Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Agree with that.

Also Nadal FO 2013 vs Djokovic. Probably his greatest win at RG ever. And his hardest fought victory on clay after Rome 2005 and 2006 finals, which were also best of 5
Haha you are insulting Nadal greatly by picking that. Novak was awful, look at the stats. Yet Nadal playing really well needed dodgy ump calls and that net touch to win :worship:

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I agree, that was by far the best performance by Murray I've seen :yeah:

Tsonga's gotta be that AO semi vs Nadal. Just flawless and merciless, in his first slam semi.
Don't get me wrong, Jo was insane that day. Nadal did everything he could but it wasn't good enough against Stronga. But beating on in form Roger at Wimbledon from two sets down? Amazing :)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Ferrer : 2013 FO SF vs. Tsonga
Tsonga : 2008 AO SF vs. Nadal
Berdych : 2010 W QF vs. Federer
Raonic : 2011 AO 3R vs. Youzhny ? (scoured Wiki to see which of his epic runs to 4R seemed most impressive)
Isner : 2010 W 1R vs. Mahut
Dimitrov : 2014 AO 3R vs. Raonic
Nishikori : Don't know
Gasquet : 2013 USO 4R vs. Raonic ? (broke the 4R losing streak)
Cilic : 2009 USO 4R vs. Murray
Gulbis : 2012 W 1R vs. Berdych
Almagro : No idea
Fognini : No idea
Was obviously huge since it got him into his first major final, but it's hard to see it as that impressive a win considering how abysmal JWT played that day :sad:.

·
Registered
21,280 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Jo was insane that day. Nadal did everything he could but it wasn't good enough against Stronga. But beating on in form Roger at Wimbledon from two sets down? Amazing :)
Don't stretch it.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
It all depends what is meant by best slam win? Performance-wise, the Nadal match is way ahead IMO. We can debate whether the win over Federer has more weight and why. I'm actually undecided on that point. It's indeed an impressive comeback and it was played for the same stakes as the Nadal match.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Although Murray's best moments are his wins, the utter beat down of Nadal at the US Open in 2008 when he was on his way up was one of the great grand slam performances, Nadal just had no answer to Murray.
I still remember that match simply because of the one moment where Nadal with his amazing stamina was seen bent over trying desperately to catch his breath. Not seen that happen before or since, Murray was running him from one side to the other relentlessly.

·
Registered
11,793 Posts
The most impressive win of Tsonga's grand slam career was against Nadal, no doubt. For the year after that, Nadal came into the best form of his entire career. Federer, however, was nowhere near the player he once was when Tsonga defeated him.
Yes, the following year. And he hasn't won a slam since then either, nor reached a final since then. He was clearly already long on the way down. As I said, Nadal on the verge of experiencing the best period in his career, if it wasn't for Tsonga, it may have started right there and then.

That was my point.
On the way down clearly, but that is just looking at the overall view. We are talking about specific matches, and a great player can still play great on the day, and so I think you fail to consider the actual match play that day, so I have to disagree with you here Burrow...

Federer was playing very impressively, even while losing the 3rd, 4th, and 5th set. But he just couldn't come near to breaking Tsonga. Tsonga was just in another world to beat Federer that day. Even if you didn't see the match, look at the almost unbelievably insane stats that match. Federer didn't do much wrong. The match wasn't lost, it was won.

Code:
[B]Federer 		Tsonga[/B]

17         Aces           18

126mph  Fastest serve   135mph

75%     First serves     70%

1       Double faults     4

[B]57        Winners         63[/B]
[B]
11     Unforced errors    22[/B]

1/1      Break points     3/9

26/42      Net pts       37/58
2008 AO against Nadal on hard court prior to Rafa being as accomplished on that surface, while also a great result and performance, was not quite as impressive a performance in my opinion.

Still both have merit and I can see why you feel as you do. :yeah:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Ferrer : Tsonga RG sf
Tsonga : Dull AO sf
Berdych : USO 2012 vs Federer
Raonic : AO 2012 vs colonel
Isner : Wimbledon 2010 vs Mahut
Dimitrov : Australian Open 2014 vs Raonic
Nishikori : USO08 Ferrer
Gasquet : USO 2013 vs Ferrer
Cilic : US Open 2009 vs Murray
Gulbis : Wimbledon 2012 vs Berdych
Almagro : RG2010 Verdasco
Fognini : Roland-Garros 2010 vs Monfils

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Well the AO match was playing to get in the final so in that way it was bigger, but beating Roger in that way at Wimbledon was insane stuff. I can see arguments for both really.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Silly me, of course the Fed match was QF, otherwise Jo would have to slam finals. In that case, the AO semi for me is a bigger win either way.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts