Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have already been a lot of threads about the big three and their Masters achievements but I've never seen a graphical comparison of their performances over time (inspired by a thread about the GS wins of those players posted last week).

The first graph shows the cumulative amassed titles, whereas the second graph shows the finals reached (both winner or runner-up results).

To clarify: Both are sorted in the years they reached their respective birthdays. E.g. Nadal won his first Masters in Monte Carlo in 2005, at the age of 18. Still this result will count towards the "19 years" category since 2005 was the year in which he turned 19.

as of 05.05.2015

as of 05.05.2015

The Finals chart obviously tells a better story and paints more clear curves.
Nadal opened up a lead with his 5 finals in 2005 and has kept that margin over Djokovic until now. Djokovic's and Federer's curves have the same slope but are shifted by 1.5 and 3 years roughly, which means that they got to the same count of finals 1.5 and 3 years later respectively.
From the age of 22 until 27 the gap between them has been rather constant, even title wise if we draw a mean. Here though the gap is even bigger with 2 and 4 years shift respectively.

How about 2015 and the following years though? Will the slope gradient of Nadal and Djokovic change the same way as the one of Federer over the next 5 years? Or is Djokovic gonna spoil the pattern and push his winning ratio of nearly ~70% (23/33) in finals even higher? Is this the most likely outcome as of now or will Djokovic too be drained sooner than later and start regressing as well?

I will keep updating the graphs after every Masters. Send me a PM for suggestions/complains.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There have already been a lot of threads about the big three and their Masters achievements but I've never seen a graphical comparison of their performances over time (inspired by a thread about the GS wins of those players posted last week).

The first graph shows the cumulative amassed titles, whereas the second graph shows the finals reached (both winner or runner-up results).

To clarify: Both are sorted in the years they reached their respective birthdays. E.g. Nadal won his first Masters in Monte Carlo in 2005, at the age of 18. Still this result will count towards the "19 years" category since 2005 was the year in which he turned 19.

as of 05.05.2015

as of 05.05.2015

Nadal opened up a lead with his 5 finals in 2005 and has kept that margin over Djokovic until now. Djokovic's and Federer's curves have the same slope but are shifted by 1.5 and 3 years roughly, which means that they got to the same count of finals 1.5 and 3 years later respectively.
From the age of 22 until 27 the gap between them has been rather constant, even title wise if we draw a mean. Here though the gap is even bigger with 2 and 4 years shift respectively.

How about 2015 and the following years though? Will the slope gradient of Nadal and Djokovic change the same way as the one of Federer over the next 5 years? Or is Djokovic gonna spoil the pattern and push his winning ratio of nearly ~70% (23/33) in finals even higher? Is this the most likely outcome as of now or will Djokovic too be drained sooner than later and start regressing as well?

I will keep updating the graphs after every Masters. Send me a PM for suggestions/complains.
Good presentation . Just the facts and no hyperbole.
I wish people responding do not utter the words "weak era", "one surface" etc and keep this thread objective.
Pure statistical analysis is welcome.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Novak has won so many of these, and at an incredible rate too.

Credit to him for an amazing achievement here, no hate this time. ;)

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

as of 05.05.2015

as of 05.05.2015

Thanks for the analysis :yeah:

·
Registered
375 Posts
These charts help to prove Roger's greatness across all eras, "weak" or "strong." The Maestro has continued to rack up Masters titles and reach finals and put himself in the position to win them even in his older years as part of a "stronger" era.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes, good work. It would seem Djokovic, if following Fed's career path from now on, will end up with around 30 masters.

Average player has won 79,7% of their slams/masters at Djokovic's age which would mean his masters tally would be 29 in the end. May be higher though considering his recent results and no young rivals in sight.

Hard to say about Nadal. He could improve his curve nicely by winning Madrid&Rome. Or flatline by not winning anything. If following average player then he has already won 85% of his career titles and his masters tally will be around 32.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts