Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the stats for the entire tournament, but I don't remember seeing so many errors at USO men's event. During the final commentators said they made bigger balls for men's event and smaller for women's. The surface was also made slower. The purpose is to make men's matches slower and women's faster, which makes no sense. Maybe they want to make women's event more interesting due to 'equality' political agenda.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I don't know the stats for the entire tournament, but I don't remember seeing so many errors at USO men's event. During the final commentators said they made bigger balls for men's event and smaller for women's. The surface was also made slower. The purpose is to make men's matches slower and women's faster, which makes no sense. Maybe they want to make women's event more interesting due to 'equality' political agenda.
Nole's were indeed bigger than anyone else's (Serena apart maybe).

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
They've been doing this to protect the top players in the men's game... but as mentioned today in another thread, they also need to prepare for the future

[...] It's a tightrope. I would love to see us shortly live through a period of increasing court speeds to see how the defence-based champs cope the other way around. It seems a no-brainer to me that it would not only allow variety and surface-speciality to thrive once more...but would allow for the all-too-rare upsets from younger generations to increase....and protect the tour from injury. The older stars are still clearly financially worth protecting on slow....but for how long? Fed and Nadal have one foot out the door....and then? They are going to want some stories.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Ball size difference can vary between 6.54–6.86 cm and weight between 56.0–59.4 g. Very small differences. Those are ITF standars. Women's ball is always lighter than one used for men's matches in slams. Purpose is to not get too slow tennis on women's side since they hit with less power. This is nothing new and unique to this USO.
IMHO, outside courts play just fine. It's the main courts with roof construction that are playing slower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts