Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently i decided to get into details and analyze how good are the big 4 at reaching the Grand Slams final stages (QF onwards) and how are they converting those opportunities.

Remember that as a player age their % of Quarterfinals reached might significantly drop*
Keep in mind that Federer has over 20 Grand Slams entries more than his rivals*

Summary : The Best Ratios

Novak reaches the Quarter-Final of a Slam 76% of the time.

Novak reaches the Semi-Final of a Slam 62% of the time.

Nadal reaches the Final of a Slam 46% of the time.

Nadal wins a GS 31% of the time he entered one.

Roger has the best QF winning rate with 84%.

Nadal has the best SF winning rate with 88%.

Nadal has the best F winning rate with 68%.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first thing to note in this analysis is that all the members of the Big 4 have similar percents of Quarterfinals reached taking into account the amount of GS they entered. Novak 76% Nadal 71% Federer 69% Murray 62%. This stat really gets you to think how consistent is Murray.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's incredible how Fed can still mantain a almost 70% of Quarterfinals reached with that amount of GS Played, Novak currently is the best on that category but it will surely dip down as he decline in the future.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It's incredible how Fed can still mantain a almost 70% of Quarterfinals reached with that amount of GS Played, Novak currently is the best on that category but it will surely deep down as he decline in the future.
I find Nadal's 49 percent final participation rate a stunning number. If the guy is fit, expect him in the final.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Summary :

Basically this :

Novak is the best trying to reach the Quarters 76% and Semis 62%,
Nadal is the best trying to reach Finals 49% and Winning GS 34%
Federer has the best % to reach Semis when in quarterfinals 82%
Nadal has the best % to reach the Final when in Semifinals 87% and quarterfinals 69%
Nadal has the best % to Win a GS when in a Final 70%, Semifinal 61% and quarterfinal 48%

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I find Nadal's 49 percent final participation rate a stunning number. If the guy is fit, expect him in the final.
Yeah its amazing how Nadal can reach a final per 2 Grand Slams played over his career. Truly stunning number. It helps that he has 9/11 at RG though :).

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Nadal probably has the most important stat won then

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nadal probably has the most important stat won then
Yeah Nadal has a 34% of winning a GS when entering the tournament, Federer is closely behind with a 27% Novak and Andy have 19% and 5% respectively.

Obviously Nadal's incredible Clay domination helps his stats.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Federer's conversion numbers are sick considering he's 20 slams entries over his younger competitors, which should have lowered his numbers significantly. I would like to see the numbers at 40 slams all.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Federer's conversion numbers are sick considering he's 20 slams entries over his younger competitors. I would like to see the numbers at 40 slams all.
Federer at 40 GS Entered

40 Grand Slams tournaments entered.

24 Quarterfinals reached [60% of total Grand Slams entered]

22 Semifinals reached [(55% of total GS entered) (92% CR of total QF reached)]

19 Finals reached [(48% of total GS entered) (86% CR of total SF - 79% CR of total QF reached)]

14 Grand Slams won [(35% of total GS entered) (74% CR of total F - 64% CR of total SF - 58% CR of total QF reached)]

Really impressive stats from Fed :worship:, Incredible that Fed and Nadal have almost exactly the same percentage of GS Wins per GS entered at 40 Grand Slams. 35% vs 34%

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Federer's conversion numbers are sick considering he's 20 slams entries over his younger competitors, which should have lowered his numbers significantly. I would like to see the numbers at 40 slams all.
Amazing how Fed's Quarterfinals appearence decrease from 69% to 60% meanwhile his finals reached jumped from 39% to 48% and Grand Slams wins from 27% to 35%.

Federer has made the QF of 20 of the last 24 Grand Slams :worship:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It helps that at one point he made 18 of 19 finals. :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great stats...No wonder they are called the Big 4 despite some Wawrinkas/Cilics spoliing their parties....
Yeah to put in perspective look at Wawrinka numbers for example and compare them to the big 4.

Stan Wawrinka

41 Grand Slams tournaments entered.

9 Quarterfinals reached [22% of total Grand Slams entered]

4 Semifinals reached [(10% of total GS entered) (44% CR of total QF reached)]

2 Finals reached [(5% of total GS entered) (50% CR of total SF - 22% CR of total QF reached)]

2 Grand Slams won [(5% of total GS entered) (100% CR of total F - 50% CR of total SF - 22% CR of total QF reached)]

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Federer has won a little over a quarter of the grand slams he's entered. That's insane. I suppose that stat will end by the time his career concludes due to sheer longevity, but still. Wow.

Nadal obviously has a higher percentage and it is also extremely impressive but he has played a lot less slams.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Federer has won a little over a quarter of the grand slams he's entered. That's insane. I suppose that stat will end by the time his career concludes due to sheer longevity, but still. Wow.

Nadal obviously has a higher percentage and it is also extremely impressive but he has played a lot less slams.
Yeah indeed, Federer has won 27% of all the GS he has entered, his percentage was similar to Nadal when he was on 40 GS entries (35%) really impressive taking into account his consistency in the main tour.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Wow! Some Amazing stats :hatoff: Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nadal's Grand Slam semifinal record is ridiculous... 20-3. :eek:
Yeah :

AO = 3-1
FO = 9-0
WB = 5-0
US = 3-2

If Nadal can reach the semis is almost a lock he is going to be in the final. 87% That number is out of this world.

We can count those three Semis loses :

2008 Australian open = Tsonga def Nadal : 6-2 6-3 6-2
2008 US Open = Murray def Nadal : 6-2 7-6 4-6 6-4
2009 US Open = Del Potro def Nadal : 6-2 6-2 6-2

1 - 20 of 83 Posts