Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below I have taken the liberty to edit the picture that ATP has reused many times with gradually increasing numbers. I didn't make the effort to copy the original text-style, as you can see, so my update for Djokovic's slam count and total big title count has a different font and background.

The discussion I wanted to initiate with this figure is the following: ATP has been marketing the "big title count" as a rival to the traditional "slam count" for quite some time now. However, my feeling is that the campaign has not been very successful. All discussions of which players that are truly great still seem to carry little weight on the big titles marketed by ATP. In connection with this, I have two questions to the MTF experts:

1) Is the minor weight currently given to "big titles" by both media and fans simply how it should be?
2) Can the persistent marketing of "big titles" made by ATP make a difference in the long run, eventually making media, fans, and players value the concept?

All opinions and arguments are welcome!

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Big titles are important for evaluation of Fedalovic' achievements, and of course (ITF's) GS resume is more important and widely known than (ATP's) WTF+Masters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts