004.

I would also add Juan Carlos Ferrero-one of my favourite players ever, there were no secrets for him tennis-wise. Really complete player imo, but only won one Roland Garros title.

Coria as well-should have won at least one Roland Garros and could have been a real rival on clay for Nadal in 2005-2008 instead of the overrated Federer.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Agassi. Wasted lots of his career.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts

Dancevic. He has the talent to be easily a consistent top 50 player probably more, but injuries and plain inconsistency has turned him into a player that's almost always been outside the top 100. Huge underachiever.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts