Gasquet : Wimbledon 2007 vs Roddick
Cilic : US Open 2009 vs Ferrer
Gulbis : Wimbledon 2012 vs Berdych
Almagro : Roland-Garros 2012 vs Tipsarevic
Fognini : Roland-Garros 2010 vs Monfils

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Some off the top of my head stuff here...

Ferrer: Nadal AO'11
Tsonga: Federer W'11
Berdych: Federer W'10
Isner: Mahut W'10
Nishikori: Tsonga AO'12
Cilic: Murray USO'09
Gulbis: Berdych W'12

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Tsonga: Federer Wimbedon 2011
Berdych: Federer Wimbledon 2010

·
Administrator
6,072 Posts
Ferrer : 2013 FO SF vs. Tsonga
Tsonga : 2008 AO SF vs. Nadal
Berdych : 2010 W QF vs. Federer
Raonic : 2011 AO 3R vs. Youzhny ? (scoured Wiki to see which of his epic runs to 4R seemed most impressive)
Isner : 2010 W 1R vs. Mahut
Dimitrov : 2014 AO 3R vs. Raonic
Nishikori : Don't know
Gasquet : 2013 USO 4R vs. Raonic ? (broke the 4R losing streak)
Cilic : 2009 USO 4R vs. Murray
Gulbis : 2012 W 1R vs. Berdych
Almagro : No idea
Fognini : No idea

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Gonzalez: Nadal AO 2007
Tsonga: Nadal AO 2008
Nadal: Federer Wimbledon 2008
Djokovic: Federer USO 2010, 2011
Murray: Djokovic USO 2012

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Almagro beat Murray at Roland Garros in 2008. Murray was just becoming the top player at the time. I still put it above defeating a player like Tipsarevic.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Id' say Raonic's biggest Grand Slam win was against Youzhny at AO '11. Raonic was a qualifier then ranked 152 and Youzhny was top 10. If I'm not mistaken is was also his first top 10 win and started his rise in the rankings.

If he had won that marathon match against Gasquet at US Open last year that would be it but he didn't, so I'd say Youzhny at AO'11

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Tsonga: Federer Wimbedon 2011
Berdych: Federer Wimbledon 2010
I concur.

Tsonga destroying Nadal at the AO is nowhere near as hard or impressive as beating Roger at Wimbledon :) I was so proud of Stronga that day, great stuff from him.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I concur.

Tsonga destroying Nadal at the AO is nowhere near as hard or impressive as beating Roger at Wimbledon :) I was so proud of Stronga that day, great stuff from him.
Not to mention coming from 2 sets down. Winning 3 sets in a row against Fed on grass is no joke.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I concur.

I don't agree. I think his (only) SF win in slams is ahead because he played probably the best match of his career that day. Uncredible achievement to do it in a SF of a slam.

2 great wins anyway

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Tsonga's Wimbledon win and 2008 Semi smackdown of Nadal is equally impressive

Fed never lost a 2 set lead in a slam until that day, and it was a place where he won 6 (and later added to it in 2012)

The AO one was equally impressive because he got his first final, and obliterated a guy who's won 3 French Opens at the time. I still contend to this day that that final between Djokovic determined their career trajectory.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
The most impressive win of Tsonga's grand slam career was against Nadal, no doubt. For the year after that, Nadal came into the best form of his entire career. Federer, however, was nowhere near the player he once was when Tsonga defeated him.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Gonzalez: Nadal AO 2007
Tsonga: Nadal AO 2008
Nadal: Federer Wimbledon 2008
Djokovic: Federer USO 2010, 2011
Murray: Djokovic USO 2012
Federer: Djokovic RG 2011

·
Registered
223 Posts
Although Murray's best moments are his wins, the utter beat down of Nadal at the US Open in 2008 when he was on his way up was one of the great grand slam performances, Nadal just had no answer to Murray.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The most impressive win of Tsonga's grand slam career was against Nadal, no doubt. For the year after that, Nadal came into the best form of his entire career. Federer, however, was nowhere near the player he once was when Tsonga defeated him.
Well considering the fact that Fed would go on to win W the followwing year in amazing fashion, i say Tsonga's win was impressive

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Although Murray's best moments are his wins, the utter beat down of Nadal at the US Open in 2008 when he was on his way up was one of the great grand slam performances, Nadal just had no answer to Murray.
I agree, that was by far the best performance by Murray I've seen :yeah:

Tsonga's gotta be that AO semi vs Nadal. Just flawless and merciless, in his first slam semi.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Well considering the fact that Fed would go on to win W the followwing year in amazing fashion, i say Tsonga's win was impressive
Yes, the following year. And he hasn't won a slam since then either, nor reached a final since then. He was clearly already long on the way down. As I said, Nadal on the verge of experiencing the best period in his career, if it wasn't for Tsonga, it may have started right there and then.

That was my point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts