I'd say Monfils is a good call :
- big 1st serve
- great forehand
- solid backhand
- huge power
- great speed
- very good movement
- good stamina
He doesn't have many weaknesses in his game : only his 2nd serve and his net play IMO.

Gael only has won 5 titles (nothing above 250 level), only reached one GS SF, not a single WTF appareance. He has been unlucky with injuries and above all he lacks focus/mental strength to achieve something big so far. That said, I think he could do well next year (another GS SF or another Masters final is possible), after all 2014 has been a pretty good season for him.

Many people think Gasquet is an underachiever, since he has never won something above 250 level too. I think his questionable mental strength, lack of power and weak forehand maybe explain it.

· Registered
65,886 Posts
Monfils's stamina is pretty horrible, badly overrated.
Still, he's on my list. Should have been top 5 easy

Going down the rankings and picking out underachievers

Tomas Berdych
Ernests Gulbis
Gael Monfils
Philipp Kohlschreiber
Richard Gasquet
Fernando Verdasco
Simone Bolelli
Nicolas Almagro
Peter Gojowczyk
Robin Haase
Marcos Baghdatis
Paul Henri Mathieu
Tobias Kamke

So 13 I'd call pretty bad underachievers in the top 100. Some milder ones in there too.

Picking out the biggest ones outside top 100:

Benoit Paire
Ruben Bemelmans
Victor Hanescu
Ryan Harrison
Ilija Bozoljac
Robby Ginepri
Yuki Bhambri
Daniel Evans
Giovanni Lapentti
Philipp Petzschner
Florin Mergea

My top 5 would be

1. Mergea
2. Verdasco
3. Bozoljac
4. Monfils
5. Petzschner

Gasquet is a little tough to categorize because his underachieving is due more to a failure to ever improve his game than the others which were all pretty much a matter of choking or lack of dedication.

And I put Mergea at #1, but I'm sure there are many others like him who I don't know because unlike Mergea they don't give tennis a second go at 28.

· Registered
8 Posts
Monfils (so many injuries, lack of discipline)
Del Potro (injuries...)
Wawrinka (probably the best serve + groundstroke combo out there)
Gulbis (amazing serve + backhand, someone teach him a forehand plz)
Verdasco (look 2009)
Bellucci
Kohlschreiber

Many people think Gasquet is an underachiever, since he has never won something above 250 level too. I think his questionable mental strength, lack of power and weak forehand maybe explain it.
Yeah, I think Gasquet is/was seriously overhyped just like Tomic.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
Practically I could name every French and many Australian players (except Hewitt), which makes me sad. :sad: :bigcry:
Also I think:
Michał Przysiężny
Fabio Fognini
Ryan Harrison

Many players are underachievers usually because mental issues.

· Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Practically I could name every French and many Australian players (except Hewitt), which makes me sad. :sad: :bigcry:
Also I think:
Michał Przysiężny
Fabio Fognini
Ryan Harrison

Many players are underachievers usually because mental issues.
I'd not say Tsonga is a big underachiever (though he's unfortunately injury prone), considering he has big weaknesses such as his ROS and to a lesser extent his BH. :yeah:

· Registered
65,886 Posts
I'd not say Tsonga is a big underachiever (though he's unfortunately injury prone), considering he has big weaknesses such as his ROS and to a lesser extent his BH. :yeah:
I agree with this. Tsonga is actually very clutch and a reasonably good strategist. He's always going to be very inconsistent with his game, and his backhand and return are just horrible a majority of the time.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
No as big as Monfils, I agree with that, but still looks for me more like underachiever than overachiever. Or maybe I am just too harsh for him. :p

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Monfils's stamina is pretty horrible, badly overrated.
Still, he's on my list. Should have been top 5 easy

Going down the rankings and picking out underachievers

Tomas Berdych
Ernests Gulbis
Gael Monfils
Philipp Kohlschreiber
Richard Gasquet
Fernando Verdasco
Simone Bolelli
Nicolas Almagro
Peter Gojowczyk
Robin Haase
Marcos Baghdatis
Paul Henri Mathieu
Tobias Kamke

So 13 I'd call pretty bad underachievers in the top 100. Some milder ones in there too.

Picking out the biggest ones outside top 100:

Benoit Paire
Ruben Bemelmans
Victor Hanescu
Ryan Harrison
Ilija Bozoljac
Robby Ginepri
Yuki Bhambri
Daniel Evans
Giovanni Lapentti
Philipp Petzschner
Florin Mergea

My top 5 would be

1. Mergea
2. Verdasco
3. Bozoljac
4. Monfils
5. Petzschner

Gasquet is a little tough to categorize because his underachieving is due more to a failure to ever improve his game than the others which were all pretty much a matter of choking or lack of dedication.

And I put Mergea at #1, but I'm sure there are many others like him who I don't know because unlike Mergea they don't give tennis a second go at 28.
PHM and Bozo. Two of my favorites. I like to watch them not matter where they are ranked. PHM's all time high ranking of #12 I think is pretty close to his potential though. Bozo had the talent to be top 50 but he's pretty slow and two handed of both sides so don't think he could have gotten really high in the rankings. But, yeah he had the talent to be perennially top 100. That he is has never made the top 100 is crazy when you think of guys like Mannarino, Matthew Ebden and Bradley Klahn being up there.

· Registered
65,886 Posts
PHM and Bozo. Two of my favorites. I like to watch them not matter where they are ranked. PHM's all time high ranking of #12 I think is pretty close to his potential though. Bozo had the talent to be top 50 but he's pretty slow and two handed of both sides so don't think he could have gotten really high in the rankings. But, yeah he had the talent to be perennially top 100. That he is has never made the top 100 is crazy when you think of guys like Mannarino, Matthew Ebden and Bradley Klahn being up there.
Bozo's serve at his height is enough to guarantee consistent top 100 if you just put in the slightest amount of effort. Unfortunately, that never happened. He has both a one and a two handed forehand BTW.

· Registered
13,806 Posts
its hard to say for me between these 5 :

monfils
gulbis
berdych
bolelli
kohlschreiber

and then there are those outside the top 100 that i wouldnt say are underachieving as badly as those 5, they just are not as talented in general but still, they have underachieved thus far:

benoit paire
ryan harrison
marius copil
dan evans
thiemo de bakker

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.