Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately on this forum, too many folks fail to read the times and smell the coffee; they persist down a blind alley led astray by their favourite players in a hopeless quest.
Murray won't win wimbledon, forget it. Nor will Wawrinka. It's become frighteningly clear that whoever can serve and volley his way to the final might lift the trophy. A huge shame as that will deprive us fan of tennis.

Why will this happen this year? Racket technology! With lighter stronger rackets, servers have more wrist work available to them without weight encumbrance. Extra wrist work means pin point accuracy. Lighter rackets means more energy transfer to the ball as opposed to diffusing it through lifting a formerly heavier racket for example. We saw wawrinka being extra cautious at time during exchanges so the ball wouldn't stray away. This new technology favours big servers and that's bad for the game.

Here's to a boring wimbledon. I can only hope big servers have a bad day and their mediocre game is put on full display as they lose out quickly!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Well done Jizzner on your maiden grand slam crown :worship:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
All sorts of narratives will spring up. But in the final analysis, as with most slams in recent times, it'll be a big 4 final. Book it.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,453 Posts
When was the last time a serve and volleyer won Wimbledon?

:facepalm:
Sampras, all the way back in 2000. The OP is talking complete nonsense, as usual.

The only big server who has any chance of getting far in Wimbledon is Raonic.

EDIT: Never mind, it was Ivanisevic in 2001.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All sorts of narratives will spring up. But in the final analysis, as with most slams in recent times, it'll be a big 4 final. Book it.
A big 4? Murray is going nowhere near the quarters. Regarding the rest, federer and Nadal are suspect. Wawrinka is a 4th round at most. Djokovic is a great returner so I give him a chance.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
90s are back baby

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,453 Posts
A big 4? Murray is going nowhere near the quarters. Regarding the rest, federer and Nadal are suspect. Wawrinka is a 4th round at most. Djokovic is a great returner so I give him a chance.
You completely disregard Andy as a potential finalist, yet think Nadal is only suspect? Amazing intelligence.
John Isner? No, I had in mind maybe Anderson or Raonic actually. Even cillic lost to troicki, that says it all.
You think Anderson has a shot at Wimbledon? You're hilarious.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Unfortunately on this forum, too many folks fail to read the times and smell the coffee; they persist down a blind alley led astray by their favourite players in a hopeless quest.
Murray won't win wimbledon, forget it. Nor will Wawrinka. It's become frighteningly clear that whoever can serve and volley his way to the final might lift the trophy. A huge shame as that will deprive us fan of tennis.

Why will this happen this year? Racket technology! With lighter stronger rackets, servers have more wrist work available to them without weight encumbrance. Extra wrist work means pin point accuracy. Lighter rackets means more energy transfer to the ball as opposed to diffusing it through lifting a formerly heavier racket for example. We saw wawrinka being extra cautious at time during exchanges so the ball wouldn't stray away. This new technology favours big servers and that's bad for the game.

Here's to a boring wimbledon. I can only hope big servers have a bad day and their mediocre game is put on full display as they lose out quickly!

hahahahahaaha

Im afraid the Wawrinka win at the french has driven u insane
Kindly tell us what the difference is is between last 8 years and this year in terms of racket technology.

Oh okay i get it now ur feeling salty about Andersons win and now u feel the world is ending and blaming it on racket technology.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I won't be that harsh as he did predict some big results in Slams, but then again, Halle has Nishikori, Florian Mayer and Seppi -- not necessarily big servers so your fear is still a bit premature.
Im not talking about Nishikori or a hasbeen like seppi lol.
Im talking about the Andersons of the world, Raonic, maybe just maybe Troicki.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Like I said, smell the coffee
Seems like you've been sniffing glue rather than smelling coffee.

None of the big four have any trouble with servebots whatsoever. Murray and Djokovic are two of the best returners of all time and Rogie aint bad against them either. Dull, of course, stands so far back that their serve doesn't matter. Stan has a very poor return and has terrible movement. He will be irrelevant for the rest of the year until Paris/WTF since he needs slow courts.

·
|
15,822 Posts
Nadal hit 14 aces vs Tomic in Stuttgart, and 9 aces in the 1st set of the Final vs Troicki.
Fortunately those were the only 2 matches Nadal served big, so he'll be able to catch his Wimbledon opponents unawares somewhat when he brings the 2010 USO serve to Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hahahahahaaha

Im afraid the Wawrinka win at the french has driven u insane
Kindly tell us what the difference is is between last 8 years and this year in terms of racket technology.

Oh okay i get it now ur feeling salty about Andersons win and now u feel the world is ending and blaming it on racket technology.
This has nothing to do with wawrinka.

I am actually worried by the exceptionally high serves percentages of some players this tournament.
I have never seen anyone serve 77% and average 125mph, and fire 5 aces on second serve, that's crazy.
Only racket technology can explain this!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts